the God term

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
12-05-2013, 05:17 PM
RE: the God term
(12-05-2013 05:14 PM)childeye Wrote:  
(12-05-2013 04:50 PM)Revenant77x Wrote:  I saw a thing once where someone took all the stuff God did in the bible changed his name and said he was the dictator of a small country and asked for people to sign a petition condemning his actions. Needless to say most people were offended when they realised that the petition they had signed was about their Lovable friend God.
But of course, that is the whole point of it. God Himself says He is slandered by the same blindness that crucifies the Christ. Consequently in that same blindness that this someone did this that you post, I am sure he did not even include the life of Jesus as any example of God, the very man sent by God to clear up His Own Name and Image.

I'm so sorry but really?!

Jesus was god's public relations man?

hahahahahaha

I apologize.

Member of the Cult of Reason

The atheist is a man who destroys the imaginary things which afflict the human race, and so leads men back to nature, to experience and to reason.
-Baron d'Holbach-
Bitcion:1DNeQMswMdvx4xLPP6qNE7RkeTwXGC7Bzp
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
12-05-2013, 05:18 PM
(12-05-2013 05:14 PM)childeye Wrote:  
(12-05-2013 04:50 PM)Revenant77x Wrote:  I saw a thing once where someone took all the stuff God did in the bible changed his name and said he was the dictator of a small country and asked for people to sign a petition condemning his actions. Needless to say most people were offended when they realised that the petition they had signed was about their Lovable friend God.
But of course, that is the whole point of it. God Himself says He is slandered by the same blindness that crucifies the Christ. Consequently in that same blindness that this someone did this that you post, I am sure he did not even include the life of Jesus as any example of God, the very man sent by God to clear up His Own Name and Image.

He is slandered by his own press clippings, much the way that the pacifist Charles Manson is slandered by his press.

If your going to claim the bible and jesus as your source of inspiration there is a ton of baggage that goes along with it. Ignoring it just makes you look stupid.

(31-07-2014 04:37 PM)Luminon Wrote:  America is full of guns, but they're useless, because nobody has the courage to shoot an IRS agent in self-defense
12-05-2013, 05:18 PM
stupid thread breaking...

The atheist is a man who destroys the imaginary things which afflict the human race, and so leads men back to nature, to experience and to reason.
-Baron d'Holbach-
12-05-2013, 05:26 PM
(12-05-2013 05:06 PM)Chas Wrote:  
(12-05-2013 05:03 PM)childeye Wrote:  Only if you don't see the metaphor. Besides you're not even responding to the intent of my story. I would like to know if atheists can picture themselves as perceiving an ephod as a perceived god?

Atheists don't perceive anything as god. Don't be so fucking stupid.
Yes, of course I know that. The point is that we misinterpret what scripture says because of it, and then count ourselves knowledgeable about such things that we can't even perceive according to our own words. A prime example of the blindness I am well acquainted with, that afflicts all men.
12-05-2013, 05:27 PM (This post was last modified: 12-05-2013 05:34 PM by fstratzero.)
(12-05-2013 05:26 PM)childeye Wrote:  
(12-05-2013 05:06 PM)Chas Wrote:  Atheists don't perceive anything as god. Don't be so fucking stupid.
Yes, of course I know that. The point is that we misinterpret what scripture says because of it, and then count ourselves knowledgeable about such things that we can't even perceive according to our own words. A prime example of the blindness I am well acquainted with, that afflicts all men.

If you cannot perceive him then how do you know he is love?

To pretend, that the divine attributes are beyond the reach of human conception, is to grant, that God is not made for man. To assure us, that, in God, all is infinite, is to own that there can be nothing common to him and his creatures. If there be nothing common to God and his creatures, God is annihilated for man, or, at least, rendered useless to him. "God," they say, "has made man intelligent, but he has not made him omniscient;" hence it is inferred, that he has not been able to give him faculties sufficiently enlarged to know his divine essence. In this case, it is evident, that God has not been able nor willing to be known by his creatures. By what right then would God be angry with beings, who were naturally incapable of knowing the divine essence? God would be evidently the most unjust and capricious of tyrants, if he should punish an Atheist for not having known, what, by his nature, it was impossible he should know.

-Baron d'Holbach-
[+] 1 user Likes fstratzero's post
12-05-2013, 05:38 PM
THE principles of every religion are founded upon the idea of a God. Now, it is impossible to have true ideas of a being, who acts upon none of our senses. All our ideas are representations of sensible objects. What then can represent to us the idea of God, which is evidently an idea without an object? Is not such an idea as impossible, as an effect without a cause Can an idea without an archetype be any thing, but a chimera There are however, divines, who assure us that the idea of God is innate; or that we have this in our mother's womb. Every principle is the result of reason; all reason is the result of experience; experience is acquired only by the exercise of our senses: therefore religious principles are not founded upon reason, and are not innate.

Every systern of religion can be founded only upon the nature of God and man; and upon the relations which subsist between them. But to judge of the reality of those relations, we must have some idea of the divine nature. Now, the world exclaims, the divine nature is incomprehensible to man; yet ceases not to assign attribtites to this incomprehensible God, and to assure us, that it is our indispensable duty to find out that God, whom it is impossible to comprehend.

The most important concern of man is what he can least comprehend. If God is incomprehensible to man, it would seem reasonable never to think of him; but religion maintains, man cannot with impunity cease a moment to think (or rather dream) of his God.

We are told, that divine qualities are not of a nature to be comprehended by finite minds. The natural consequence must be, that divine qualities are not made to occupy finite minds. But religion tells us, that the poor finite mind of man ought never to lose sight of an inconceivable being whose qualities he can never comprehend. Thus we see, religion is the art of turning the attention of mankind upon subjects they can never comprehend.

Religion unites man with God, or forms a communication between them; yet do you not say, God is infinite? If God be infinite, no finite being can have communication or relation with him. Where there can be no relation, there can be no union, communication, or duties. If there be no duties between man and his God, there is no religion for man. Thus; in saying God is infinite, you annihilate religion or man, who is a finite being. The idea of infinity, is to us an idea without model, without archetype, without object.

If God be an infinite being, there cannot be either in the present, or future world, any relative proportion between man and his God. Thus, the idea of God can never enter the human mind. In supposition of a life, in which man would be much more enlightened than in this, the idea of the infinity of God would ever remain the same distance from his infinite mind. Thus the idea of God will be no more clear in the future, than in the present life. Thus intelligences superior to man, can have no more complete ideas of God, than man, who has not the least conception of him in the present life.

-Baron d'Holbach-
12-05-2013, 05:38 PM
(12-05-2013 05:27 PM)fstratzero Wrote:  
(12-05-2013 05:26 PM)childeye Wrote:  Yes, of course I know that. The point is that we misinterpret what scripture says because of it, and then count ourselves knowledgeable about such things that we can't even perceive according to our own words. A prime example of the blindness I am well acquainted with, that afflicts all men.
Quote:If you cannot perceive him then how do you know he is love?
Because of course I am talking about before I perceived.

To pretend, that the divine attributes are beyond the reach of human conception, is to grant, that God is not made for man. To assure us, that, in God, all is infinite, is to own that there can be nothing common to him and his creatures. If there be nothing common to God and his creatures, God is annihilated for man, or, at least, rendered useless to him. "God," they say, "has made man intelligent, but he has not made him omniscient;" hence it is inferred, that he has not been able to give him faculties sufficiently enlarged to know his divine essence. In this case, it is evident, that God has not been able nor willing to be known by his creatures. By what right then would God be angry with beings, who were naturally incapable of knowing the divine essence? God would be evidently the most unjust and capricious of tyrants, if he should punish an Atheist for not having known, what, by his nature, it was impossible he should know.
But of course he is entirely intimate with His creation, for all of Life is His energy from the beginning. Man is only finding out His divine essence within ourselves..
[+] 1 user Likes childeye's post
12-05-2013, 05:43 PM (This post was last modified: 12-05-2013 05:59 PM by fstratzero.)
(12-05-2013 05:38 PM)childeye Wrote:  
(12-05-2013 05:27 PM)fstratzero Wrote:  Because of course I am talking about before I perceived.

But of course he is entirely intimate with His creation, for all of Life is His energy from the beginning. Man is only finding out His divine essence within ourselves..

Wait. So god is imperceptible but we can perceive him. WAT?

If we as a species cannot detect him through instrumentation, indirect means, or directly, we cannot know anything about god. How do you or anybody have knowledge of god?

Also all the energy for life and the building blocks of life come from stars that exploded. Now a star provides energy for all of life. Evidence supports this.

-Baron d'Holbach-
12-05-2013, 06:11 PM (This post was last modified: 12-05-2013 06:22 PM by childeye.)
(12-05-2013 05:43 PM)fstratzero Wrote:  
(12-05-2013 05:38 PM)childeye Wrote:  But of course he is entirely intimate with His creation, for all of Life is His energy from the beginning. Man is only finding out His divine essence within ourselves..

Wait. So god is imperceptible but we can perceive him. WAT?

If we as a species cannot detect him through instrumentation, indirect means, or directly, we cannot know anything about god. How do you or anybody have knowledge of god?

Also all the energy for life and the building blocks of life come from stars that exploded. Now a star provides energy for all of life. Evidence supports this.
You are misunderstanding my posts. I never said we cannot perceive God. I was replying to Chas and his saying we as atheists don't percieve God. I answered by saying that this causes atheists to misinterpret the bible, and pointed out the error, that they claim to know better about such spiritually moral things which they also claim they don't even perceive.
I am trying to point out hypocritical reasoning in the nicest way possible, so I also count myself the same because though I now do perceive is where once I didn't..
So long as stars are the product of the big bang it doesn't matter, for their energy came from the big bang as all things in the universe do. All of everything comes from a singularity. Hence if God created the universe, for us their must be monotheism.
12-05-2013, 06:22 PM
(12-05-2013 06:11 PM)childeye Wrote:  
(12-05-2013 05:43 PM)fstratzero Wrote:  Wait. So god is imperceptible but we can perceive him. WAT?

You are misunderstanding my posts. I never said we cannot perceive God. I was replying to Chas and his saying we as atheists don't percieve God. I answered by saying that this causes atheists to misinterpret the bible, and pointed out the error, that they claim to know better about such spiritually moral things which they also claim they don't even perceive.
I am trying to point out hypocritical reasoning in the nicest way possible, so I also count myself the same because though I now do perceive is where once I didn't..
So long as stars are the product of the big bang it doesn't matter, for their energy came from the big bang as all things in the universe do.

How does one perceive this god?

-Baron d'Holbach-