the God term

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
15-04-2013, 12:31 PM
RE: the God term
(15-04-2013 11:59 AM)Phaedrus Wrote:  Childeye, words mean things. You can change the meaning of words, but don't expect others to agree with them.

You say the word god means "love". Ok, fine, then by your definition I feel "god" (because you're saying the word god means "love" and I feel love for some people and things).

Here's the part where you are full of shit.

You don't define the word "god" as "love". You define it as "love" + theological bullshit. The theological bullshit is what we object to.

Your entire argument is based on a deliberate equivocation fallacy and confusion of definition, and the whole of your defense so far has been what I would call "Word Salad".

You're not special, childeye. Your "argument" (dishonest attempt to shoehorn your theology where it isn't needed, rather) isn't new. It's been used countless times before. And you must think we're mentally incompetent if you believe we'll fall for it. Fuck you for thinking we're stupid enough to fall for your disingenuous lie of an argument.
Peace, Phaedrus. For the record I don't think you or any one else here is mentally incompetent. Nor does the Love inside me even consider such sentiments. I would be a boastful and prideful person to believe such things about you.

However, if I may be forthright, you do appear to be skeptical of my intentions. So here it is with all honesty. I don't think as atheists you have even heard the Gospel, for it is simply believing that Love exists as a Spiritual Truth in all men, and that its' presence or absence is the cause of all moral and immoral behavior. Moreover, I am saying that Love is a personable Spirit Who precedes our existence and is the cause and reason for Life.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
15-04-2013, 12:32 PM
(15-04-2013 11:59 AM)Phaedrus Wrote:  Childeye, words mean things. You can change the meaning of words, but don't expect others to agree with them.

You say the word god means "love". Ok, fine, then by your definition I feel "god" (because you're saying the word god means "love" and I feel love for some people and things).

You don't define the word "god" as "love". You define it as "love" + theological bullshit. The theological bullshit is what we object to.

Your entire argument is based on a deliberate equivocation fallacy and confusion of definition, and the whole of your defense so far has been what I would call "Word Salad".

You're not special, childeye. Your "argument" (dishonest attempt to shoehorn your theology where it isn't needed, rather) isn't new. It's been used countless times before. And you must think we're mentally incompetent if you believe we'll fall for it. Fuck you for thinking we're stupid enough to fall for your disingenuous lie of an argument.
Peace, Phaedrus. For the record I don't think you or any one else here is mentally incompetent. Nor does the Love inside me even consider such sentiments. I would be a boastful and prideful person to believe such things about you.

However, if I may be forthright, you do appear to be skeptical of my intentions. So here it is with all honesty. I don't think as atheists you have even heard the Gospel, for it is simply believing that Love exists as a Spiritual Truth in all men, and that its' presence or absence is the cause of all moral and immoral behavior. Moreover, I am saying that Love is a personable Spirit Who precedes our existence and is the cause and reason for Life.
15-04-2013, 12:39 PM
(15-04-2013 12:32 PM)childeye Wrote:  

Oh my Gwynnies! Dodgy

What fucking "gospel?" The "good news?" Haven't you heard? No news is good news. Dodgy

You gonna be preachin', the door is thata way. --->

[Image: klingon_zps7e68578a.jpg]
[+] 2 users Like houseofcantor's post
15-04-2013, 12:40 PM
(15-04-2013 11:47 AM)DLJ Wrote:  
(15-04-2013 11:44 AM)childeye Wrote:  ... I am calling God Love.

I call 'love' love.

Occam etc.

Tongue
That's fine to call love, love. It doen't mean it does not exist as God the moral impetus in mankind. Why the aversion to the term God being used to describe the Spirit of Love? Is it a predisposition to justify a distrust or a dislike for religion?
15-04-2013, 12:41 PM
(15-04-2013 12:40 PM)childeye Wrote:  
(15-04-2013 11:47 AM)DLJ Wrote:  I call 'love' love.

Occam etc.

Tongue
That's fine to call love, love. It doen't mean it does not exist as God the moral impetus in mankind. Why the aversion to the term God being used to describe the Spirit of Love? Is it a predisposition to justify a distrust or a dislike for religion?

Love is a chemical process in the brain. Not a spiritual experience, although some may describe the euphoric sense that way.

Evolve
[+] 1 user Likes TheBeardedDude's post
15-04-2013, 12:43 PM
Thank you for stating your position in relatively clear words. I need more info though.

Define "Love" in practical terms, as in what type of love you're talking about (without using theological words like god, spiritual, gospel, etc.). Love of a spouse? Love of a child? Love as a vague term for altruism?

Define "Spiritual Truth" and how it differs from the term "Absolute Morality", again without relying on theological terms

Define "Spirit"

AFTER doing that, explain why if "Love" is a "Spiritual Truth" in "all men" (and women I presume), there exist sociopaths who do NOT experience love or altruism, at least not in any way resembling that of a typical person.

E 2 = (mc 2)2 + (pc )2
614C → 714N + e + ̅νe
2 K(s) + 2 H2O(l) → 2 KOH(aq) + H2 (g) + 196 kJ/mol
It works, bitches.
15-04-2013, 12:46 PM
(15-04-2013 12:39 PM)houseofcantor Wrote:  
(15-04-2013 12:32 PM)childeye Wrote:  Peace, Phaedrus. For the record I don't think you or any one else here is mentally incompetent. Nor does the Love inside me even consider such sentiments. I would be a boastful and prideful person to believe such things about you.

Oh my Gwynnies! Dodgy

What fucking "gospel?" The "good news?" Haven't you heard? No news is good news. Dodgy

Sorry houseofcantor. I see no way of discussing what is without the possibility of it being considered preaching. In that sense, everyone here is preaching something. Can we at least agree that being hypocritical is for hypocrits? For I would point out that that which is hypocrisy cannot be counted as viable in human reasoning.
15-04-2013, 12:50 PM
(15-04-2013 12:46 PM)childeye Wrote:  
(15-04-2013 12:39 PM)houseofcantor Wrote:  Oh my Gwynnies! Dodgy

Sorry houseofcantor. I see no way of discussing what is without the possibility of it being considered preaching. In that sense, everyone here is preaching something. Can we at least agree that being hypocritical is for hypocrits? For I would point out that that which is hypocrisy cannot be counted as viable in human reasoning.

Preaching implies that there is no attempt at discussion and only an attempt to promote your own views.

Are you here to discuss, and therefore are willing to admit you may be wrong? Or do you believe you can only be right and that you must tell us the "truth?"

Evolve
15-04-2013, 12:50 PM
(15-04-2013 12:46 PM)childeye Wrote:  I see no way of discussing what is without the possibility of it being considered preaching.

http://www.thethinkingatheist.com/forum/...k-a-Theist

[Image: dog-shaking.gif]
15-04-2013, 12:51 PM
No, childeye. Assuming atheists haven't read and understood the NT is what is offensive. And don't tell me your interpretation is authoritative. Because it ain't.

[Image: klingon_zps7e68578a.jpg]
[+] 2 users Like houseofcantor's post