the God term

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
18-04-2013, 11:17 AM
RE: the God term
I'm sure a stick of dynamite always helps too.

[Image: 3cdac7eec8f6b059070d9df56f50a7ae.jpg]
Now with 40% more awesome.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
18-04-2013, 11:18 AM
I keep seeing that someone new has commented, but it doesn't show up until after I post. WTF?

“Science is simply common sense at its best, that is, rigidly accurate in observation, and merciless to fallacy in logic.”
—Thomas Henry Huxley
18-04-2013, 11:19 AM
(18-04-2013 11:17 AM)earmuffs Wrote:  I'm sure a stick of dynamite always helps too.

ROCK BLASPHEMY! You'll never learn of the rocks if you treat them like that!

“Science is simply common sense at its best, that is, rigidly accurate in observation, and merciless to fallacy in logic.”
—Thomas Henry Huxley
18-04-2013, 11:20 AM
My and my big box of dynamite sticks disagree...
sleepy time I think

18-04-2013, 11:24 AM
Hey TBD, click the spoiler... I DARE you!

[Image: australia-rock-crusher.jpg]

Oh the horror!

18-04-2013, 11:25 AM
(18-04-2013 11:24 AM)earmuffs Wrote:  Hey TBD, click the spoiler... I DARE you!

[Image: australia-rock-crusher.jpg]

Oh the horror!

you evil son of a bitch

—Thomas Henry Huxley
[+] 1 user Likes TheBeardedDude's post
18-04-2013, 11:26 AM
[Image: stewie_evil.jpg]

[+] 2 users Like earmuffs's post
18-04-2013, 11:27 AM (This post was last modified: 18-04-2013 11:30 AM by childeye.)
(17-04-2013 11:23 PM)evenheathen Wrote:  
(17-04-2013 09:57 PM)childeye Wrote:  Say what? Love is all there is. It is Eternal I tell you. It never is devalued, it only grows. Man, you don't know what you're missing.

Alright, hold on. You're getting your taint in a tizzy again. Blush

Love is probably the most important and influential emotion that humanity has, second maybe only to fear. You want to know more about atheists? I'll bite. You started out a little sketchy, but seem to be becoming more genuine as this thread progresses so I'll throw my 2 coppers at ya.

Eternal? Where is the evidence of that? We can go to the bible but that's a whole other discussion. My love isn't eternal, it's here and now. It will cease to be but a memory once I've retired from this earth. That's what gives it it's potency. I don't know what I'm missing? I feel the same love as you, brother, we just interpret it's significance a little bit differently.

You're afraid that eternity doesn't exist for you, so you cling to the belief that your most sacred emotions (love, empathy) come from and are a part of god, an eternal force. Therefore your life-force (soul) must also be eternal. This is a very comforting thought, but not rational.

As an atheist I believe that this life is it. You interpret that right off to mean that I attribute no meaning to life. This would be a false assumption. If this is all I have, then every moment is that much more precious. Every chance I have to enjoy this beautiful, awesome earth and the wonderful people in my life is that much more valuable. I thank my lucky balls that I am fortunate to be able to play a small role in this clusterfuck of an existence we call life.

Do I fear death? No. The late, great Cristopher Hitchens said (and of course I can't find the damn quote at the moment) something to the effect of, we aren't aware of not being alive for all of eternity before we are born and it doesn't bother us, why would we think we'll be bothered by not existing after we die? (he said it much better than that) All matters of my life will cease to exist to me after I cease to exist, so it's inconsequential. My only fear concerning death is concerned within this life. Am I doing everything I can to live to the fullest while I am here? My regrets about my death only exist as a realization that I will never be able to experience everything that I want to in the short time I have here.

The way we live on is in our legacy. It's in the art we make, the music we create. The love and memories that will stay with our families and friends after we are gone. And, if we are lucky and motivated enough, maybe something we have done in life will live on to be remembered by the world long after our death.

That's the reason for reason, for inquiry, and critical thinking. After you shrug off the simple superstition that faith is, you are free to embrace the natural complexities of this world. The universe is simply awe inspiring (no god required), and learning about it is much more stimulating than simply chalking it up to god and sitting around going, "man, can't wait for heaven cus this place is kinda shitty". Perhaps one day my legacy will be to contribute something to further the evolution of humanity.

It probably won't be anything grand, but if it's only the simple things it's okay. Helping a friend through a rough time, raising my sons to be awesome little heathens, being a loving husband to my wife because she's fucking awesome and deserves it. Everything I can contribute to every moment of my life that is good and enjoyable is worth it because that's all I have. And I am bound and determined to make the most of it.

I am an atheist because god was too important to me to take lightly. I finally had to be honest with myself and ask those hard questions and find satisfying answers to them. I finally screwed up enough courage to look god straight in the eye....

Fuck me, but I was just looking at myself the whole time.

It's a scary thing to let go of faith, and for a lot of reasons. But I'm a better, more confident and surefooted person for having done so. This life and it's craziness makes a lot more sense now that I don't have to attribute everything to a magic entity.

But I don't speak for everyone else, this is just what my atheism means to me. Hope that helps some.
Impressive post eveheathen. Your image of god wherein you have stopped putting forth faith is corrupt, but you definitely have God on the inside. Therefore I am glad you have given up on that faith since a corrupt god produces a corrupt spirit. Also, I can now understand why you find a new sense of security in atheism.

I also greatly appreciated your correction on the value of Life as per your view. I am in agreement with you regarding most of your sentiments. There are a few which I would like to point out, where you are in error concerning me and where perhaps there may be flaws in your reasoning.

You mentioned that I am afraid eternity doesn't exist for me. That is not true by any means. I don't fear death at all. That's why I can appreciate what you said. Here is where your reasoning is flawed in my view. You said "Eternal, where is the evidence of that?" That which is eternal can never be proven and you know this. It seems to me that the atheist desires proof of what he knows cannot be proven. So when I say that it must be apprehended in faith, I get told that my whole argument just got blown out of the water. When I say there is abundant proof of God in that Love rules, it is taken as if I said I can prove a line goes on forever. Of course who can carry on a comprehensive discussion when such semantics will obscure both the speaker and the listener?

Moreover, since what is eternal cannot be disproven for the same reason it cannot be proven, you must therefore also know that the Person of God cannot be disproven. Particularly since we see character in all the animals and we ourselves are persons. So that leaves all men with one thing faith. What are we going to believe?

So with this in mind, let us quite trying to prove things which we both know can always be questioned. I find your point about fear being greater than Love quite compelling. Indeed science has shown that chimpanzees raised in isolation knew only fear and were in effect insane. While chimpanzees who were raised by loving Mothers were secure and shared and cared for others. So assuming humans are no different in this regard I feel safe in saying that fear is where Love is void. Hence Love is the most important power and that is why Love is God.

Finally, that brings me to the point of finding yourself when looking God in the eye. That is what happened to me also, and why God is a Person even as He is Love. This is said numerous times in the bible. That man was made in God's Image. That the children of God carry the Spirit of the Father. But the flesh is just a vessel just like the chimpanzees were ruled by fear where Love was void.

By the way, Hitchens was proving God and didn't even know it.
18-04-2013, 11:35 AM
(18-04-2013 10:06 AM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  
(18-04-2013 10:03 AM)childeye Wrote:  It's just that other atheists here have said there is no reason (noun) for Life. Hence I must be at falut assuming you felt the same way.

Name 2.
Why?
18-04-2013, 11:52 AM
(18-04-2013 12:27 AM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  
(17-04-2013 09:57 PM)childeye Wrote:  Say what? Love is all there is. It is Eternal I tell you. It never is devalued, it only grows. Man, you don't know what you're missing.

Meaningless drivel. I never said I did not value love. You said you love those you don't know. That means loving those you DO know is nothing special.
Have you ever considered taking a class in Logic ? You can't even say what is meant by "eternal". This is like arguing with a rock. Weeping
I never said you didn't value Love Bucky ball. Nor did I think it, or mean to imply it. Give me a chance here. We're getting off to a rocky relationship that is for sure. You know what would get you real mad at me? If I said that you believe that if you love somebody you never knew, then your wife and children and family will become nothing special. Of course that is not what you mean.

Let me show you something about just how wrong you are about me, and watch carefully: WHAT IS MEANT BY "ETERNAL". There you see, I can say it.