the God term

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
17-04-2013, 05:38 PM
RE: the God term
(17-04-2013 03:48 PM)evenheathen Wrote:  
(17-04-2013 03:14 PM)childeye Wrote:  I would suggest googling proof of Exodus. It is documented in Egyptian records. It has been studied by archaeologists for long time and the evidence is substantial.

Okay, I did. Here is the first hit http://rationalwiki.org/wiki/Evidence_for_the_Exodus
I've looked at this website. I would like to point out that there are powers that want to disprove all of this for political purposes.
This site is definitely slanted with no evidence disproving anything, but only obscuring, questioning any ambiguity. It's all about "we don't know". If you wish to be a critical thinker, here's a good place to start. I got my information watching the national geographic channel which examined ancient papyrus text speaking about the plagues that wwere found in Egypt, stone tablets mentioning israel by name that were from the thirteenth century B.C... Many other convincing artifacts that support the bibles account. Most convincing was an etching on stone discovered in Egypt that showed a picture board of the whole story. Interestingly, the archaeologist who produced the documentary claimed that some Israelites had boarded ships and went to somewhere around Greece. And in Greece they found another stone picture board dated to around the same time showing the same picture board story as the stone in Egypt. If you're sincerely looking for evidence, it's all over the place on the internet.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
17-04-2013, 05:42 PM
(17-04-2013 04:38 PM)Phaedrus Wrote:  
(17-04-2013 04:20 PM)childeye Wrote:  I don't have a Pastor. I watched it on the national geographic channel. But why don't you just simply google "proof of exodus". If you click on images, you can see egyptian artifacts and writings depicting the Exodus.

What do you know. I googled "proof of exodus" and... Saw no images of Egyptian artifacts depicting the Exodus. Only two of the first fifty results were of Egyptian writings or artifacts at all, and both linked back to a shitty Wordpress blog written by a fundamentalist nut job. Great evidence. Thanks, I'm much more enlightened now.
Funny I saw lot's of them. I also watched you tube presentations showing the same things.
17-04-2013, 05:57 PM
(17-04-2013 05:02 PM)evenheathen Wrote:  
(17-04-2013 04:13 PM)childeye Wrote:  I applaud you on your commentary of your paraphrasing. Yes maybe you atheists do think too much. What you proclaim as critical thinking has become more like cynicism in my view. You voice your distrust of someone like me who wants to be full of Love and trust in Love unto the end. I think you fool yourselves with your demand for evidence when you know deep down what is good. You need to believe in an untainted Love just like everyone else.

I see what you did there. Laughat

It's not mistrust of you. I trust that you believe your delusion whole heartedly. A lot of us here did also. That is until we decided to actually ask ourselves the hard questions and figure out what really makes sense. What really deserves an unwavering faith. Christianity doesn't hold a shred of good evidence. You'd think if it were true, and that god wanted us to truly believe, he'd have done a better job of providing some. It's not cynicism, just use of reason and intellectual honesty.
This is not cynicism? You'd have us all have happy lovey taint tickle time and learn to just trust our feelings. How cute. I'd rather be deluded that God\Love is trustworthy, rather than be deluded that everything has no reason. I look at the two spirits and they are as different as night and day, death and Life.
17-04-2013, 05:59 PM
(17-04-2013 05:42 PM)childeye Wrote:  
(17-04-2013 04:38 PM)Phaedrus Wrote:  What do you know. I googled "proof of exodus" and... Saw no images of Egyptian artifacts depicting the Exodus. Only two of the first fifty results were of Egyptian writings or artifacts at all, and both linked back to a shitty Wordpress blog written by a fundamentalist nut job. Great evidence. Thanks, I'm much more enlightened now.
Funny I saw lot's of them. I also watched you tube presentations showing the same things.

Please then, provide us a link....or just simply

Shoo fly

God is a concept by which we measure our pain -- John Lennon

17-04-2013, 06:02 PM
(17-04-2013 05:38 PM)childeye Wrote:  
(17-04-2013 03:48 PM)evenheathen Wrote:  Okay, I did. Here is the first hit http://rationalwiki.org/wiki/Evidence_for_the_Exodus
I've looked at this website. I would like to point out that there are powers that want to disprove all of this for political purposes.

Oh yes, those evil Christian and Jewish biblical archaeologists who spend their entire lives pretending to look for evidence of a nation of Israel pre-dating 600 BC and evidence that two million Jews were enslaved in Egypt and escaped with the help of a magical man and a series of plagues, and that they then went and invaded Canaan and killed everyone within its borders.... All these Christian and Jewish scholars and archaeologists, have decided to instead say that there's no evidence of ANY of it, because of " " " " " " political reasons " " " " " "

Sure. Drinking Beverage

E 2 = (mc 2)2 + (pc )2
614C → 714N + e + ̅νe
2 K(s) + 2 H2O(l) → 2 KOH(aq) + H2 (g) + 196 kJ/mol
It works, bitches.
17-04-2013, 06:05 PM
(17-04-2013 05:38 PM)childeye Wrote:  
(17-04-2013 03:48 PM)evenheathen Wrote:  Okay, I did. Here is the first hit http://rationalwiki.org/wiki/Evidence_for_the_Exodus
This site is definitely slanted with no evidence disproving anything, but only obscuring, questioning any ambiguity. It's all about "we don't know". If you wish to be a critical thinker, here's a good place to start. I got my information watching the national geographic channel which examined ancient papyrus text speaking about the plagues that wwere found in Egypt, stone tablets mentioning israel by name that were from the thirteenth century B.C... Many other convincing artifacts that support the bibles account. Most convincing was an etching on stone discovered in Egypt that showed a picture board of the whole story. Interestingly, the archaeologist who produced the documentary claimed that some Israelites had boarded ships and went to somewhere around Greece. And in Greece they found another stone picture board dated to around the same time showing the same picture board story as the stone in Egypt. If you're sincerely looking for evidence, it's all over the place on the internet.

Oh sorry we had a translation error here. We were looking for credible evidence backed up by real science. Not some nutjob spouting off about tablets that upon further examination turn out to be nothing but a bill of sale from a cloth merchant. In the actual scholastic world the exodus is considered at best just a myth and most likely inspired by older stories from around the region.

The majority of "evidence" for this event falls apart once it is thoroughly examined. As a historical document the bible is just not credible. It often confuses names of monarchs in the region (claiming that 1 monarch ruled in 1 kingdom and another who would have been born long after ruled in another at the same time) Up until the Babylonians conquered the northern kingdom there was no written bible. It was merely the oral folklore of the tribes of that part of palestine.

(31-07-2014 04:37 PM)Luminon Wrote:  America is full of guns, but they're useless, because nobody has the courage to shoot an IRS agent in self-defense
17-04-2013, 06:06 PM
(17-04-2013 05:57 PM)childeye Wrote:  
(17-04-2013 05:02 PM)evenheathen Wrote:  I see what you did there. Laughat

It's not mistrust of you. I trust that you believe your delusion whole heartedly. A lot of us here did also. That is until we decided to actually ask ourselves the hard questions and figure out what really makes sense. What really deserves an unwavering faith. Christianity doesn't hold a shred of good evidence. You'd think if it were true, and that god wanted us to truly believe, he'd have done a better job of providing some. It's not cynicism, just use of reason and intellectual honesty.
This is not cynicism? You'd have us all have happy lovey taint tickle time and learn to just trust our feelings. How cute. I'd rather be deluded that God\Love is trustworthy, rather than be deluded that everything has no reason. I look at the two spirits and they are as different as night and day, death and Life.

No, it's the difference between reality and fantasy. You are deluded.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
17-04-2013, 06:20 PM
(17-04-2013 05:26 PM)Phaedrus Wrote:  Here's a clue, before telling someone to google something, google it yourself. For instance, before telling PleaseJesus to use google to find transitional fossils showing the evolution of the giraffe's long neck, I first, you know, used Google and found fossils showing the evolution of the giraffe. Then I provided a link to the appropriate google results.

It's good practice to make sure you're right before telling someone to "google it". Drinking Beverage
I did google it myself. I don't know how to make a link.
17-04-2013, 06:22 PM
Question RE: the God term
(17-04-2013 05:57 PM)childeye Wrote:  
(17-04-2013 05:02 PM)evenheathen Wrote:  I see what you did there. Laughat

This is not cynicism? You'd have us all have happy lovey taint tickle time and learn to just trust our feelings. How cute. I'd rather be deluded that God\Love is trustworthy, rather than be deluded that everything has no reason. I look at the two spirits and they are as different as night and day death and Life.

It certainly is your choice to live in delusion. I wish you the best in that endeavor. Some of us choose to carefully decide what we place our trust in because there are too many wackos out there with dangerous snake oil to sell. One you swallow the fly, it's that much easier to swallow the spider.

Next thing you know there are shitloads of people ready and willing to swallow whatever makes them feel justified in their belief, regardless of what any evidence shows. This can quickly become dangerous for those who don't wish to swallow the same shit.

If your belief helps you to be a better person, then good. When it creeps into my child's history lessons in school, or into my options for healthcare, or into legislation regarding my friend's civil rights, then we have a problem.

Critical thinking is very important. So is love, sure. Christians these days love to dictate who gets to love and how. This is a problem. Religion is a problem.

If god exists (as more than a fuzzy feeling in your pants), it's certainly been a long damn time since he's come around to show us that he loves us. He's the cynical one if you ask me.

But now I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.

~ Umberto Eco
[+] 2 users Like evenheathen's post
17-04-2013, 06:23 PM
(17-04-2013 06:02 PM)Phaedrus Wrote:  
(17-04-2013 05:38 PM)childeye Wrote:  I've looked at this website. I would like to point out that there are powers that want to disprove all of this for political purposes.

Oh yes, those evil Christian and Jewish biblical archaeologists who spend their entire lives pretending to look for evidence of a nation of Israel pre-dating 600 BC and evidence that two million Jews were enslaved in Egypt and escaped with the help of a magical man and a series of plagues, and that they then went and invaded Canaan and killed everyone within its borders.... All these Christian and Jewish scholars and archaeologists, have decided to instead say that there's no evidence of ANY of it, because of " " " " " " political reasons " " " " " "

Sure. Drinking Beverage
No, political reasons concerning Isareli claim to the land of Israel.