the God term

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
18-04-2013, 04:09 PM
RE: the God term
(18-04-2013 04:00 PM)childeye Wrote:  
(18-04-2013 03:13 PM)Phaedrus Wrote:  It could not be god. Then why theism?

The answer to "I don't know" is "I don't know." Not, "I don't know, so I'm going to imagine the most comforting fairy tale I can think of so I can pretend I'll never die."
This I know. Since we must believe something, why not believe in the greatest Love of all? Sacrificing one's own self to save others as opposed to sacrificing others to save one's self.

The part that is in bold is stupid. Let's just say, for instance, you DO have to believe in SOMETHING. Just because you have to believe in something, doesn't mean you have to believe in something that is most probably false. There is no good evidence of God/gods, or at least none that I have seen. Even your argument is dependent on the Bible being an accurate representation of actual History.

Here is a better argument, and a retort to you: If you have to believe in something, why not believe something that has good, verifiable, testable and confirm-able evidence for it? Having good evidence is better than having no evidence at all.

[Image: 0013382F-E507-48AE-906B-53008666631C-757...cc3639.jpg]
Credit goes to UndercoverAtheist.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 3 users Like Atothetheist's post
18-04-2013, 04:15 PM
glitch glitch glitch

E 2 = (mc 2)2 + (pc )2
614C → 714N + e + ̅νe
2 K(s) + 2 H2O(l) → 2 KOH(aq) + H2 (g) + 196 kJ/mol
It works, bitches.
18-04-2013, 04:44 PM
(18-04-2013 03:50 PM)childeye Wrote:  
(18-04-2013 03:11 PM)Revenant77x Wrote:  No if you want to be technical love is chemical and electrical impulses. I also don't believe in absolute morality.
Okay you want to get technical and avoid the term spiritual. Fine, let's look at it. The chimpanzees who have nothing but fear because of no knowledge of Love, they have become hardwired in their brains apart from their will to do so. They do not know trust, hence they attack out of fear because of distrust. The lack of Love has shaped the personality of these helpless chimpanzees. Sure, the brain is chemicals and electrical as per the workings of all brains in many species of animal. But the presence of Love and the lack of love preceded the chemical outcome. The Love created the proper chemical balance. This has been shown in many scientific experiments that prove Love and lack of Love making the difference in the chemical makeup of the brain.

You say you don't believe in absolute morality. What does that nean? I'm struggling to understand the atheistic thought. To me, as a Christian and a believer in God. God is an absolute only attainable by faith. Hence the insane chimpanzees ruled by fear, do not know trust. Trust in what? Once again trust/Faith in Love. All things are relative to God, the absolute. So what is morality relative to to an atheist? Let me guess. Since you believe the absolute is made in your image, then obviously morality is relative to you, or in other words each and every individual. Am I right?

No I am not that vain. My over-ridding philosophy is thus nothing in this universe is absolute. Everything has variations within that change the whole. The only instance where you can have any kind of absolute statement is in mathematics, the base code of the universe.

Morality is not a constant but an ever growing idea. There are a few parts of morality that are true in most instances but none are true in all. We can start with the golden rule, which is a great idea and the basis for a secular society.

Do unto others as you would have them do unto you.

That is a wonderful way to live your daily life, right up until you come across someone that does not reciprocate. Are you morally bound not to intervene when a man attacks your wife or children? Of course not! Thus as a Law the golden rule is not absolute.

So if the only rule that transcends culture is not absolute then I hold that no moral rule can be.

(31-07-2014 04:37 PM)Luminon Wrote:  America is full of guns, but they're useless, because nobody has the courage to shoot an IRS agent in self-defense
18-04-2013, 04:51 PM
18-04-2013, 04:52 PM
(18-04-2013 04:09 PM)Atothetheist Wrote:  
(18-04-2013 04:00 PM)childeye Wrote:  This I know. Since we must believe something, why not believe in the greatest Love of all? Sacrificing one's own self to save others as opposed to sacrificing others to save one's self.

The part that is in bold is stupid. Let's just say, for instance, you DO have to believe in SOMETHING. Just because you have to believe in something, doesn't mean you have to believe in something that is most probably false. There is no good evidence of God/gods, or at least none that I have seen. Even your argument is dependent on the Bible being an accurate representation of actual History.

Here is a better argument, and a retort to you: If you have to believe in something, why not believe something that has good, verifiable, testable and confirm-able evidence for it? Having good evidence is better than having no evidence at all.

This person doesn't think. All they care about are the warm fuzzy endorphins that are released by the chemical reaction in their brain whenever they think of what they perceive to be gods love. They don't realize that there are many things that can give you the same feelings and they haven't a thing to do with god.

God is a concept by which we measure our pain -- John Lennon

18-04-2013, 04:53 PM
(18-04-2013 03:46 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  
(18-04-2013 03:29 PM)evenheathen Wrote:  Also the idea that the god of the bible is absurd

If there is a supreme being, a first cause, it sure as shit isn't going to be the god of Abraham. And is not made of love or empathy. Drinking Beverage

[qoute]Actually that "god" is based on older myths. That's what's really, really sad.

I know, they could have at least stuck with the original yaweh war god who was all badass and shit.

But now I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.

~ Umberto Eco
18-04-2013, 05:03 PM

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Chas's post
18-04-2013, 05:08 PM
(18-04-2013 04:09 PM)Atothetheist Wrote:  
(18-04-2013 04:00 PM)childeye Wrote:  This I know. Since we must believe something, why not believe in the greatest Love of all? Sacrificing one's own self to save others as opposed to sacrificing others to save one's self.

Fisrt of all, I fail to see what is stupid about someone losing their life to save someone else. I would applaud that quality in any man. I don't know how read up on this thread you are. We are talking about why we believe when there is no evidence.
18-04-2013, 05:08 PM
(18-04-2013 04:53 PM)evenheathen Wrote:  
(18-04-2013 03:46 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  [qoute]Actually that "god" is based on older myths. That's what's really, really sad.

I know, they could have at least stuck with the original yaweh war god who was all badass and shit.

But nooooo gawd is loooooove.

Drinking Beverage

Yea i'm always falling for the bad boy Wink

18-04-2013, 05:11 PM
When someone gives up their own life to save the life of another it hasn't a thing to do with gawd...it just makes them a better person; than the person doing it only to curry favor or score points with a nonexistent diety.