the God term

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
17-04-2013, 03:33 PM
RE: the God term
So what I am hearing from you is essentially the reason atheists reject religion. You'd have us all have happy lovey taint tickle time and learn to just trust our feelings. How cute.

Cmon, you atheists, stop thinking so much. Thinking gets you nowhere. Just trust the good feelings I'm selling you. You'll feel so much better if you do. The ultimate truth is right there for you to see as long as you just have faith. But by god, no more critical thinking. Critical thinking and the search for actual evidence only leads to non god worship. And from there it's only a matter of time before you're dining on babies because your non god demands it.

Take some time to understand our position before assuming you know anything about us or atheism at all for that matter.

But now I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.

~ Umberto Eco
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 3 users Like evenheathen's post
17-04-2013, 03:46 PM
Re: the God term
Did your pastor tell you that? If so, remind him that breaking the ninth commandment is a sin.

Fact: The Egyptians never enslaved any group or race en masse, certainly not the Jews

Fact: Egyptologists cannot find any Pharoah that matches the unnamed pharoah of Exodus

Fact: There is no evidence that the Canaanites were ever conquered by an invading horde of nomadic escaped slaves

Fact: Much of the Old Testament, especially Genesis and parts of Exodus, appear to be based on Canaanite and Babylonian mythology dating to 500-1000 BC

Fact: Israeli archaeologists have searched Israel and Egypt for evidence of the events of Exodus for decades, and found no signs of Judaism until ~600 BC, well after the purported events allegedly took place

Read a book written more recently than the invention of the wheelbarrow, why don't you...
[+] 3 users Like Phaedrus's post
17-04-2013, 03:47 PM
(17-04-2013 03:17 PM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  I did not say you were talking about "romance". That fact that you have no clue about what I said proves your ignorance of history.

Yes I obviously did not have a clue what you were talking about and I am not educated on the "Romantic ideal". My apologies.

Quote: I also have seen a lot of people die. The fact that love is important to people in no way says anything about the god(s). It's important because it's imporrtant. That's all you can say about it.
Yes I say it is most important. Pardon my misunderstanding you. You seemed to be saying it didn't become important till the early middle ages. But if God is Love, then He is important.

Quote: You have no proof of anything else. Just your unsupported assertions. There is no "single truth".
Well, above I thought we had agreed that Love is important. Is that not True for all men whether they know it or not?

Quote: Everyone thinks they have it, including you. There are 30,000 sects of you people, and you all assert the same thing. All religious people for thousands of years have ALL said they hac=ve THE truth, and they were all wrong. Including you.
Take it easy Bucky ball. All I said is Love rules and you start talking like I claimed something that only I could possibly know.
17-04-2013, 03:48 PM
(17-04-2013 03:14 PM)childeye Wrote:  
(17-04-2013 01:11 PM)evenheathen Wrote:  By chance any references for this claim? I'm anything but a scholar, but I have done some reading here and there. From what I've seen, there is little to no solid evidence that the exodus ever took place as described in the bible.
I would suggest googling proof of Exodus. It is documented in Egyptian records. It has been studied by archaeologists for long time and the evidence is substantial.

Okay, I did. Here is the first hit http://rationalwiki.org/wiki/Evidence_for_the_Exodus

But now I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.

~ Umberto Eco
[+] 1 user Likes evenheathen's post
17-04-2013, 04:13 PM
(17-04-2013 03:33 PM)evenheathen Wrote:  So what I am hearing from you is essentially the reason atheists reject religion. You'd have us all have happy lovey taint tickle time and learn to just trust our feelings. How cute.

Cmon, you atheists, stop thinking so much. Thinking gets you nowhere. Just trust the good feelings I'm selling you. You'll feel so much better if you do. The ultimate truth is right there for you to see as long as you just have faith. But by god, no more critical thinking. Critical thinking and the search for actual evidence only leads to non god worship. And from there it's only a matter of time before you're dining on babies because your non god demands it.

Take some time to understand our position before assuming you know anything about us or atheism at all for that matter.
I applaud you on your commentary of your paraphrasing. Yes maybe you atheists do think too much. What you proclaim as critical thinking has become more like cynicism in my view. You voice your distrust of someone like me who wants to be full of Love and trust in Love unto the end. I think you fool yourselves with your demand for evidence when you know deep down what is good. You need to believe in an untainted Love just like everyone else.
17-04-2013, 04:20 PM
(17-04-2013 03:46 PM)Phaedrus Wrote:  Did your pastor tell you that? If so, remind him that breaking the ninth commandment is a sin.

Fact: The Egyptians never enslaved any group or race en masse, certainly not the Jews

Fact: Egyptologists cannot find any Pharoah that matches the unnamed pharoah of Exodus

Fact: There is no evidence that the Canaanites were ever conquered by an invading horde of nomadic escaped slaves

Fact: Much of the Old Testament, especially Genesis and parts of Exodus, appear to be based on Canaanite and Babylonian mythology dating to 500-1000 BC

Fact: Israeli archaeologists have searched Israel and Egypt for evidence of the events of Exodus for decades, and found no signs of Judaism until ~600 BC, well after the purported events allegedly took place

Read a book written more recently than the invention of the wheelbarrow, why don't you...
I don't have a Pastor. I watched it on the national geographic channel. But why don't you just simply google "proof of exodus". If you click on images, you can see egyptian artifacts and writings depicting the Exodus.
17-04-2013, 04:38 PM
(17-04-2013 04:20 PM)childeye Wrote:  
(17-04-2013 03:46 PM)Phaedrus Wrote:  Did your pastor tell you that? If so, remind him that breaking the ninth commandment is a sin.

I don't have a Pastor. I watched it on the national geographic channel. But why don't you just simply google "proof of exodus". If you click on images, you can see egyptian artifacts and writings depicting the Exodus.

What do you know. I googled "proof of exodus" and... Saw no images of Egyptian artifacts depicting the Exodus. Only two of the first fifty results were of Egyptian writings or artifacts at all, and both linked back to a shitty Wordpress blog written by a fundamentalist nut job. Great evidence. Thanks, I'm much more enlightened now.

E 2 = (mc 2)2 + (pc )2
614C → 714N + e + ̅νe
2 K(s) + 2 H2O(l) → 2 KOH(aq) + H2 (g) + 196 kJ/mol
It works, bitches.
[+] 1 user Likes Phaedrus's post
17-04-2013, 05:02 PM
(17-04-2013 04:13 PM)childeye Wrote:  
(17-04-2013 03:33 PM)evenheathen Wrote:  So what I am hearing from you is essentially the reason atheists reject religion. You'd have us all have happy lovey taint tickle time and learn to just trust our feelings. How cute.

I applaud you on your commentary of your paraphrasing. Yes maybe you atheists do think too much. What you proclaim as critical thinking has become more like cynicism in my view. You voice your distrust of someone like me who wants to be full of Love and trust in Love unto the end. I think you fool yourselves with your demand for evidence when you know deep down what is good. You need to believe in an untainted Love just like everyone else.

I see what you did there. Laughat

It's not mistrust of you. I trust that you believe your delusion whole heartedly. A lot of us here did also. That is until we decided to actually ask ourselves the hard questions and figure out what really makes sense. What really deserves an unwavering faith. Christianity doesn't hold a shred of good evidence. You'd think if it were true, and that god wanted us to truly believe, he'd have done a better job of providing some. It's not cynicism, just use of reason and intellectual honesty.

~ Umberto Eco
[+] 2 users Like evenheathen's post
17-04-2013, 05:23 PM (This post was last modified: 17-04-2013 05:33 PM by Momsurroundedbyboys.)
(17-04-2013 02:27 PM)childeye Wrote:  I don't think you understand. I am not here selling anything. If I may speak candidly, you are a rather cynical person. You don't trust very easily. That's okay. I reckon I'd be the same way if I had experienced your life. Out of all the people I have encountered in this forum, the one that I feel most needs to believe in an unfailing Love, is you. Consider, how above you talk about me not coming here to make any friends. While that was not my intent, it does not mean I would not welcome friendship. Your shoo fly remarks are rather inconsiderate and condescending. I'm not a fly, just another person with feelings, just like you. I'm just not afraid to show them.

Oh wow and there it is -- looks like someone rustled your jimmies. You know nothing about my life. And I totally do believe in unfailing or unconditional love. I've got all around me -- and without a god. I have no issue with showing my feelings with people who matter to me. I do not need to share my feelings with random person on the Internet trying to tell me about on an atheist forum what they believe god is.

That was what I meant by "selling". Not a literal selling of goods.

Is English not your first language?

Also, instead of telling people to just google "proof of exodus" you might just post a link...

It's what helpful people do.

Shoo fly

God is a concept by which we measure our pain -- John Lennon

[+] 1 user Likes Momsurroundedbyboys's post
17-04-2013, 05:26 PM
Here's a clue, before telling someone to google something, google it yourself. For instance, before telling PleaseJesus to use google to find transitional fossils showing the evolution of the giraffe's long neck, I first, you know, used Google and found fossils showing the evolution of the giraffe. Then I provided a link to the appropriate google results.

It's good practice to make sure you're right before telling someone to "google it". Drinking Beverage

E 2 = (mc 2)2 + (pc )2
614C → 714N + e + ̅νe
2 K(s) + 2 H2O(l) → 2 KOH(aq) + H2 (g) + 196 kJ/mol
It works, bitches.
[+] 1 user Likes Phaedrus's post