the God term

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
19-04-2013, 09:49 AM
RE: the God term
(19-04-2013 09:33 AM)childeye Wrote:  
(18-04-2013 11:13 PM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  Listen idiot. If you're gonna play games, then fuck off.
An "annointed one" in Hebrew culture was just that.
If you, just like all you Christians are going to lie about what it means, and cook up your own definition, feel free.
The Ancient Near East is my field. So don't try to pull any shit here. I don't need Wiki for your common definitions.
http://www.ancient-hebrew.org/emagazine/011.html

A lot of people (and things) were annointed. Originally only the priests and temple junk were annointed to "set it apart" as a "holy". Later prophets and kings were also annointed. Many cultures used it also for healing and ridding the sick of their demons, or the preparation of dead bodies for an after-life. They got it from the surrounding cultures. Babylon annointed people, as did the Egyptians.
So, Childish, it depends on the context, and culture, and time period you're talking about. Even James, (Jebus' supposed brother), used it for healing. However Saul of Tarsus said Jebus' was the "Annointed One", clearly indicating that to him, Jebus had been "exalted" to his office/station, as THE messiah. Many Christian still do it. The Catholics actually have a "Chrism Mass" on Maundy Thursday morning for the blessing of new oils for annointings at baptisms and ordinations, episcopal consecrations, and their Sacrament of the Sick for the next year. So what were you going to say was YOURn definition of "annointing" ? I think the Anglicans do something similar. It has many meanings/uses now.
http://www.thethinkingatheist.com/forum/...other-look
Respectfully Sir, you do know some things about ointments and what they do, I'll give you that. While you have given some examples of what it might do metaphorically speaking, you are really just throwing out ephods and don't know what a Christ is. Hence you have no right to talk about Christianity with any credibility.

Again, I will respectfully request that you cease with the bullshit and say what you're going to say. If god is god, and a christ is a christ (whatever that is), then you obviously have a magic pill that will turn all of the atheists in the world into believers.

I haven't been on this forum for very long and I've seen waaay too much of this "which hand is it in?" bullshit by theists.

If you haven't noticed, no one here likes to play stupid games when it comes to discussing religion/belief/spirituality.

You could at least give us the curtesy of getting to the goddamn point.

But now I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.

~ Umberto Eco
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
19-04-2013, 09:50 AM
(19-04-2013 01:12 AM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  
(19-04-2013 12:57 AM)Cardinal Smurf Wrote:  Pixie dust? Think of a wonderful thought?

Yeah, well they dance their way around that one. All of Matthew 1 is establishing the lineage through Joseph. Then at the end, he says, Joseph was not the father. Quite the turn-about. Then the apologists say "well he was adopted", and it was through Mary etc etc. All of which is ridiculous, as Matthew would never have spent ALL of a chapter of his gospel doing the linneage that way, if he was trying to use it, THAT way.

Big Grin

[Image: 3d366d5c-72a0-4228-b835-f404c2970188_zps...1381867723]
[+] 2 users Like cheapthrillseaker's post
19-04-2013, 09:54 AM
(18-04-2013 11:14 PM)evenheathen Wrote:  Wait, before you told me to google about exodus, then had that thrown in your face.
To be precise it was never thrown in my face as you put it. as I recall, I offered proof which I hyperlinked. Remember? Then you produced a wiki info page that purported disputation of the paper as proof of exodus based on possible misinterpretation or possible mistranslation. Other translations of those who dispute the original vary. However, the more they divert from the original translation into the possibilities, the more unintelligible the meaning becomes of what is being said. Hence they are not bringing forth clarity which tends to show that those who dispute the original translation are unfounded in their skepticism. So despite the he said she said that was presented as a disclaimer by you, the paper remains for all to see and the paper says what it says.

[/quote]
19-04-2013, 09:55 AM
(18-04-2013 11:13 PM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  Listen idiot. If you're gonna play games, then fuck off.
If you, just like all you Christians are going to lie about what it means, and cook up your own definition, feel free.
The Ancient Near East is my field. So don't try to pull any shit here. I don't need Wiki for your common definitions.

A lot of people (and things) were annointed. Originally only the priests and temple junk were annointed to "set it apart" as a "holy". Later prophets and kings were also annointed. Many cultures used it also for healing and ridding the sick of their demons, or the preparation of dead bodies for an after-life. They got it from the surrounding cultures. Babylon annointed people, as did the Egyptians.
So, Childish, it depends on the context, and culture, and time period you're talking about. Even James, (Jebus' supposed brother), used it for healing. However Saul of Tarsus said Jebus' was the "Annointed One", clearly indicating that to him, Jebus had been "exalted" to his office/station, as THE messiah. Many Christian still do it. The Catholics actually have a "Chrism Mass" on Maundy Thursday morning for the blessing of new oils for annointings at baptisms and ordinations, episcopal consecrations, and their Sacrament of the Sick for the next year. So what were you going to say was YOURn definition of "annointing" ? I think the Anglicans do something similar. It has many meanings/uses now.
Respectfully Sir, you do know some things about ointments and what they do, I'll give you that. While you have given some examples of what it might do metaphorically speaking, you are really just throwing out ephods and don't know what a Christ is. Hence you have no right to talk about Christianity with any credibility.

Shoo fly

God is a concept by which we measure our pain -- John Lennon

[+] 1 user Likes Momsurroundedbyboys's post
19-04-2013, 10:06 AM

When and if YOU get in to Harvard Divinity School, as I am, then and only then you can say that. Until then say what you have to say, or shut the fuck up.

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein
Those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music - Friedrich Nietzsche
[+] 1 user Likes Bucky Ball's post
19-04-2013, 10:07 AM
(19-04-2013 09:50 AM)cheapthrillseaker Wrote:  
(19-04-2013 01:12 AM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  Yeah, well they dance their way around that one. All of Matthew 1 is establishing the lineage through Joseph. Then at the end, he says, Joseph was not the father. Quite the turn-about. Then the apologists say "well he was adopted", and it was through Mary etc etc. All of which is ridiculous, as Matthew would never have spent ALL of a chapter of his gospel doing the linneage that way, if he was trying to use it, THAT way.

Big Grin

That's brilliant.

[+] 1 user Likes Momsurroundedbyboys's post
19-04-2013, 10:07 AM
(19-04-2013 09:54 AM)childeye Wrote:  
(18-04-2013 11:14 PM)evenheathen Wrote:  Wait, before you told me to google about exodus, then had that thrown in your face.
To be precise it was never thrown in my face as you put it. as I recall, I offered proof which I hyperlinked. Remember? Then you produced a wiki info page that purported disputation of the paper as proof of exodus based on possible misinterpretation or possible mistranslation. Other translations of those who dispute the original vary. However, the more they divert from the original translation into the possibilities, the more unintelligible the meaning becomes of what is being said. Hence they are not bringing forth clarity which tends to show that those who dispute the original translation are unfounded in their skepticism. So despite the he said she said that was presented as a disclaimer by you, the paper remains for all to see and the paper says what it says.
[/quote]

Well to be fair, I simply did what you asked and googled it, then reported my findings. I seem to remember suggesting that you read a book about the subject. Why don't you get off your high horse for a minute and do so. It's not that hard, I did and I don't really enjoy reading all that much. You can google the pdf version and get it for free. Thumbsup

But now I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.

~ Umberto Eco
19-04-2013, 10:08 AM
(19-04-2013 10:06 AM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  
(19-04-2013 09:33 AM)childeye Wrote:  Respectfully Sir, you do know some things about ointments and what they do, I'll give you that. While you have given some examples of what it might do metaphorically speaking, you are really just throwing out ephods and don't know what a Christ is. Hence you have no right to talk about Christianity with any credibility.

When and if YOU get in to Harvard Divinity School, as I am, then and only then you can say that. Until then say what you have to say, or shut the fuck up.

Oh they'll just argue that it's not a real school....or some other such nonsense.

19-04-2013, 10:12 AM (This post was last modified: 19-04-2013 10:35 AM by Bucky Ball.)

BTW, you do not set the criteria by which others have the right to speak. Your god gave you no such right.
Neither did anyone else, Your Holiness.
You can claim nothing special. You are not special.
You are just a boring little uneducated gnat.
Sho fly.

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein
Those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music - Friedrich Nietzsche
[+] 1 user Likes Bucky Ball's post
19-04-2013, 10:13 AM
(19-04-2013 10:08 AM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  
(19-04-2013 10:06 AM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  When and if YOU get in to Harvard Divinity School, as I am, then and only then you can say that. Until then say what you have to say, or shut the fuck up.

Oh they'll just argue that it's not a real school....or some other such nonsense.

"School of the MIND man!! You won't know until you know, ya know?? It took me no time to get my diploma - all I had to do was accept I could spout as much shit as I want and I'd 'look' cool to strangers."
- me quoting someone else ...

[Image: 3d366d5c-72a0-4228-b835-f404c2970188_zps...1381867723]