the God term

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
15-04-2013, 11:39 AM
RE: the God term
(15-04-2013 11:24 AM)Revenant77x Wrote:  
(15-04-2013 11:21 AM)childeye Wrote:  Huh, Tao is the essence of motion. Interesting. Is this a moral\immoral\amoral term? Of course what is, is. That is what I would call Truth. What is, pertaining to human conduct is not always rational nor is sanity the same as insanity.

So you hold that morality is absolute? Can you name me a moral law that has no exception or qualifier?
Thanks for your reply. I would say morality is an absolute in that we all must make moral decisions as to how we treat others. As such, I would say that there is no moral law that has no exception or qualifier except one. That we need to have compassion and empathy to get along. In Christianity this is described as Loving God with all your heart mind and soul.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
15-04-2013, 11:41 AM
(15-04-2013 11:39 AM)childeye Wrote:  
(15-04-2013 11:24 AM)Revenant77x Wrote:  So you hold that morality is absolute? Can you name me a moral law that has no exception or qualifier?
Thanks for your reply. I would say morality is an absolute in that we all must make moral decisions as to how we treat others. As such, I would say that there is no moral law that has no exception or qualifier except one. That we need to have compassion and empathy to get along. In Christianity this is described as Loving God with all your heart mind and soul.

So then you are a moral relativist? Well thats good because so am I and as a moral relativist we have no need for a supreme source of our morality. Thus no need for a "god"

(31-07-2014 04:37 PM)Luminon Wrote:  America is full of guns, but they're useless, because nobody has the courage to shoot an IRS agent in self-defense
15-04-2013, 11:42 AM
(15-04-2013 11:32 AM)childeye Wrote:  ...
died on a cross and in doing so become a light to the world.

Blink

I call POE on this one.

(15-04-2013 11:39 AM)childeye Wrote:  ...
That we need to have compassion and empathy to get along.

In Christianity this is described as Loving God with all your heart mind and soul.

Did anyone else spot the non sequitur?

[+] 4 users Like DLJ's post
15-04-2013, 11:44 AM
(15-04-2013 11:42 AM)DLJ Wrote:  
(15-04-2013 11:32 AM)childeye Wrote:  ...
died on a cross and in doing so become a light to the world.

Blink

I call POE on this one.

I think I'm with you.

I'm still debating on whether or not I want to play.

[Image: vjp09.gif]
[+] 2 users Like kingschosen's post
15-04-2013, 11:44 AM
(15-04-2013 11:01 AM)DLJ Wrote:  Consider

The god-term started maybe around the 100th century BCE and ended on November 24, 1859 CE.

That's a pretty good run but his / her / their term is over now and they cannot stand for re-election.
I think I get what you are saying. You are holding to the term god as based upon a superstition. I am calling God Love.
15-04-2013, 11:47 AM
(15-04-2013 11:32 AM)childeye Wrote:  
(15-04-2013 11:14 AM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  He was rejected by his own people because he didn't do anything the (real) prophesy detailed.
Actually, he was charged with blaspheme.

Yes, because he failed to fulfill the prophesy of the "real" messiah. Anyone claiming that was already guilty of blasphemy. Being nailed to the cross..and for the record many ended up that way too for varying reasons, has nothing to do wo it. Because that wasn't part of the prophesy...just a story told later to make it seem plausible.

I say "shoo fly" to those of your ilk who seem to think they have the idea they are going to provide the "gotcha" moment to those of us who are good without the idea or notion of god or gods.

Imagine this...your sitting at a picnic table, on a warm summer day enjoying a most pleasant time, save for the fly buzzing around the platters and plates of food. The fly is only a mild annoyance. Something to be shoo'd away, but always returns..

Shoo fly

[Image: mrhanky.jpg]

Wind's in the east, a mist coming in
Like something is brewing and about to begin
Can't put my finger on what lies in store
but I feel what's to happen has happened before...

[+] 1 user Likes Momsurroundedbyboys's post
15-04-2013, 11:47 AM
(15-04-2013 11:44 AM)childeye Wrote:  ... I am calling God Love.

I call 'love' love.

Occam etc.

Tongue

[+] 6 users Like DLJ's post
15-04-2013, 11:48 AM
(15-04-2013 11:44 AM)childeye Wrote:  
(15-04-2013 11:01 AM)DLJ Wrote:  Consider

The god-term started maybe around the 100th century BCE and ended on November 24, 1859 CE.

That's a pretty good run but his / her / their term is over now and they cannot stand for re-election.
I think I get what you are saying. You are holding to the term god as based upon a superstition. I am calling God Love.

No. He's making fun of you and being sarcastic.

Undecided

[Image: vjp09.gif]
[+] 5 users Like kingschosen's post
15-04-2013, 11:50 AM
(15-04-2013 11:21 AM)childeye Wrote:  
(15-04-2013 11:04 AM)houseofcantor Wrote:  Tao is the essence of motion.
God is the essence of creation.

Thus, there is no reason for dogma. For we all create, upon the canvas of reality. We call that, "what is."
Huh, Tao is the essence of motion. Interesting. Is this a moral\immoral\amoral term? Of course what is, is. That is what I would call Truth. What is, pertaining to human conduct is not always rational nor is sanity the same as insanity.

The highest moral is "I love." Variance occurs with the conflicting definitions of "what is I," and "what is love." You seem to be stuck on the definition of I. You project the sense you have of morality upon god, and call it "right." But if you call yourself Christian, I becomes "western;" Muslim, eastern. Thus, relativism.

Absolute, sure, but each to his locality.

[Image: klingon_zps7e68578a.jpg]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
15-04-2013, 11:52 AM
(15-04-2013 11:41 AM)Revenant77x Wrote:  
(15-04-2013 11:39 AM)childeye Wrote:  Thanks for your reply. I would say morality is an absolute in that we all must make moral decisions as to how we treat others. As such, I would say that there is no moral law that has no exception or qualifier except one. That we need to have compassion and empathy to get along. In Christianity this is described as Loving God with all your heart mind and soul.

So then you are a moral relativist? Well thats good because so am I and as a moral relativist we have no need for a supreme source of our morality. Thus no need for a "god"
I think you have an aversion to the term god. As I have stated, I am a Christian and therefore believe I need the Spirit of Love which I identify as God. Moreover, my expercience in this world is that love often is under attack which is why I am so taken with the Christ who endured so much suffering, humiliation and such, yet he forgave those who would do such great harm to him. To believe that Love endures is the same to me as good will ultimately conquer evil. I find the spirit that lives in me by believing this, is joyous yet a sweet sorrow.