RE: the God term
Bullshit meter going off

God is a concept by which we measure our pain -- John Lennon

Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
12-05-2013, 10:54 PM
(12-05-2013 10:42 PM)childeye Wrote:  
(12-05-2013 10:04 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  I'm actually sorry that happened (really can't believe I'm saying that). Guess those mods might have felt you'd already said it all and were just repeating yourself?

What were you saying about free will? If you don't mind me asking?
Not at all, I welcome the diversion. Basically the theology of freewill\no freewill ends up either blaming God or blaming man for all the bad things that happen. I suspect you knwo this. The problem is the semantics inherent in the word free. For if one is decieved is he truly free in his will? And if not, then the Truth must set him free. But then that means that the decieved are slaves and not free. But switching the meaning of the term free causes semantics. For the one who is a slave to the Truth is then free from the Truth. I therefore tend to say that the only True freewill is one that is set free from the lies. Hence the term freewill is relative and subjective, while others claim it s absolute and we are always free no matter how decieved we are.
This brings forth all the implications of why we sin, who to blame, where is responsibility, we are not robots, etc...

Sweet memories. I remember in the infancy of this thread when you chastised us for thinking too much. You've gone off the deep end, my friend. The confusion stops when you accept the inevitable. Join the dark side. We only eat babies.

But now I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.

~ Umberto Eco
12-05-2013, 10:58 PM
(12-05-2013 10:50 PM)Revenant77x Wrote:  
(12-05-2013 10:42 PM)childeye Wrote:  Not at all, I welcome the diversion. Basically the theology of freewill\no freewill ends up either blaming God or blaming man for all the bad things that happen. I suspect you knwo this. The problem is the semantics inherent in the word free. For if one is decieved is he truly free in his will? And if not, then the Truth must set him free. But then that means that the decieved are slaves and not free. But switching the meaning of the term free causes semantics. For the one who is a slave to the Truth is then free from the Truth. I therefore tend to say that the only True freewill is one that is set free from the lies. Hence the term freewill is relative and subjective, while others claim it s absolute and we are always free no matter how decieved we are.
This brings forth all the implications of why we sin, who to blame, where is responsibility, we are not robots, etc...

For me hearing Christians argue about free will is similar to a heated argument between two alchemists as to whether it is the Aether that imbibes the conversion or if it is inherent in the base metal. It is a passionate exchange of utter meaninglessness.

I tune out mentally too when the topic comes up.

12-05-2013, 11:01 PM
(12-05-2013 10:54 PM)evenheathen Wrote:  
(12-05-2013 10:42 PM)childeye Wrote:  Not at all, I welcome the diversion. Basically the theology of freewill\no freewill ends up either blaming God or blaming man for all the bad things that happen. I suspect you knwo this. The problem is the semantics inherent in the word free. For if one is decieved is he truly free in his will? And if not, then the Truth must set him free. But then that means that the decieved are slaves and not free. But switching the meaning of the term free causes semantics. For the one who is a slave to the Truth is then free from the Truth. I therefore tend to say that the only True freewill is one that is set free from the lies. Hence the term freewill is relative and subjective, while others claim it s absolute and we are always free no matter how decieved we are.

Sweet memories. I remember in the infancy of this thread when you chastised us for thinking too much. You've gone off the deep end, my friend. The confusion stops when you accept the inevitable. Join the dark side. We only eat babies.

That's right he did say we were over thinking things (or words to that effect). Oddly, I think Ce would make a nice atheist...I imagine he'd become quite militant.

12-05-2013, 11:23 PM
(12-05-2013 11:01 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  I imagine he'd become quite militant.

IOW still an evangelist.

The more things change the more they stay the same...
[+] 1 user Likes morondog's post
12-05-2013, 11:31 PM
(12-05-2013 11:23 PM)morondog Wrote:  
(12-05-2013 11:01 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  I imagine he'd become quite militant.

IOW still an evangelist.

The more things change the more they stay the same...

A friend of mine said they were going to get all dressed up and go door to door asking people if they've heard the "good news" about atheism...lmao.

13-05-2013, 12:45 AM

Member of the Cult of Reason

The atheist is a man who destroys the imaginary things which afflict the human race, and so leads men back to nature, to experience and to reason.
-Baron d'Holbach-
Bitcion:1DNeQMswMdvx4xLPP6qNE7RkeTwXGC7Bzp
13-05-2013, 10:42 AM
(12-05-2013 10:06 PM)fstratzero Wrote:  
(12-05-2013 10:04 PM)childeye Wrote:  1 John 4:8
Whoever does not love does not know God, because God is love.
You know I do.

Yes, He Is. As I said from the outset. The term God is an absolute.

I cannot deny without being dishonest that Love is goodness, Love is real. I cannot deny that scripture also confirms God as Love. I cannot deny that the Christ is the highest form of Love I could have never imagined. I cannot deny that Love is greater than life. I cannot deny that Love lives in all men in some degree. I can't deny that Love is the moral absolute. Sounds pretty cut and dry to me.

I deny god, the holy ghost and jesus.
When exactly did you do this?
13-05-2013, 11:06 AM
(12-05-2013 10:53 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  
(12-05-2013 10:46 PM)childeye Wrote:  What could possibly be bullshit that I have said? Surely you don't mean to say that such emotions as I describe experiencing don't exist.

spirĀ·it
Noun

The nonphysical part of a person that is the seat of emotions and character; the soul

I know emotions are real, a product of evolution. Your reason for them sets off my bullshit meter.
The reason is to experience life and it is not my reason, I didn't invent life.