the God term

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
11-05-2013, 09:10 PM
RE: the God term
People have suffered and become insane for centuries by the thought of eternal punishment after death. Wouldn't it be better to depend on blind matter (...) than by a god who puts out traps for people, invites them to sin, and allows them to sin and commit crimes he could prevent. Only to finally get the barbarian pleasure to punish them in an excessive way, of no use for himself, without them changing their ways and without their example preventing others from committing crimes.
Baron d'Holbach

Member of the Cult of Reason

The atheist is a man who destroys the imaginary things which afflict the human race, and so leads men back to nature, to experience and to reason.
-Baron d'Holbach-
Bitcion:1DNeQMswMdvx4xLPP6qNE7RkeTwXGC7Bzp
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like fstratzero's post
11-05-2013, 09:10 PM
(11-05-2013 08:35 PM)childeye Wrote:  
(11-05-2013 08:28 PM)fstratzero Wrote:  Yes actually the term love was was invented by humans to cover a range of emotions.

The English word love can refer to a variety of different feelings, states, and attitudes, ranging from pleasure ("I loved that meal") to interpersonal attraction ("I love my partner"). It can refer to an emotion of a strong affection and personal attachment. It can also be a virtue representing human kindness, compassion, and affection—"the unselfish loyal and benevolent concern for the good of another". And it may describe compassionate and affectionate actions towards other humans, one's self or animals.
I'm not talking about the term Love. Men didn't invent what the term is used to describe.

Like the god term?

Just a word given by men, who created something in their image to explain everything .

Got it...good.

Shop fly.

God is a concept by which we measure our pain -- John Lennon

[+] 1 user Likes Momsurroundedbyboys's post
11-05-2013, 09:22 PM
(11-05-2013 09:10 PM)fstratzero Wrote:  People have suffered and become insane for centuries by the thought of eternal punishment after death. Wouldn't it be better to depend on blind matter (...) than by a god who puts out traps for people, invites them to sin, and allows them to sin and commit crimes he could prevent. Only to finally get the barbarian pleasure to punish them in an excessive way, of no use for himself, without them changing their ways and without their example preventing others from committing crimes.
Baron d'Holbach

But man invented god...so man set those traps and is responsible for suffering. They just blame it on their creation to create plausible deniability.

and keep the money coming in.

[+] 1 user Likes Momsurroundedbyboys's post
11-05-2013, 09:28 PM (This post was last modified: 11-05-2013 09:41 PM by fstratzero.)
(11-05-2013 09:22 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  
(11-05-2013 09:10 PM)fstratzero Wrote:  People have suffered and become insane for centuries by the thought of eternal punishment after death. Wouldn't it be better to depend on blind matter (...) than by a god who puts out traps for people, invites them to sin, and allows them to sin and commit crimes he could prevent. Only to finally get the barbarian pleasure to punish them in an excessive way, of no use for himself, without them changing their ways and without their example preventing others from committing crimes.
Baron d'Holbach

But man invented god...so man set those traps and is responsible for suffering. They just blame it on their creation to create plausible deniability.

and keep the money coming in.

You need to read these quotes.
http://iperceptive.com/authors/baron_d_h...uotes.html

And his books. I think you would love them. Worth the reading. I recommend, Good Sense, and System of Nature Vol 1 & 2

http://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/author/2420

Member of the Cult of Reason

The atheist is a man who destroys the imaginary things which afflict the human race, and so leads men back to nature, to experience and to reason.
-Baron d'Holbach-
Bitcion:1DNeQMswMdvx4xLPP6qNE7RkeTwXGC7Bzp
[+] 2 users Like fstratzero's post
11-05-2013, 10:19 PM
Quote:Is there any thing more contradictory, than an intelligent and omnipotent workman, who only produces to destroy?
Baron d'Holbach

This one right here. This, I think, sums up the final argument in my mind towards god. There is nothing more contradictory. Take a look at the known history of man.

Destruction.

Man was busy killing and destroying before god showed up. Man was enabled, encouraged and blessed by god to kill and destroy while he was around. And for thousands of years after he left us to our own devices, we are busy killing and destroying.

We created the notion of god in order to justify the killer instinct in us. The thinking mind has brought us farther as a species than any could imagine, yet this thinking mind gives us the most inane reasoning that can be imagined to continue the savage brutality towards our fellow man. The notion of god makes this possible.

If there ever was a god, it gives no hint of compassion, empathy, or love for it's creation. If there ever was a god, man has evolved a sense of love far surpassing that of their creator, this it true.

I can imagine a great, loving god. I can in no way imagine that this world is in any way, shape or form an extension of any part of that god.

But now I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.

~ Umberto Eco
[+] 4 users Like evenheathen's post
11-05-2013, 11:30 PM
the God term
I'm with evenheathen on this new philosophy. I've decided to commit my life to BBQ. how must I worship?

Does pulled pork count as True Meat? Will the cole slaw topping it defile it in any way. Does the True Meat have the power to sanctify that which is veggie?
[+] 1 user Likes Cardinal Smurf's post
11-05-2013, 11:36 PM
(11-05-2013 11:30 PM)Cardinal Smurf Wrote:  I'm with evenheathen on this new philosophy. I've decided to commit my life to BBQ. how must I worship?

Does pulled pork count as True Meat? Will the cole slaw topping it defile it in any way. Does the True Meat have the power to sanctify that which is veggie?

Pork is fine ribs brisket and butte are all good. But do not bring the blaspheme that is tri-tip and call it Barbecue. Grilled steak is not BBQ. Heathens.

(31-07-2014 04:37 PM)Luminon Wrote:  America is full of guns, but they're useless, because nobody has the courage to shoot an IRS agent in self-defense
[+] 3 users Like Revenant77x's post
12-05-2013, 10:22 AM
Would anyone be so kind as to write a summary of this thread?
I don't want/have the time to read 2,265 posts.

Note: You're free to ignore those posts that tried to derail the conversation.

Thank you, I'll be waiting Drinking Beverage

DISCLAIMER: If you find a message from me offensive, inappropriate, or disruptive, please ignore it.
If you don't know how to ignore a message, complain to me and I will be happy to demonstrate.

[Image: tta.php]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
12-05-2013, 10:27 AM
(12-05-2013 10:22 AM)KVron Wrote:  Would anyone be so kind as to write a summary of this thread?
I don't want/have the time to read 2,265 posts.

Note: You're free to ignore those posts that tried to derail the conversation.

Thank you, I'll be waiting Drinking Beverage

childeye: God is Love.
everyone else: No, love is an emotion.
childeye: God is Love. Love is Truth.
everyone else: That's your definition.
everyone else: Love is a human emotion.
childeye: God is Truth is Love.
everyone else: You haven't responded to any of the comments.
everyone else: WTF.

Glad to be of service.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 4 users Like Chas's post
12-05-2013, 10:31 AM
my husband is grilling marinated meat and chicken for Mother's Day. We're having a thai slaw too....

Sloe Gin Fizzes and Champaign.

He said I won't have to do anything. We'll see. I hope he's right. He's raising the bar for father's day...damn him. So I'm already planning...

I'm thinking of learning to make cannoli.