the God term

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
17-04-2013, 01:28 PM
RE: the God term
(17-04-2013 01:22 PM)childeye Wrote:  
(17-04-2013 11:18 AM)houseofcantor Wrote:  Simulation of mind of another in mind, a.k.a. empathy, is the contrasting argument. You bring to the table your simulated mind of god. We do not credit your simulation due to lack of development.
Respectfully, empathy is not simulation of mind. It is the ability to feel someone elses feelings. Also I don't simulate the mind of God. There are many lies that can live in one man's mind, even because there is a single Truth that can live in all men.

Sorry, but empathy is not the ability to feel someone else's feelings. It is the ability to imagine how you would feel if you were in someone else's shoes. The golden rule, as it were.

But now I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.

~ Umberto Eco
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
17-04-2013, 01:32 PM
Sorry, double post.Sad

But now I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.

~ Umberto Eco
17-04-2013, 01:53 PM
(17-04-2013 01:22 PM)childeye Wrote:  
(17-04-2013 11:18 AM)houseofcantor Wrote:  Simulation of mind of another in mind, a.k.a. empathy, is the contrasting argument. You bring to the table your simulated mind of god. We do not credit your simulation due to lack of development.
Respectfully, empathy is not simulation of mind. It is the ability to feel someone elses feelings. Also I don't simulate the mind of God. There are many lies that can live in one man's mind, even because there is a single Truth that can live in all men.

It is precisely the simulation of mind. One person cannot experience another's feelings, only construct a simulacrum.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Chas's post
17-04-2013, 02:27 PM (This post was last modified: 17-04-2013 02:30 PM by childeye.)
17-04-2013, 02:31 PM
(17-04-2013 01:53 PM)Chas Wrote:  
(17-04-2013 01:22 PM)childeye Wrote:  Respectfully, empathy is not simulation of mind. It is the ability to feel someone elses feelings. Also I don't simulate the mind of God. There are many lies that can live in one man's mind, even because there is a single Truth that can live in all men.

It is precisely the simulation of mind. One person cannot experience another's feelings, only construct a simulacrum.
You need a hug.
17-04-2013, 02:38 PM
(17-04-2013 01:28 PM)evenheathen Wrote:  
(17-04-2013 01:22 PM)childeye Wrote:  Respectfully, empathy is not simulation of mind. It is the ability to feel someone elses feelings. Also I don't simulate the mind of God. There are many lies that can live in one man's mind, even because there is a single Truth that can live in all men.

Sorry, but empathy is not the ability to feel someone else's feelings. It is the ability to imagine how you would feel if you were in someone else's shoes. The golden rule, as it were.
The golden rule says in the letter that which the Spirit of empathy does. Please note the differences between these two definitions so that you might see why empathy is not simulated but rather is heartfelt.
sim·u·late
/ˈsimyəˌlāt/
Verb
1.Imitate the appearance or character of.
2.Pretend to have or feel (an emotion).

Synonyms
feign - sham - pretend - imitate - dissemble - fake

em·pa·thy
/ˈempəTHē/
Noun
The ability to understand and share the feelings of another.

Synonyms
sympathy
17-04-2013, 02:50 PM (This post was last modified: 17-04-2013 03:07 PM by childeye.)
(17-04-2013 11:18 AM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  
(17-04-2013 09:16 AM)childeye Wrote:  Yes of course Love is most important to us and always has been. But men take Love for granted even while they dismiss the very Person of God Whose Spirit it is.

Respectfully, you are not exactly right about this. Paul did not say God is Love, but neither did he say God is not Love. However John did call God Love. At any rate every good thing endowed by the Creator is a virtue. Love however is the source of many virtues.

The term "god" is not meaningless in 2013. To an atheist the term "God" is not meaningless. It defines their very belief. To the scientists, the philosophers, the artists, the historians, to everyday people, the term God is the highest of all meanings.

Love has not always been most important to humans. The "romantic ideal" did not arise until the early Middle Ages, in the West. Try going to school. You know no cultural history, obviously. Paul did not say a lot of things. Your point is irrelevant nonsense. You did not explain "creation" with no time. You are slapping YOUR meaning onto others you do not know. You have no right to do that. You have no clue what "god" means to others. You are not the dictator of the universe. You do not define anything for anyone, other than yourself. You do not tell others what things mean to them, to justify your views to yourself. If they say the word is meaningless to them, then it's meaningless. YOU do not define reality for anyone. The absence of belief is NOT the belief in absence. You are making the common street mistake that most theists do about atheism, and you are utterly wrong. I am an igtheist, and YOU cannot (other than your "god is love" crap, which NO Hebrew in the 1st Century would say, except maybe the Gnostic Greeks who wrote John, did), which just proves the concept changes all the time, every time it's used). The word has no meaning just because idiots like you say it does. Too bad. YOU do not define reality for anyone. Get over yourself. Just because you cannot imagine it, it means nothing. YOu do not decree what reality is. How old are you, like 12 ? By your logic, your life is defined by bthe fact that you deny that there is a 1957 Chevy orbiting Pluto. Who do you think you are ? The damn pope ?
Peace bucky ball. When I am speaking about Love, I am not actually talking about romance. I've seen a lot of people die. In the end their greatest and most important matter to them is always their loved ones. Love is Who we serve because He serves us.

Everyone defines their own reality according to what they percieve to be true. We have our opinions where we are not sure. Nonetheless we don't get to make up the Truth. There is a single Truth that is, and we either gain knowledge of it, or we are ignorant of it. The Truth rules and all men must submit to it eventually. That is why The Truth is God. I'm not against learning lest I be a fool.

What exactly do you wish me to acknowledge about time?
17-04-2013, 03:14 PM
(17-04-2013 01:11 PM)evenheathen Wrote:  
Quote:The exodus is a well proven episode in history.

By chance any references for this claim? I'm anything but a scholar, but I have done some reading here and there. From what I've seen, there is little to no solid evidence that the exodus ever took place as described in the bible.
I would suggest googling proof of Exodus. It is documented in Egyptian records. It has been studied by archaeologists for long time and the evidence is substantial.
17-04-2013, 03:17 PM
(17-04-2013 02:50 PM)childeye Wrote:  
(17-04-2013 11:18 AM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  Love has not always been most important to humans. The "romantic ideal" did not arise until the early Middle Ages, in the West. Try going to school. You know no cultural history, obviously. Paul did not say a lot of things. Your point is irrelevant nonsense. You did not explain "creation" with no time. You are slapping YOUR meaning onto others you do not know. You have no right to do that. You have no clue what "god" means to others. You are not the dictator of the universe. You do not define anything for anyone, other than yourself. You do not tell others what things mean to them, to justify your views to yourself. If they say the word is meaningless to them, then it's meaningless. YOU do not define reality for anyone. The absence of belief is NOT the belief in absence. You are making the common street mistake that most theists do about atheism, and you are utterly wrong. I am an igtheist, and YOU cannot (other than your "god is love" crap, which NO Hebrew in the 1st Century would say, except maybe the Gnostic Greeks who wrote John, did), which just proves the concept changes all the time, every time it's used). The word has no meaning just because idiots like you say it does. Too bad. YOU do not define reality for anyone. Get over yourself. Just because you cannot imagine it, it means nothing. YOu do not decree what reality is. How old are you, like 12 ? By your logic, your life is defined by bthe fact that you deny that there is a 1957 Chevy orbiting Pluto. Who do you think you are ? The damn pope ?
Peace bucky ball. When I am speaking about Love, I am not actually talking about romance. I've seen a lot of people die. In the end their greatest and most important matter to them is always their loved ones. Love is Who we serve because He serves us.

Everyone defines their own reality according to what they percieve to be true. We have our opinions where we are not sure. Nonetheless we don't get to make up the Truth. There is a single Truth that is, and we either gain knowledge of it, or we are ignorant of it. The Truth rules and all men must submit to it eventually. That is why The Truth is God. I'm not against learning lest I be a fool.

What exactly do you wish me to acknowledge about time?

I did not say you were talking about "romance". That fact that you have no clue about what I said proves your ignorance of history. I also have seen a lot of people die. The fact that love is important to people in no way says anything about the god(s). It's important because it's imporrtant. That's all you can say about it. You have no proof of anything else. Just your unsupported assertions. There is no "single truth". Everyone thinks they have it, including you. There are 30,000 sects of you people, and you all assert the same thing. All religious people for thousands of years have ALL said they hac=ve THE truth, and they were all wrong. Including you. You are not special, Childish. Just another theist, asserting he has THE ONE TRUTH. How boring. How pedestrian. How common.

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein
Those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music - Friedrich Nietzsche
17-04-2013, 03:17 PM (This post was last modified: 17-04-2013 03:21 PM by cufflink.)
(16-04-2013 03:46 PM)Chas Wrote:  Pi is not eternal, it is irrational.

Ah, yes. But let us not forget that pi is also transcendental.

Something to meditate on. Cool

Religious disputes are like arguments in a madhouse over which inmate really is Napoleon.
[+] 2 users Like cufflink's post