the God term

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
18-04-2013, 12:27 AM
RE: the God term
(17-04-2013 09:57 PM)childeye Wrote:  
(17-04-2013 09:04 PM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  Then you devalue it, and it essentially means nothing to you.
If you love everyone, it's nothing special.
It's thus meaningless.
So much for this thread.
Say what? Love is all there is. It is Eternal I tell you. It never is devalued, it only grows. Man, you don't know what you're missing.

Meaningless drivel. I never said I did not value love. You said you love those you don't know. That means loving those you DO know is nothing special.
Have you ever considered taking a class in Logic ? You can't even say what is meant by "eternal". This is like arguing with a rock. Weeping

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein
Those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music - Friedrich Nietzsche
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like Bucky Ball's post
18-04-2013, 03:18 AM
(17-04-2013 11:23 PM)evenheathen Wrote:  
(17-04-2013 09:57 PM)childeye Wrote:  Say what? Love is all there is. It is Eternal I tell you. It never is devalued, it only grows. Man, you don't know what you're missing.

Alright, hold on. You're getting your taint in a tizzy again. Blush

Love is probably the most important and influential emotion that humanity has, second maybe only to fear. You want to know more about atheists? I'll bite. You started out a little sketchy, but seem to be becoming more genuine as this thread progresses so I'll throw my 2 coppers at ya.

Eternal? Where is the evidence of that? We can go to the bible but that's a whole other discussion. My love isn't eternal, it's here and now. It will cease to be but a memory once I've retired from this earth. That's what gives it it's potency. I don't know what I'm missing? I feel the same love as you, brother, we just interpret it's significance a little bit differently.

You're afraid that eternity doesn't exist for you, so you cling to the belief that your most sacred emotions (love, empathy) come from and are a part of god, an eternal force. Therefore your life-force (soul) must also be eternal. This is a very comforting thought, but not rational.

As an atheist I believe that this life is it. You interpret that right off to mean that I attribute no meaning to life. This would be a false assumption. If this is all I have, then every moment is that much more precious. Every chance I have to enjoy this beautiful, awesome earth and the wonderful people in my life is that much more valuable. I thank my lucky balls that I am fortunate to be able to play a small role in this clusterfuck of an existence we call life.

Do I fear death? No. The late, great Cristopher Hitchens said (and of course I can't find the damn quote at the moment) something to the effect of, we aren't aware of not being alive for all of eternity before we are born and it doesn't bother us, why would we think we'll be bothered by not existing after we die? (he said it much better than that) All matters of my life will cease to exist to me after I cease to exist, so it's inconsequential. My only fear concerning death is concerned within this life. Am I doing everything I can to live to the fullest while I am here? My regrets about my death only exist as a realization that I will never be able to experience everything that I want to in the short time I have here.

The way we live on is in our legacy. It's in the art we make, the music we create. The love and memories that will stay with our families and friends after we are gone. And, if we are lucky and motivated enough, maybe something we have done in life will live on to be remembered by the world long after our death.

That's the reason for reason, for inquiry, and critical thinking. After you shrug off the simple superstition that faith is, you are free to embrace the natural complexities of this world. The universe is simply awe inspiring (no god required), and learning about it is much more stimulating than simply chalking it up to god and sitting around going, "man, can't wait for heaven cus this place is kinda shitty". Perhaps one day my legacy will be to contribute something to further the evolution of humanity.

It probably won't be anything grand, but if it's only the simple things it's okay. Helping a friend through a rough time, raising my sons to be awesome little heathens, being a loving husband to my wife because she's fucking awesome and deserves it. Everything I can contribute to every moment of my life that is good and enjoyable is worth it because that's all I have. And I am bound and determined to make the most of it.

I am an atheist because god was too important to me to take lightly. I finally had to be honest with myself and ask those hard questions and find satisfying answers to them. I finally screwed up enough courage to look god straight in the eye....

Fuck me, but I was just looking at myself the whole time.

It's a scary thing to let go of faith, and for a lot of reasons. But I'm a better, more confident and surefooted person for having done so. This life and it's craziness makes a lot more sense now that I don't have to attribute everything to a magic entity.

But I don't speak for everyone else, this is just what my atheism means to me. Hope that helps some.

That was beautiful man. Got my taint in a right tizzy. Weeping

(31-07-2014 04:37 PM)Luminon Wrote:  America is full of guns, but they're useless, because nobody has the courage to shoot an IRS agent in self-defense
18-04-2013, 07:11 AM
Taint tizzying is my talent! Cool

But now I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.

~ Umberto Eco
18-04-2013, 08:28 AM
Re: the God term
The quote, for the record, was originally from Mark Twain, not Hitchens; probably why you couldn't find it.
18-04-2013, 09:17 AM
(18-04-2013 08:28 AM)Phaedrus Wrote:  The quote, for the record, was originally from Mark Twain, not Hitchens; probably why you couldn't find it.

Ah, well that explains it. Thanks for the correction. I must have heard Hitchens use it somewhere.

But now I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.

~ Umberto Eco
18-04-2013, 09:26 AM
“I do not fear death. I had been dead for billions and billions of years before I was born, and had not suffered the slightest inconvenience from it.”
- Mark Twain

Yeah, I heard Hitchens use it in a debate too. It's a good one, I've used it myself.

E 2 = (mc 2)2 + (pc )2
614C → 714N + e + ̅νe
2 K(s) + 2 H2O(l) → 2 KOH(aq) + H2 (g) + 196 kJ/mol
It works, bitches.
[+] 1 user Likes Phaedrus's post
18-04-2013, 09:31 AM
(18-04-2013 09:26 AM)Phaedrus Wrote:  “I do not fear death. I had been dead for billions and billions of years before I was born, and had not suffered the slightest inconvenience from it.”
- Mark Twain

Yeah, I heard Hitchens use it in a debate too. It's a good one, I've used it myself.

It's funny my son was asking about death last night. He said death sounded boring to him, but I told him that it wouldn't matter...LOL..You live on in people's memories, lives you've touched etc.

Then I asked him if he remembered anything that happened before he was born...He looked at me with that "DuH mom" look.

Then he thought about it...And made the connection.

God is a concept by which we measure our pain -- John Lennon

[+] 2 users Like Momsurroundedbyboys's post
18-04-2013, 09:59 AM
(17-04-2013 10:52 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  
(17-04-2013 10:16 PM)childeye Wrote:  Love is not like Santa. It's every moment of everyday for me. It is infinitely bigger than myself. Though this is impossible to prove, I ascertain it by faith. Here are the choices in my moral reasoning, they are two opposite directions on a straight line away or towards God. I either sacrifice myself to save others or sacrifice others to save myself. We all will make this choice somewhere in our lives.

Your logic is flawed and your reasoning circular. I must disingage from this discussion. We haven't anything further to discuss.
I sincerely wish you would keep corresponding. I like talking to you. It's not fair you get the last word and then leave. You could at least come in once in a while and say shoo fly. Better to be a fly than non-existent.
18-04-2013, 10:00 AM
(17-04-2013 10:52 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  
(17-04-2013 10:16 PM)childeye Wrote:  Love is not like Santa. It's every moment of everyday for me. It is infinitely bigger than myself. Though this is impossible to prove, I ascertain it by faith. Here are the choices in my moral reasoning, they are two opposite directions on a straight line away or towards God. I either sacrifice myself to save others or sacrifice others to save myself. We all will make this choice somewhere in our lives.

Your logic is flawed and your reasoning circular. I must disingage from this discussion. We haven't anything further to discuss.
I sincerely wish you would keep corresponding. I like talking to you. It's not fair you get the last word and then leave. You could at least come in once in a while and say shoo fly. Better to be a fly than non-existent.
18-04-2013, 10:03 AM
(17-04-2013 10:56 PM)DLJ Wrote:  
(17-04-2013 09:01 PM)childeye Wrote:  There is no reason for life according to an atheist, so there can be no reason for reason.

Reason (verb) is a process.

It does need a reason (noun).

Smartass
Oh , I agree with you. It's just that other atheists here have said there is no reason (noun) for Life. Hence I must be at falut assuming you felt the same way.