the God term

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
18-04-2013, 12:00 PM
RE: the God term
(18-04-2013 11:08 AM)TheBeardedDude Wrote:  
(18-04-2013 11:05 AM)earmuffs Wrote:  I disagree.
It's like talking to a brick wall some times.
It's hard to get anything out of them and when you do it's pretty coarse stuff.

You have to know how to talk to them and what questions to ask. They are agreeable and will freely give you all the information they contain. But you must be willing to work for it, look in the right places, and ask the right questions. Thumbsup

You're right. Rocks can and do contain lots of information. Saying this person here still bleating, is clearly an insult to rocks.

God is a concept by which we measure our pain -- John Lennon

Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Momsurroundedbyboys's post
18-04-2013, 12:01 PM
(17-04-2013 09:48 PM)childeye Wrote:  
(17-04-2013 09:40 PM)Revenant77x Wrote:  Wait til we get to know him and take the kid gloves off.
Now wait a minute. I don't want you to spare me the rough stuff. I'm a Christian, I live to suffer and be persecuted for the sake of the Gospel. I need you to be cruel to me so that when I pray for you all, my prayer has power.

HADOUKEN!!!

[Image: hadouken.jpg]

[Image: 3d366d5c-72a0-4228-b835-f404c2970188_zps...1381867723]
[+] 1 user Likes cheapthrillseaker's post
18-04-2013, 12:08 PM
(18-04-2013 12:01 PM)cheapthrillseaker Wrote:  
(17-04-2013 09:48 PM)childeye Wrote:  Now wait a minute. I don't want you to spare me the rough stuff. I'm a Christian, I live to suffer and be persecuted for the sake of the Gospel. I need you to be cruel to me so that when I pray for you all, my prayer has power.

HADOUKEN!!!

[Image: hadouken.jpg]

Bowing

[+] 1 user Likes Momsurroundedbyboys's post
18-04-2013, 12:09 PM
Quote:You mentioned that I am afraid eternity doesn't exist for me. That is not true by any means. I don't fear death at all.

The very notion of gods was first created by man to offer an explanation for that which could not be understood by primitive society. Fear of the unknown. Over time, as the philosophical questions kept developing, the answer for the greatest unknown (what happens when we die) was sought. I believe that the natural instinct for life and fear of death is what drove man to come up with the concept of eternal life. We are all afraid of death to some extent. You are comfortable with your answer, but it makes little sense to me so I am comfortable with mine.

Quote:That man was made in God's Image.

Funny how that works. Every god ever invented by man has had human traits, personalities, jealous reactions, anger issues, etc. Does it make more sense that man was created in god's image, or that god was created by man and so reflects man's image?

But now I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.

~ Umberto Eco
18-04-2013, 12:13 PM
Actually I think it's more accurate to say man created god in his own image.

[+] 3 users Like Momsurroundedbyboys's post
18-04-2013, 12:19 PM
(18-04-2013 09:26 AM)Phaedrus Wrote:  “I do not fear death. I had been dead for billions and billions of years before I was born, and had not suffered the slightest inconvenience from it.”
- Mark Twain

Yeah, I heard Hitchens use it in a debate too. It's a good one, I've used it myself.
So this is the quote. It reminds me of a man who will be glad to find out he is wrong.
18-04-2013, 12:22 PM
(18-04-2013 12:13 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  Actually I think it's more accurate to say man created god in his own image.

You say tomato, I say toma...tomaaa....how the fuck are you suppose to type that?Tongue

But now I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.

~ Umberto Eco
18-04-2013, 12:23 PM
(18-04-2013 11:52 AM)childeye Wrote:  
(18-04-2013 12:27 AM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  Meaningless drivel. I never said I did not value love. You said you love those you don't know. That means loving those you DO know is nothing special.
Have you ever considered taking a class in Logic ? You can't even say what is meant by "eternal". This is like arguing with a rock. Weeping
I never said you didn't value Love Bucky ball. Nor did I think it, or mean to imply it. Give me a chance here. We're getting off to a rocky relationship that is for sure. You know what would get you real mad at me? If I said that you believe that if you love somebody you never knew, then your wife and children and family will become nothing special. Of course that is not what you mean.

Let me show you something about just how wrong you are about me, and watch carefully: WHAT IS MEANT BY "ETERNAL". There you see, I can say it.

Except you forgot to explain what you mean by it. I see you can't. Weeping

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein
Those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music - Friedrich Nietzsche
18-04-2013, 12:31 PM
(18-04-2013 12:13 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  Actually I think it's more accurate to say man created god in his own image.
Yes the bible testifies that man created god in his own image and even other images, when in fact man was made in the Image of God. Such is the illogic of the creation being worshipped over the Creator and the accompanying vanity.
18-04-2013, 12:31 PM
(18-04-2013 12:09 PM)evenheathen Wrote:  
Quote:You mentioned that I am afraid eternity doesn't exist for me. That is not true by any means. I don't fear death at all.

The very notion of gods was first created by man to offer an explanation for that which could not be understood by primitive society. Fear of the unknown. Over time, as the philosophical questions kept developing, the answer for the greatest unknown (what happens when we die) was sought. I believe that the natural instinct for life and fear of death is what drove man to come up with the concept of eternal life. We are all afraid of death to some extent. You are comfortable with your answer, but it makes little sense to me so I am comfortable with mine.

Quote:That man was made in God's Image.

Funny how that works. Every god ever invented by man has had human traits, personalities, jealous reactions, anger issues, etc. Does it make more sense that man was created in god's image, or that god was created by man and so reflects man's image?

I like to think of it as this God= answer unknown. Throughout history Man has a need to Know. There is nothing scarier or more frustrating to Man than the unknown. Gods work wonderfully in this instance why is there lightning? Why Zeus is striking the wicked. However as we peel back the unknown we find the real reasons behind the Gods. Lightning is static build up in the atmosphere that is discharged in a path of least resistance to the ground.

So in this God is like that silvery stuff on a scratch off ticket. It is a placeholder for real information. We can see this in action as now god is reduced to being nothing by a synonym for Love by the OP. My how the supposedly mighty have fallen. The once all powerful God is now nothing more than a disappearing placeholder in the gaps of human knowledge "The God of the Gaps". Yewah has been in decline since the 15th century and the end of the medieval period and thank science for that. We went from burning midwives as witches to landing a rover on the surface of Mars all because we rolled back what was once the providence of God alone.

(31-07-2014 04:37 PM)Luminon Wrote:  America is full of guns, but they're useless, because nobody has the courage to shoot an IRS agent in self-defense