the God term

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
17-04-2013, 12:20 AM
RE: the God term
(16-04-2013 10:45 PM)childeye Wrote:  
(16-04-2013 10:28 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  I will not speak for everyone. But myself, I don't hate god. I don't hate things I don't believe in. I just don't feel love for them either.

Shoo fly
Nontheless your unbelief is centered on Him.

In the same way my dislike of pumpkin is centered around pumpkin.

[Image: 3cdac7eec8f6b059070d9df56f50a7ae.jpg]
Now with 40% more awesome.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
17-04-2013, 09:07 AM
Let us construct a Holy Trine:

You say God is Love.
I say Love is Void.
They say God is Void.

It's the Associative Property of Consensus!

There is no Identity to Love. Can God be greater than God? Of course not, so what the Christian apologist does is introduce another extraneous variable... Satan. And for we atheists to be so convinced of our righteousness, we must be Satan's minions.

Which begs the question: WTF are you doing here? Hmmm?

[Image: klingon_zps7e68578a.jpg]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
17-04-2013, 09:12 AM (This post was last modified: 17-04-2013 11:12 AM by Bucky Ball.)
(16-04-2013 07:36 PM)childeye Wrote:  
(16-04-2013 07:24 PM)Chas Wrote:  But that is not common sense. Empathy came before and comes without monotheism.

Unless you think no Hindu has empathy, or no one in ancient Greece had empathy.
Try to picture this. "IF" God is the "ONE" True Creator "AND IF" He is empathy, then monotheism is not an invention of man, nor is Love. He therefore would be the Love in all men including Hindus, Greeks, Eskimos, Japanese, Muslims, etc...

The Hebrews were not monotheistic, so for most of the time your god was not seen as *the* god, it was one in a pantheon. A god cannot "create". "Creation" is an act. Actions require time. Can't *create* time unless time already exists. You're talking absolute philosophical and linguistic nonsense. Love is a human emotion. Saying it's a god is simple anthropomorphism.

Dismissal of a nonsense concept is not *centered* on anything. It's simply dismissal of a concept that was held by a majority that was wrong, just like the Earth being flat. Was science *centered* on that ? No. You're full of crap, childish childeye.

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein
Those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music - Friedrich Nietzsche
17-04-2013, 09:16 AM
(16-04-2013 10:46 PM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  So if "god" is the "love inside us all", just call it that. No need to call it anything else. No evidence for anything else. Of course that is a completely 20th/21st Century idea.
Respectfully, when I say God, I mean thee God, as in Thee One True ultimate and absolute Truth. The Alpha the Omega, cause and reason for all life and existence. When scientist's seek the origins of the universe they are seeking God. That is what the term "God" means. Yes, the Love inside all of mankind whom He has created is His Spirit and also is our Life which is an attribute of our maker. We didn't invent God. God invented us. Also the realization that God is Love is not an idea, it is a revelation of what always has been true.

Quote:No one would necessarily disagree with it, except now that humans have evolved to calling god "love", all that means is that love is what is most important to us.
Yes of course Love is most important to us and always has been. But men take Love for granted even while they dismiss the very Person of God Whose Spirit it is.

Quote:St. Paul said love was a virtue, not a god, and the greatest of the god's gifts. It's a TOTALLY different concept. It's actually not a very "Christian" concept, in the classical sense. Very non-theological. But that's what it's evolved to in 2013. Interesting.
But no longer a need to call it a god.
Respectfully, you are not exactly right about this. Paul did not say God is Love, but neither did he say God is not Love. However John did call God Love. At any rate every good thing endowed by the Creator is a virtue. Love however is the source of many virtues.

Quote:The "god" term is meaningless in 2013. It's why many of us are igtheists, or ignostics. Unless you can define it, you can't say anything about it.
The term "god" is not meaningless in 2013. To an atheist the term "God" is not meaningless. It defines their very belief. To the scientists, the philosophers, the artists, the historians, to everyday people, the term God is the highest of all meanings.
17-04-2013, 09:19 AM
(16-04-2013 10:45 PM)childeye Wrote:  
(16-04-2013 10:28 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  I will not speak for everyone. But myself, I don't hate god. I don't hate things I don't believe in. I just don't feel love for them either.

Shoo fly
Nontheless your unbelief is centered on Him.

Actually, no. Our unbelief in this thread is centered on you.

QED. Tongue

[+] 1 user Likes houseofcantor's post
17-04-2013, 09:19 AM
(17-04-2013 12:20 AM)earmuffs Wrote:  
(16-04-2013 10:45 PM)childeye Wrote:  Nontheless your unbelief is centered on Him.

Exactly. Now does pumpkin not exist?
17-04-2013, 10:07 AM
(17-04-2013 12:20 AM)earmuffs Wrote:  
(16-04-2013 10:45 PM)childeye Wrote:  Nontheless your unbelief is centered on Him.

But pumpkin is a real thing. Saying that my unbelief is centered around god is like saying it's centered around Ra, or Zeus or Jupiter. Or any number of the now defunct deities that have existed long before the latest one.

That's really it, isn't it? This god the OP likes is just latest in a long line of gods that "existed" before.

God is a concept by which we measure our pain -- John Lennon

17-04-2013, 10:13 AM
(16-04-2013 10:23 PM)childeye Wrote:  ...
I say I did not learn from the book but by revelation

Generally speaking, you will find that atheists here accept no proof of gods from Faith, from Authority, from Revelation or Tradition.

Faith and Revelation are delusional. Authority and Tradition are unnecessarily subservient.

Collectively these four common dismissable proofs are known as F A R T ... i.e. proof by hot air!

[+] 3 users Like DLJ's post
17-04-2013, 10:19 AM
(17-04-2013 10:07 AM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  
(17-04-2013 12:20 AM)earmuffs Wrote:  In the same way my dislike of pumpkin is centered around pumpkin.

But pumpkin is a real thing. Saying that my unbelief is centered around god is like saying it's centered around Ra, or Zeus or Jupiter. Or any number of the now defunct deities that have existed long before the latest one.

That's really it, isn't it? This god the OP likes is just latest in a long line of gods that "existed" before.
Don't be dissin' no Ra. Angry

17-04-2013, 10:27 AM
(17-04-2013 10:19 AM)houseofcantor Wrote:  
(17-04-2013 10:07 AM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  But pumpkin is a real thing. Saying that my unbelief is centered around god is like saying it's centered around Ra, or Zeus or Jupiter. Or any number of the now defunct deities that have existed long before the latest one.

Don't be dissin' no Ra. Angry

It's not like I dissed your beloved Gwynnies.

Sheesh some people Rolleyes

God is a concept by which we measure our pain -- John Lennon

[+] 1 user Likes Momsurroundedbyboys's post