the God term

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
11-05-2013, 06:06 PM
RE: the God term
For the love of Sithis

"There is a circle here that links us to one another: we each want to be happy; the social feeling of love is one of our greatest sources of happiness; and love entails that we be concerned for the happiness of others. We discover that we can be selfish together."
-Sam Harris
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Chase's post
11-05-2013, 06:20 PM (This post was last modified: 11-05-2013 06:25 PM by childeye.)
11-05-2013, 06:33 PM (This post was last modified: 11-05-2013 08:10 PM by childeye.)
(11-05-2013 06:01 PM)Cardinal Smurf Wrote:  
(11-05-2013 05:49 PM)childeye Wrote:  I'm saying we all make moral decisions and that is reality. God is real because Love is real and our image of god defines our morality.
I can see how that would be confusing.

I have taken your test. I do understand this is how you imagine god, like Santa Claus, a superstition. I imagine this is very hard for you. This is exactly why I'm trying to straighten out your interpretation of scripture so that you're not confused.
If you would take your own test and everywhere you say god, say Love instead, and then maybe you can see what the writers of scripture are saying.

The writers of scripture are trying to say "Love is no more real to me than Santa Claus"? No, that doesn't seem to work. I'm pretty sure that's not what they were driving at. That statement isn't even true for myself. Love is real to me, it just isn't god. In fact I could posit that love is more real to me than god. But no that seems to suggest god has some semblance of reality for me, which is also untrue. No, sorry, I can't seem to make it work.

Did you have a post of mine in mind when you suggested I take my own test? Perhaps I'm misapplying it.
Yes I think I see the problem. I think you would have to put a title like the Truth everytime you say God to see how you've twisted what the term meant to the writers of scripture.
11-05-2013, 06:37 PM
(11-05-2013 06:06 PM)Chase Wrote:  For the love of Sithis
And God is Love:
"There is a circle here that links us to one another: we each want to be happy; the social feeling of love is one of our greatest sources of happiness; and love entails that we be concerned for the happiness of others. We discover that we can be selfish together."
-Sam Harris
11-05-2013, 07:07 PM
I don't even know what to say at this point. I'm waiting for barbecue to be done. God I love barbecue.

It tickles my taint. Barbecue is god. If you don't like barbecue you are a hypocrite. For if a man will not eat barbecue, he does not realize his love for veggies is false. For if a man will claim he loves veggies, his love for veggies will blind him to the deliciousness of barbecue. And though his belly longs for barbecue, he shall be blind to the taste and rather fill his belly with the evil that is veggies. If a man shall declare his love for barbecue, he may desire false barbecue, and not see the true barbecue for the false has filled his belly with fat and char, not the true meat. And thus his hunger is deceived. And he is like the lover of veggies. It is true, so sayeth the cookbook.

Foods ready, I need another drink.

But now I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.

~ Umberto Eco
[+] 1 user Likes evenheathen's post
11-05-2013, 07:08 PM (This post was last modified: 11-05-2013 07:36 PM by childeye.)
11-05-2013, 07:10 PM
(11-05-2013 07:07 PM)evenheathen Wrote:  I don't even know what to say at this point. I'm waiting for barbecue to be done. God I love barbecue.

It tickles my taint. Barbecue is god. If you don't like barbecue you are a hypocrite. For if a man will not eat barbecue, he does not realize his love for veggies is false. For if a man will claim he loves veggies, his love for veggies will blind him to the deliciousness of barbecue. And though his belly longs for barbecue, he shall be blind to the taste and rather fill his belly with the evil that is veggies. If a man shall declare his love for barbecue, he may desire false barbecue, and not see the true barbecue for the false has filled his belly with fat and char, not the true meat. And thus his hunger is deceived. And he is like the lover of veggies. It is true, so sayeth the cookbook.

Foods ready, I need another drink.
This was hilarious. Do it again.
11-05-2013, 07:16 PM
(10-05-2013 10:22 PM)childeye Wrote:  
(10-05-2013 03:20 PM)fstratzero Wrote:  If we can not know the nature of this being then we cannot decide it's goodness or badness. We must wait before making a decision to worship it or not. We don't even know if the thing you call god is a god. I might be a very powerful being that isn't god at all.
It doesn't do any good to be guessing at whether God is good or not. I'm saying He is Love. Love is good. Love gives us the ability to judge what is good.

Quote:So far the claim of eternal life has been discounted, spirits have been shown to be false, and all other claims of your god have been discounted.
What are you talking about? Spirits aren't whilte sheets floating around. They are emotions. Those things that make up our our countenance. Love has never been discounted and noeither has eternal life. Remember that the fact that time itself is part of the creation indicates alternate dimensions.

Quote:Now how can you tell a powerful alien who can travel through the dimensions, and control energy, matter, space, time from god?
Look God as Love lives in each and everyone of us. I think aliens do this also, just in a different way. Aliens jump out of an egg and wrap their tails around your throat while they cover your face and impregnate you, so they can latter bust out of your chest.

John 10
37 Do not believe me unless I do the works of my Father. 38 But if I do them, even though you do not believe me, believe the works, that you may know and understand that the Father is in me, and I in the Father.”

Even Jesus expected us to require evidence.

What I'm trying to get across is that not only is there not enough evidence to believe in such a thing. That because you do not know anything about this god other than love, you can not assume that it is all loving.

Member of the Cult of Reason

The atheist is a man who destroys the imaginary things which afflict the human race, and so leads men back to nature, to experience and to reason.
-Baron d'Holbach-
Bitcion:1DNeQMswMdvx4xLPP6qNE7RkeTwXGC7Bzp
[+] 2 users Like fstratzero's post
11-05-2013, 07:28 PM
(11-05-2013 07:16 PM)fstratzero Wrote:  
(10-05-2013 10:22 PM)childeye Wrote:  It doesn't do any good to be guessing at whether God is good or not. I'm saying He is Love. Love is good. Love gives us the ability to judge what is good.

What are you talking about? Spirits aren't whilte sheets floating around. They are emotions. Those things that make up our our countenance. Love has never been discounted and noeither has eternal life. Remember that the fact that time itself is part of the creation indicates alternate dimensions.

Look God as Love lives in each and everyone of us. I think aliens do this also, just in a different way. Aliens jump out of an egg and wrap their tails around your throat while they cover your face and impregnate you, so they can latter bust out of your chest.

John 10
37 Do not believe me unless I do the works of my Father. 38 But if I do them, even though you do not believe me, believe the works, that you may know and understand that the Father is in me, and I in the Father.”

What I'm trying to get across is that not only is there not enough evidence to believe in such a thing. That because you do not know anything about this god other than love, you can not assume that it is all loving.
Non sequitur. That makes no sense. Since I only know Him as Love I of course must assume He is Loving.

John 10
37 Do not believe me unless I do the works of my Father, Love. 38 But if I do them, even though you do not believe me, believe the works of Love, that you may know and understand that the Father is in me, and I in the Father.”
11-05-2013, 07:33 PM (This post was last modified: 11-05-2013 07:48 PM by fstratzero.)
(11-05-2013 07:28 PM)childeye Wrote:  
(11-05-2013 07:16 PM)fstratzero Wrote:  John 10

Non sequitur. That makes no sense. Since I only know Him as Love I of course must assume He is Loving.

John 10
37 Do not believe me unless I do the works of my Father, Love. 38 But if I do them, even though you do not believe me, believe the works of Love, that you may know and understand that the Father is in me, and I in the Father.”

Confirmation Bias

(also called confirmatory bias or myside bias) is a tendency of people to favor information that confirms their beliefs or hypotheses. People display this bias when they gather or remember information selectively, or when they interpret it in a biased way. The effect is stronger for emotionally charged issues and for deeply entrenched beliefs.

I've provided you with arguments against his "loving" nature.

From he created evil, since he created everything.
He creates people who cannot otherwise be good.
The record of his own behavior, and rules he doesn't have to follow but you are supposed to follow, are a testament to his own hypocrisy.
He does nothing to help people.

According to the World Health Organization, hunger is the single gravest threat to the world's public health. The WHO also states that malnutrition is by far the biggest contributor to child mortality, present in half of all cases. Figures on actual starvation are difficult to come by, but according to the FAO, the less severe condition of undernourishment currently affects about 925 million people, or about 13.5% of the world population.

I've given you reasons why you can't even tell the difference between a god and an advanced inter-dimensional being, or a god with bad intent using the feeling of love as a drug to string you along.

Even with all these arguments you proceed to claim he is love. Why? How do these things not bother you?

What test have you done to find out if he bears any resemblance to love?

Member of the Cult of Reason

The atheist is a man who destroys the imaginary things which afflict the human race, and so leads men back to nature, to experience and to reason.
-Baron d'Holbach-
Bitcion:1DNeQMswMdvx4xLPP6qNE7RkeTwXGC7Bzp
[+] 3 users Like fstratzero's post