the God term

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
15-04-2013, 09:52 PM
RE: the God term
(15-04-2013 09:45 PM)childeye Wrote:  
(15-04-2013 08:28 PM)Full Circle Wrote:  you can add critical thinking to that list
I see critical thinking as a learned attribute.

[Image: aug08_031.gif]

“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man’s reasoning powers are not above the monkey’s.”~Mark Twain
“Ocean: A body of water occupying about two-thirds of a world made for man - who has no gills.”~ Ambrose Bierce
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 3 users Like Full Circle's post
15-04-2013, 09:53 PM
(15-04-2013 09:26 PM)childeye Wrote:  
(15-04-2013 07:51 PM)Revenant77x Wrote:  No it's just the modus operandi by which life gains it's characteristics. Evolution is blind and has no goal it merely has a few very harsh rules.
Blind but has a few harsh rules? Sounds like you're describing a person.

Quote:My inclusion of an example of 2 members of the same Kingdom (Reptile) that evolved different parental skills was merely to prove that love is not necessarily needed to reproduce but is helpful and there by evolutionarily beneficial if the young require aid.
I appreciate what you are saying. Empathy is not necessary in snakes for survival but helpful for crocodiles.

Quote:I wonder though why do you feel the need to project God onto systems that are already defined and work perfectly well without it? First it was Love or empathy now it is evolution.
That sounds like a thoughtful question. If you are refering to nature when speaking of systems, I would point out that man is devastating nature. Consequently it would be helpful if men cared about the planet system we live on which sustains life. Greed and avarice have always been seen as the opposites of Love. I happen to believe in a spiritual enemy to God, which works upon the wills of men to decieve mankind into doing what is not in our best interests.

I don't know what you mean by first it was Love or empathy and now evolution. I assume you are refering to the term God applied first to Love, then evolution. I have in numerous places called the term an absolute Truth as in a self sacrificing Love. So it is that the term would be applied to that which people hold to be true even if it is not. Hence there would be false gods. Any lie will serve as a disruptor of Truth and there can be many lies. In this, I am saying that any belief that would cause a man to turn from a self sacrificing Love is a lie, a false god.

This is probably the first time it seems as though you understood what one of us was trying to convey. As for what I said about Evolution being Blind but having harsh rules what I meant was It has no aim other than survival. Evolution through natural selection does not always pick the best long term course it merely picks what is best right now. If you want to learn a little more about this I recommend The Blind Watchmaker It is probably the easiest to understand work on evolution from a respected source.

Now as to what I meant by my last paragraph. You are trying to convince us that love/empathy comes from an outside source your "God". However every time you make this connection you seem to ignore a lot of facts that just don't fit your theory. I don't know which version of Christianity you subscribe to (though I have a feeling it is Christian Science) but most of the actual historic facts around the formation of this religion seem to point to it being based on hearsay and possible propaganda by the Roman Empire. All that doesn't really matter though because at the core you just haven't made a case for God.

(31-07-2014 04:37 PM)Luminon Wrote:  America is full of guns, but they're useless, because nobody has the courage to shoot an IRS agent in self-defense
[+] 1 user Likes Revenant77x's post
15-04-2013, 11:23 PM
I really liked that book! Heart

God is a concept by which we measure our pain -- John Lennon

16-04-2013, 07:49 AM
Re: the God term
You don't know? Better call Saul!
[+] 1 user Likes Phaedrus's post
16-04-2013, 09:07 AM
(15-04-2013 03:51 PM)childeye Wrote:  
(15-04-2013 03:43 PM)morondog Wrote:  thread 13 pages
parse error
fuck this

God = a weasel word for
- I don't understand and it bugs me.
- I'm scared of dying.
- No one listens to me and they deserve to burn for that.
This is a typical religious response about the term God. Respectfully, I would submit that your problem isn't with God\empathy, it's with false religion which teaches such things as you describe. Note: Christianity is not about fearing death , it is about not fearing death.

According to the OP you asked for my def of God. I answered the OP. You're free to make your little homilies of what Christianity is or isn't, but all your psychoanalysis doesn't change what the word means to me Wink

Quote:Also, what do you mean by no one listens so they deserve to burn for that? Sounds like the devil to me.
Quite a lot of people seem quite happy with the suggestion that anyone who doesn't believe as they do will go to hell. It might sound like the devil to you but *your God* is the one who condemns them to go there, according to that ridiculous book.
16-04-2013, 11:02 AM

[Image: dog-shaking.gif]
[+] 2 users Like kingschosen's post
16-04-2013, 11:05 AM

Who the fuck told KC about MSPaint? Dodgy

Tongue

[Image: 3d366d5c-72a0-4228-b835-f404c2970188_zps...1381867723]
[+] 1 user Likes cheapthrillseaker's post
16-04-2013, 11:19 AM
(15-04-2013 09:53 PM)Revenant77x Wrote:  
(15-04-2013 09:26 PM)childeye Wrote:  Blind but has a few harsh rules? Sounds like you're describing a person.

I appreciate what you are saying. Empathy is not necessary in snakes for survival but helpful for crocodiles.

That sounds like a thoughtful question. If you are refering to nature when speaking of systems, I would point out that man is devastating nature. Consequently it would be helpful if men cared about the planet system we live on which sustains life. Greed and avarice have always been seen as the opposites of Love. I happen to believe in a spiritual enemy to God, which works upon the wills of men to decieve mankind into doing what is not in our best interests.

I don't know what you mean by first it was Love or empathy and now evolution. I assume you are refering to the term God applied first to Love, then evolution. I have in numerous places called the term an absolute Truth as in a self sacrificing Love. So it is that the term would be applied to that which people hold to be true even if it is not. Hence there would be false gods. Any lie will serve as a disruptor of Truth and there can be many lies. In this, I am saying that any belief that would cause a man to turn from a self sacrificing Love is a lie, a false god.

This is probably the first time it seems as though you understood what one of us was trying to convey. As for what I said about Evolution being Blind but having harsh rules what I meant was It has no aim other than survival. Evolution through natural selection does not always pick the best long term course it merely picks what is best right now. If you want to learn a little more about this I recommend The Blind Watchmaker It is probably the easiest to understand work on evolution from a respected source.

Now as to what I meant by my last paragraph. You are trying to convince us that love/empathy comes from an outside source your "God". However every time you make this connection you seem to ignore a lot of facts that just don't fit your theory. I don't know which version of Christianity you subscribe to (though I have a feeling it is Christian Science) but most of the actual historic facts around the formation of this religion seem to point to it being based on hearsay and possible propaganda by the Roman Empire. All that doesn't really matter though because at the core you just haven't made a case for God.
I'm glad to hear you say I have finally left an impression that I have understood what some of you are trying to convey. Now I am left reading and re-reading what I have said that has earned such a remark from you. I will say this. You have been quite amicable and sincere in your discourse with me, and I appreciate that.

You are correct that I am believing that God is the Spirit of empathy/Love. As for an outside source, that is true in the sense that This God/Love is bigger than all of us, precedes us, and will continue after us in existence. But yet it is inside us as an attribute of that which is created by a Creator. I'm trying to dodge the semantics here, and that's why I have explained it in this manner.
Quote:However every time you make this connection you seem to ignore a lot of facts that just don't fit your theory.
This is a very polite and yet forthright statement. I would like to address any facts that don't fit with my theory. I sincerely have seen nothing I would consider factual presented so far. Perhaps you are refering to the fact that some people are sociopaths. That of course is an absence of Love which is on the far end of degrees away from all Love. I have already said there are spiritual powers of darkness which does not in anyway preclude any part of my theory, only enforces it.

But let's look at this term god again. I have said it refers to an absolute Truth in presuming there must be one, whether it be the first energy of life that precedes evolution or Love/empathy, person or thing, etc... That such an absolute exists is a foregone conclusion or the words knowledge and ignorance have no substantial meaning.
16-04-2013, 11:29 AM
(15-04-2013 01:46 PM)Chas Wrote:  Life does not have a reason, it has causes. We came about through evolution and are simply the most intelligent ape species.

Debatable.

I still contend that the Bonobos took the most intelligent evolutionary path.

Yes

16-04-2013, 11:32 AM
(16-04-2013 11:29 AM)DLJ Wrote:  
(15-04-2013 01:46 PM)Chas Wrote:  Life does not have a reason, it has causes. We came about through evolution and are simply the most intelligent ape species.

Debatable.

I still contend that the Bonobos took the most intelligent evolutionary path.

Yes

They are arguably happier. Even more ethical.

But dey gotz no interwebz. Checkmate, expatriate!

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user