the God term

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
15-04-2013, 08:40 PM
RE: the God term
(15-04-2013 08:05 PM)childeye Wrote:  Not true. God has been defined as Love for millenia in numerous cultures and religions. I did not make it up as you propose. I am just agreeing that this makes sense pertaining to the moral imperative.

Perhaps, but more importantly, it conflicts with the Prime Directive an unforgiveable breech of the Guiding Principles of the UFP.

You might want to reconsider what you have said here, especially in light of the following, and I quote:

"The only stated exception to the Prime Directive is the Omega Directive. Whenever the Omega Directive is in force, the Prime Directive is effectively rescinded."

“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man’s reasoning powers are not above the monkey’s.”~Mark Twain
“Ocean: A body of water occupying about two-thirds of a world made for man - who has no gills.”~ Ambrose Bierce
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
15-04-2013, 08:41 PM
(15-04-2013 08:38 PM)Revenant77x Wrote:  
(15-04-2013 08:32 PM)childeye Wrote:  There is a record here. I don't recall putting words in peoples mouths, nor changing my story. Be specific as to what you are talking about. That would be helpful. I suspect this has something to do with me saying my dog was a theist in the sense that she has empathy. I am sorry if you misunderstood that.

This is not worth getting upset over. What definitions do you feel I am butchering? I gave dictionary definitions for theist and spirit that are commonly recognized.

Meanwhile, would you please be so kind as to answer the question about the widely recognized term of God as Love? Do you simply not accept such a definition as your basis for atheism? Or are you saying you realize that Love is universally recognized as God, the moral imperative, but don't agree? Otherwise, please supply your definition of god as pertaining to what you don't believe in.

1god noun \ˈgäd also ˈgȯd\

Definition of GOD

capitalized : the supreme or ultimate reality: as
a : the Being perfect in power, wisdom, and goodness who is worshipped as creator and ruler of the universe
b Christian Science : the incorporeal divine Principle ruling over all as eternal Spirit : infinite Mind
: a being or object believed to have more than natural attributes and powers and to require human worship; specifically : one controlling a particular aspect or part of reality
: a person or thing of supreme value
: a powerful ruler

love noun \ˈləv\

Definition of LOVE

a (1) : strong affection for another arising out of kinship or personal ties <maternal love for a child> (2) : attraction based on sexual desire : affection and tenderness felt by lovers (3) : affection based on admiration, benevolence, or common interests <love for his old schoolmates>
b : an assurance of affection <give her my love>
: warm attachment, enthusiasm, or devotion <love of the sea>
a : the object of attachment, devotion, or admiration <baseball was his first love>
b (1) : a beloved person : darling —often used as a term of endearment (2) British —used as an informal term of address
a : unselfish loyal and benevolent concern for the good of another: as (1) : the fatherly concern of God for humankind (2) : brotherly concern for others
b : a person's adoration of God
: a god or personification of love
: an amorous episode : love affair
: the sexual embrace : copulation
: a score of zero (as in tennis)

(31-07-2014 04:37 PM)Luminon Wrote:  America is full of guns, but they're useless, because nobody has the courage to shoot an IRS agent in self-defense
15-04-2013, 08:42 PM
(15-04-2013 08:32 PM)Phaedrus Wrote:  
(15-04-2013 08:05 PM)childeye Wrote:  Not true. God has been defined as Love for millenia in numerous cultures and religions. I did not make it up as you propose. I am just agreeing that this makes sense pertaining to the moral imperative.

Not really, unless you're incapable of understanding Saul's metaphors, which is pretty weak.Drinking Beverage
To which metaphors are you refering?
15-04-2013, 08:44 PM
(15-04-2013 08:41 PM)Revenant77x Wrote:  
(15-04-2013 08:38 PM)Revenant77x Wrote:  1god noun \ˈgäd also ˈgȯd\

Definition of GOD

a : the Being perfect in power, wisdom, and goodness who is worshipped as creator and ruler of the universe
b Christian Science : the incorporeal divine Principle ruling over all as eternal Spirit : infinite Mind
: a being or object believed to have more than natural attributes and powers and to require human worship; specifically : one controlling a particular aspect or part of reality

love noun \ˈləv\

Definition of LOVE

a (1) : strong affection for another arising out of kinship or personal ties <maternal love for a child> (2) : attraction based on sexual desire : affection and tenderness felt by lovers (3) : affection based on admiration, benevolence, or common interests <love for his old schoolmates>
a : the object of attachment, devotion, or admiration <baseball was his first love>
b (1) : a beloved person : darling —often used as a term of endearment (2) British —used as an informal term of address
a : unselfish loyal and benevolent concern for the good of another: as (1) : the fatherly concern of God for humankind (2) : brotherly concern for others

Funny Merriam Webster disagrees with you since he has god and love down with 2 separate definitions.

(31-07-2014 04:37 PM)Luminon Wrote:  America is full of guns, but they're useless, because nobody has the courage to shoot an IRS agent in self-defense
15-04-2013, 08:49 PM
(15-04-2013 08:32 PM)childeye Wrote:  
(15-04-2013 08:05 PM)cheapthrillseaker Wrote:  You used wordplay and then ask me to go find it... meanwhile you spend your time butchering definitions of words, putting words in other people's mouths, taking back your own words and then changing your story not long after...
There is a record here. I don't recall putting words in peoples mouths, nor changing my story. Be specific as to what you are talking about. That would be helpful. I suspect this has something to do with me saying my dog was a theist in the sense that she has empathy. I am sorry if you misunderstood that.

This is not worth getting upset over. What definitions do you feel I am butchering? I gave dictionary definitions for theist and spirit that are commonly recognized.

Meanwhile, would you please be so kind as to answer the question about the widely recognized term of God as Love? Do you simply not accept such a definition as your basis for atheism? Or are you saying you realize that Love is universally recognized as God, the moral imperative, but don't agree? Otherwise, please supply your definition of god as pertaining to what you don't believe in.

Shoo fly

God is a concept by which we measure our pain -- John Lennon

15-04-2013, 09:26 PM
(15-04-2013 07:51 PM)Revenant77x Wrote:  No it's just the modus operandi by which life gains it's characteristics. Evolution is blind and has no goal it merely has a few very harsh rules.
Blind but has a few harsh rules? Sounds like you're describing a person.

Quote:My inclusion of an example of 2 members of the same Kingdom (Reptile) that evolved different parental skills was merely to prove that love is not necessarily needed to reproduce but is helpful and there by evolutionarily beneficial if the young require aid.
I appreciate what you are saying. Empathy is not necessary in snakes for survival but helpful for crocodiles.

Quote:I wonder though why do you feel the need to project God onto systems that are already defined and work perfectly well without it? First it was Love or empathy now it is evolution.
That sounds like a thoughtful question. If you are refering to nature when speaking of systems, I would point out that man is devastating nature. Consequently it would be helpful if men cared about the planet system we live on which sustains life. Greed and avarice have always been seen as the opposites of Love. I happen to believe in a spiritual enemy to God, which works upon the wills of men to decieve mankind into doing what is not in our best interests.

I don't know what you mean by first it was Love or empathy and now evolution. I assume you are refering to the term God applied first to Love, then evolution. I have in numerous places called the term an absolute Truth as in a self sacrificing Love. So it is that the term would be applied to that which people hold to be true even if it is not. Hence there would be false gods. Any lie will serve as a disruptor of Truth and there can be many lies. In this, I am saying that any belief that would cause a man to turn from a self sacrificing Love is a lie, a false god.
15-04-2013, 09:31 PM
(15-04-2013 08:40 PM)Full Circle Wrote:  

Perhaps, but more importantly, it conflicts with the Prime Directive an unforgiveable breech of the Guiding Principles of the UFP.

You might want to reconsider what you have said here, especially in light of the following, and I quote:

"The only stated exception to the Prime Directive is the Omega Directive. Whenever the Omega Directive is in force, the Prime Directive is effectively rescinded."
I'm sorry, full circle. I am not acquainted with that which is described as the guiding principles of the UFP. Nor do I comprehend what are the prime and omega directives.
15-04-2013, 09:41 PM
(15-04-2013 08:41 PM)Revenant77x Wrote:  
(15-04-2013 08:38 PM)Revenant77x Wrote:  1god noun \ˈgäd also ˈgȯd\

Definition of GOD

love noun \ˈləv\

Definition of LOVE

Thanks for your definiton of what you don't believe in. I can't say I believe in all the terms you have provided as being God except for 1a. I agree with many of the definitions of Love. I would point out #5 describing much the same I have said here. I hope this would put to rest the claim that I have made up this definition since it appears in the definitions you have provided.
15-04-2013, 09:43 PM
(15-04-2013 09:31 PM)childeye Wrote:  
(15-04-2013 08:40 PM)Full Circle Wrote:  Perhaps, but more importantly, it conflicts with the Prime Directive an unforgiveable breech of the Guiding Principles of the UFP.

I'm sorry, full circle. I am not acquainted with that which is described as the guiding principles of the UFP. Nor do I comprehend what are the prime and omega directives.

This is what is sounds like to me reading your posts when you use ambiguous terms like self sacrificing Love, God as Love, moral imperative...throw in a theistic canine - Dog as God and well...what we have here is a verbal stew of nonsensical but important sounding sound bites.

the above is from Star Trek

“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man’s reasoning powers are not above the monkey’s.”~Mark Twain
“Ocean: A body of water occupying about two-thirds of a world made for man - who has no gills.”~ Ambrose Bierce
15-04-2013, 09:45 PM
(15-04-2013 08:28 PM)Full Circle Wrote:  
(15-04-2013 07:19 PM)childeye Wrote:  Please note, I was not taught to cry or laugh, feel sorrow, nor joy. happiness, contentment, fear, terror, anger, etc...etc...

you can add critical thinking to that list
I see critical thinking as a learned attribute.