the God term

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
18-04-2013, 03:16 PM
RE: the God term
(18-04-2013 03:13 PM)Phaedrus Wrote:  
(18-04-2013 02:52 PM)childeye Wrote:  Then it could be God is what you're saying? Then why atheism?

It could not be god. Then why theism?

The answer to "I don't know" is "I don't know." Not, "I don't know, so I'm going to imagine the most comforting fairy tale I can think of so I can pretend I'll never die."

If that's the most comforting fairy tale I have lost all hope for humanity. No

[Image: 3d366d5c-72a0-4228-b835-f404c2970188_zps...1381867723]
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
18-04-2013, 03:28 PM
This forum is glitching... Posts that start a new page don't show up until the next post.

E 2 = (mc 2)2 + (pc )2
614C → 714N + e + ̅νe
2 K(s) + 2 H2O(l) → 2 KOH(aq) + H2 (g) + 196 kJ/mol
It works, bitches.
[+] 1 user Likes Phaedrus's post
18-04-2013, 03:29 PM
(18-04-2013 02:52 PM)childeye Wrote:  Then it could be God is what you're saying? Then why atheism?

The answer to "I don't know" is "I don't know." Not, "I don't know, so I'm going to imagine the most comforting fairy tale I can think of so I can pretend I'll never die."

What he said.

Also the idea that the god of the bible is absurd isn't coming from the writers inability to explain the world. Are you at all aware of any of the numerous arguments against the possibility of such a god existing? It takes some heavy cognitive dissonance and burying of one's head to get around them.

If there is a supreme being, a first cause, it sure as shit isn't going to be the god of Abraham. And is not made of love or empathy. Drinking Beverage

But now I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.

~ Umberto Eco
18-04-2013, 03:31 PM
Sort of, Phaed. It's showing in some parts of the world faster.

[Image: 3d366d5c-72a0-4228-b835-f404c2970188_zps...1381867723]
18-04-2013, 03:42 PM
(18-04-2013 03:16 PM)cheapthrillseaker Wrote:  
(18-04-2013 03:13 PM)Phaedrus Wrote:  It could not be god. Then why theism?

If that's the most comforting fairy tale I have lost all hope for humanity. No

Sad isn't? Makes me pity those types...

God is a concept by which we measure our pain -- John Lennon

18-04-2013, 03:46 PM
(18-04-2013 03:29 PM)evenheathen Wrote:  Also the idea that the god of the bible is absurd

If there is a supreme being, a first cause, it sure as shit isn't going to be the god of Abraham. And is not made of love or empathy. Drinking Beverage

Actually that "god" is based on older myths. That's what's really, really sad.

God is a concept by which we measure our pain -- John Lennon

18-04-2013, 03:50 PM
(18-04-2013 03:11 PM)Revenant77x Wrote:  
(18-04-2013 03:01 PM)childeye Wrote:  There is a distinction between bio matter and a person. Love is not moleculer, neither is knowledge and neither is Truth. Hence when the the philosopher says to know thyself, he is not talking about disecting the body to the sub atomic levels. Hence the chimpanzees prove my point. Love is passed on. It transcends us. You can say we learn it if you like, just so as you recognize it as an absolute Moral Truth that rules over flesh.

No if you want to be technical love is chemical and electrical impulses. I also don't believe in absolute morality.
Okay you want to get technical and avoid the term spiritual. Fine, let's look at it. The chimpanzees who have nothing but fear because of no knowledge of Love, they have become hardwired in their brains apart from their will to do so. They do not know trust, hence they attack out of fear because of distrust. The lack of Love has shaped the personality of these helpless chimpanzees. Sure, the brain is chemicals and electrical as per the workings of all brains in many species of animal. But the presence of Love and the lack of love preceded the chemical outcome. The Love created the proper chemical balance. This has been shown in many scientific experiments that prove Love and lack of Love making the difference in the chemical makeup of the brain.

You say you don't believe in absolute morality. What does that nean? I'm struggling to understand the atheistic thought. To me, as a Christian and a believer in God. God is an absolute only attainable by faith. Hence the insane chimpanzees ruled by fear, do not know trust. Trust in what? Once again trust/Faith in Love. All things are relative to God, the absolute. So what is morality relative to to an atheist? Let me guess. Since you believe the absolute is made in your image, then obviously morality is relative to you, or in other words each and every individual. Am I right?
18-04-2013, 03:57 PM
Chimpanzees actually do show love and compassion, and altruism. And language and tool use. So you're ignorant of primatology.

What experiments are you talking about with regard to love? What you just said makes absolutely no sense. This is going to be like your Egypt crap isn't it, where you saw a TV show or read something on the internet, then didn't do any further research and embellished it in your mind...

E 2 = (mc 2)2 + (pc )2
614C → 714N + e + ̅νe
It works, bitches.
[+] 1 user Likes Phaedrus's post
18-04-2013, 04:00 PM

This I know. Since we must believe something, why not believe in the greatest Love of all? Sacrificing one's own self to save others as opposed to sacrificing others to save one's self.
18-04-2013, 04:08 PM
(18-04-2013 04:00 PM)childeye Wrote:  
(18-04-2013 03:13 PM)Phaedrus Wrote:  It could not be god. Then why theism?

This I know. Since we must believe something, why not believe in the greatest Love of all? Sacrificing one's own self to save others as opposed to sacrificing others to save one's self.

Because you're conflating altruism with your religion. It's an equivocation fallacy. I know you don't know what that is (you're obviously not very well educated), so allow me to explain.

This is an equivocation fallacy:

Feathers are light.
Light is the opposite of dark.
Therefore feathers cannot be dark.

Do you see it? It's switching definitions or senses of a word halfway through an argument. You did it with the word believe, and also with love. It's a stupid argument only used by two types of people: liars, and idiots. Which are you?

^ See that? What I just said? That's another type of fallacy, which you also have made, called a false dichotomy, where you set up two choices as being the only possible options, when in fact three, five, or a thousand other choices may exist. You used it when you implied that the choice must be between "The Greatest Love of All!!!" or "sacrificing others to save one's self."

You have the education of a fifth grader.

E 2 = (mc 2)2 + (pc )2
614C → 714N + e + ̅νe
It works, bitches.