the God term

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
16-04-2013, 04:39 PM
RE: the God term
(16-04-2013 04:35 PM)childeye Wrote:  
(16-04-2013 04:24 PM)Chas Wrote:  That's not what 'eternal' means. You just make shit up, don't you? Dodgy
From the oxford dictionary:
e·ter·nal

/iˈtərnl/

Adjective

1.Lasting or existing forever; without end or beginning.

Pi begins with 3.14 thus is it not eternal

(31-07-2014 04:37 PM)Luminon Wrote:  America is full of guns, but they're useless, because nobody has the courage to shoot an IRS agent in self-defense
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
16-04-2013, 04:50 PM (This post was last modified: 16-04-2013 04:53 PM by childeye.)
(16-04-2013 04:09 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  
(16-04-2013 03:58 PM)Chas Wrote:  It's a number, an irrational number. What do you mean eternal?

It's double-talk.
Pi is not double-talk. From the math open referance:The number PI, denoted by the Greek letter π - pronounced 'pie', is one of the most common constants in all of mathematics. It is the circumference of any circle, divided by its diameter. Nobody knows its exact value, because no matter how many digits you calculate it to, the number never ends.
Hence mathematical proof of a constant/absolute always being presuppositional. Just because I don't fully comprehend something, doesn't make it gibberish.
16-04-2013, 04:52 PM
(16-04-2013 04:50 PM)childeye Wrote:  
(16-04-2013 04:09 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  It's double-talk.
Pi is not double-talk. From the math open referance:The number PI, denoted by the Greek letter π - pronounced 'pie', is one of the most common constants in all of mathematics. It is the circumference of any circle, divided by its diameter. Nobody knows its exact value, because no matter how many digits you calculate it to, the number never ends.
Hence mathematical proof of a constant/absolute always being presuppositional. Just because I don't understand something, doesn't make it gibberish.

Using the word 'eternal' for pi is gibberish.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
16-04-2013, 05:06 PM
(16-04-2013 04:39 PM)Revenant77x Wrote:  
(16-04-2013 04:35 PM)childeye Wrote:  From the oxford dictionary:
e·ter·nal

/iˈtərnl/

Adjective

1.Lasting or existing forever; without end or beginning.

Pi begins with 3.14 thus is it not eternal
It is a mathematical constant measured from a single point of perspective. hence the beginning. The numbers themselves go on forever as far as anyone knows. This is not unlike measuring that which is eternal from a temporal view.
16-04-2013, 05:08 PM
(16-04-2013 04:52 PM)Chas Wrote:  
(16-04-2013 04:50 PM)childeye Wrote:  Pi is not double-talk. From the math open referance:The number PI, denoted by the Greek letter π - pronounced 'pie', is one of the most common constants in all of mathematics. It is the circumference of any circle, divided by its diameter. Nobody knows its exact value, because no matter how many digits you calculate it to, the number never ends.
Hence mathematical proof of a constant/absolute always being presuppositional. Just because I don't understand something, doesn't make it gibberish.

Using the word 'eternal' for pi is gibberish.
I didn't use eternal for Pi. I used Pi as a mathematical example of trying to put a value on an eternal existence from a temporal view as per your request.
16-04-2013, 05:15 PM
(16-04-2013 04:50 PM)childeye Wrote:  
(16-04-2013 04:09 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  It's double-talk.

Im well aware what pi is. The way you have chose to weave it around is what I referred to as double talk.

I have little interst in anything you have to say. I have little interest in your definition of god, or why you believe people possess empathy. I hold little interest in your monotheistic dog who believes in empathy...Or any of your vacillating, oft intelligible, vapid aphasia regurgitation of token phrases likely lifted from some self-proclaimed biblical scholar or cult leader. Anytime you are questioned in any probative value, you feign ignorance and redirect to your "god is love" and redefine your own flimsy argument.

Lastly...shoo fly.

God is a concept by which we measure our pain -- John Lennon

[+] 1 user Likes Momsurroundedbyboys's post
16-04-2013, 05:16 PM
(16-04-2013 05:06 PM)childeye Wrote:  
(16-04-2013 04:39 PM)Revenant77x Wrote:  Pi begins with 3.14 thus is it not eternal
It is a mathematical constant measured from a single point of perspective. hence the beginning. The numbers themselves go on forever as far as anyone knows. This is not unlike measuring that which is eternal from a temporal view.

It is an infinitely non-repeating number, not eternal.

You can't just redefine words to suit your own ideas. Give it up.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 2 users Like Chas's post
16-04-2013, 05:24 PM
(16-04-2013 05:15 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  Anytime you are questioned in any probative value, you feign ignorance and redirect to your "god is love" and redefine your own flimsy argument.

Lastly...shoo fly.
All I've said is God is Love, that moral goodness in mankind. How you expect me to put a precise value on Love is beyond my knowledge to be able to comply. That does not negate the plausibility of my contention.
16-04-2013, 05:27 PM
(16-04-2013 05:16 PM)Chas Wrote:  
(16-04-2013 05:06 PM)childeye Wrote:  It is a mathematical constant measured from a single point of perspective. hence the beginning. The numbers themselves go on forever as far as anyone knows. This is not unlike measuring that which is eternal from a temporal view.

It is an infinitely non-repeating number, not eternal.

You can't just redefine words to suit your own ideas. Give it up.
If you recall, I provided the oxford dictionary definition of eternal to explain what the word eternal means. You brought up Pi.
16-04-2013, 05:31 PM
(16-04-2013 05:24 PM)childeye Wrote:  
(16-04-2013 05:15 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  Anytime you are questioned in any probative value, you feign ignorance and redirect to your "god is love" and redefine your own flimsy argument.

Lastly...shoo fly.
All I've said is God is Love, that moral goodness in mankind. How you expect me to put a precise value on Love is beyond my knowledge to be able to comply. That does not negate the plausibility of my contention.
Actually it does negate it, in fact your "argument" has been obliterated numerous times already. There is nothing more to say.

Well, save for shoo fly

God is a concept by which we measure our pain -- John Lennon