the God term

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
11-05-2013, 04:00 PM
RE: the God term
(11-05-2013 03:50 PM)Tartarus Sauce Wrote:  So this one time I talked to a brick wall, but then I got bored really quickly.

How do you guys manage to go on for this long?

By really quickly I guess you mean you get bored after 2,228 posts.
Yeah, that's quick Big Grin

DISCLAIMER: If you find a message from me offensive, inappropriate, or disruptive, please ignore it.
If you don't know how to ignore a message, complain to me and I will be happy to demonstrate.

[Image: tta.php]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
11-05-2013, 04:37 PM
(11-05-2013 03:50 PM)Tartarus Sauce Wrote:  So this one time I talked to a brick wall, but then I got bored really quickly.

How do you guys manage to go on for this long?

Glutton for punishment? Consider

But now I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.

~ Umberto Eco
Find all posts by this user
11-05-2013, 04:59 PM (This post was last modified: 11-05-2013 05:22 PM by childeye.)
11-05-2013, 05:02 PM
the God term
(11-05-2013 01:36 PM)childeye Wrote:  
(11-05-2013 01:11 PM)evenheathen Wrote:  
Quote: I also have formed the plausible. That God being outside of time would be able to foretell the future before it happened because time itself is a part of the creation.

Possible, not plausible.

[quote] have always asserted that love is an absolute Truth in moral reasoning just like the bible does. You all have asked for me to qualify it and I am simply reciprocating as per your request.

Quote:You qualified it as a belief, not a fact.
From the very first page of this this thread: I consider the term God as a moral absolute. For example it would be synonymous to a moral Truth founded on the spiritual existence of Love or empathy.
Quote: Whether you agree or disagree cannot be ascertained by your statement.

Quote:I agree it is your imagination.
From The very first page of this thread: My reasons for not believing in religion are because I view religion as mankinds varying images of god but not necessarily thee God. But as a moral absolute, I therefore must believe everyone has some image of god.

That means you too imagine god when you imagine there is no god. Consequently, you and I are no different in that respect than from any one else. We all create an image of god. So let us avoid the hypocrisy here. Let's be honest.

Are you actually suggesting that anything imagined is real? Because we have a concept of God suddenly be becomes real?

Makes me curious how you define "real". My definition includes "not imaginary".

I have a thought experiment for you CE. This is just to help you get a clearer understanding of how your suggestions sound to me, an atheist. I do not mean this in jest. I'm quite serious.

Take any of your posts that include the word "God" and replace that word with the words "Santa Claus". Do this as you read it back to yourself as though this is someone else trying to convince you. This comes close to how you sound to me.

God is no more real to me than Santa Claus. I can imagine both. Regrettably, my visualization of Santa is clearer because his portrayals in real life are less ambiguous.
11-05-2013, 05:04 PM
(11-05-2013 04:59 PM)childeye Wrote:  Well there you have it in a nutshell. I am absolutley sure that my wishful thinking is in itself a confirmation bias and I would add that it could be nothing else.

Hey we reached a Truth we can all agree with.

(31-07-2014 04:37 PM)Luminon Wrote:  America is full of guns, but they're useless, because nobody has the courage to shoot an IRS agent in self-defense
11-05-2013, 05:08 PM
the God term
(11-05-2013 05:04 PM)Revenant77x Wrote:  
(11-05-2013 04:59 PM)childeye Wrote:  Well there you have it in a nutshell. I am absolutley sure that my wishful thinking is in itself a confirmation bias and I would add that it could be nothing else.

Hey we reached a Truth we can all agree with.

Admitting one has a problem is the first step to recovery. You're making progress CE. Stick around. You seem to be doing well.
11-05-2013, 05:25 PM
(11-05-2013 04:59 PM)childeye Wrote:  But what is your wishful thinking and unconfirmation bias? Your image of god is the one branded in your memory from religion as a contemptuous superstition. And therefore now you concieve that it is better to claim there is no God and it tickles your taint. Your image of gods does not even allow you to perceive that that which is God, is inside of all men, by definition. I'll say that again. Your view of gods does not even allow you to perceive that that which is God, is inside of all men, by definition. Hence you know love but you don't see God right in front of your face.

A better argument from me? That kinda makes me laugh. You're not arguing with me. I didn't invent it. Your arguing what is the Truth of God. You want a better argument when you haven't made a dent in this one. I already showed you that every point of reasoning walking away from the absolute Truth is hypocrisy and dishonesty. And why? Because God is Love. You have only been fighting yourself when you fight it. I just stand here and watch you punch yourself out.

For the millionth time MAN CREATED GOD IN HIS IMAGE (I capitalized everything since you enjoy capitalizing words to make them more true).

Thats it in a nutshell.

Having said that (again), it seems that we've struck a nerve. This idea you have is just the latest rebranding of god as YOU know it. You are right, you didn't invent it. Someone else did and it resonated with you...it doesn't resonate with everyone (meaning other christians).

Like I said somewhere earlier...what else would a child of the 60s believe? In twenty years, god will be something else.

Shoo fly

God is a concept by which we measure our pain -- John Lennon

11-05-2013, 05:49 PM (This post was last modified: 11-05-2013 06:29 PM by childeye.)
11-05-2013, 05:52 PM (This post was last modified: 11-05-2013 06:09 PM by childeye.)
(11-05-2013 05:08 PM)Cardinal Smurf Wrote:  
(11-05-2013 05:04 PM)Revenant77x Wrote:  Hey we reached a Truth we can all agree with.

Admitting one has a problem is the first step to recovery. You're making progress CE. Stick around. You seem to be doing well.
I didn't admit I have a problem. It was a compliment to be told I Love Love with a confirmation bias. Like saying I was a decent man.
11-05-2013, 06:01 PM
the God term
[+] 1 user Likes Cardinal Smurf's post