the God term

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
19-04-2013, 10:21 AM
RE: the God term
(19-04-2013 10:13 AM)cheapthrillseaker Wrote:  
(19-04-2013 10:08 AM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  Oh they'll just argue that it's not a real school....or some other such nonsense.

"School of the MIND man!! You won't know until you know, ya know?? It took me no time to get my diploma - all I had to do was accept I could spout as much shit as I want and I'd 'look' cool to strangers."
- me quoting someone else ...

There is this HUGE disconnect with most christians that most atheists were actually believers. That we actually came to the conclusion after sometimes years of thoughtful introspection, coupled with hard looks at the evidence. We're also not angry with god, or jesus...we're angry with the organized religions that lied to us. That led us down that rabbit hole....

They would much rather believe that we became atheists because we hated the message or that we wanted to get back at our parents. The truth is that we looked carefully at the message and the messenger and we dismissed them.

God is a concept by which we measure our pain -- John Lennon

Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
19-04-2013, 10:32 AM
19-04-2013, 10:48 AM
(18-04-2013 11:24 PM)Revenant77x Wrote:  
(18-04-2013 10:45 PM)childeye Wrote:  Okay revenant 77. You think you know all about Christianity. Do you even know what a Christ\Messiah is?

I don't claim to be an expert on all of a religion that has been around for over 1700 years. I am particularly ignorant of Catholic Practices pre-1500's but one of these days I will try to cure that ignorance.

Now to answer your question what is a Christ? In the coptic greek Christos translates to Anointed and was first used in relation to the religion that would eventually coalesce into christianity by a Saul/Paul of Tarsus. The religion Paul was promoting was much closer to the Coptic greek mystery cults of the time with a splash of Judaism. Paul's Christo's was what would later become the basis for the Holy Spirit. Paul is an interesting figure and the basis for much of the bible, over 20% of the new testament is based on his supposed writings. What we know of the Paul is little more than we know of the historical Jesus (Yeshua ben Joseph is a likely candidate) Paul may or may not have been a Pharosis, a Roman agent or possibly even the pen name of a famous historian Josephus writing pro-roman propaganda under his name. There is a fantastic thread on the historical Paul on this forum.

Part 2 what is a Messiah? The Hebrew word מָשִׁיחַ translated into greek and then much much later into english means much the same as the word Christos Anointed. This word was used in the hebrew bible for many things and people. The Greek Septuagint version of the Old Testament renders all thirty-nine instances of the Hebrew word for "anointed" (Mašíaḥ) as Χριστός (Khristós). The New Testament records the Greek transliteration Μεσσίας, Messias twice in John. It can also be used to identify rulers such as Cyrus, king of Persia a non-jew. So it does not necessarily have a religious meaning.

In the context of the 1st and 2nd century bce the term began to take on a military tone meaning one who would rise up to overthrow Rome and fulfill the prophesies of a worldwide Jewish lead state. There were I believe 100 of these prophesies (Bucky and Mark if you can correct me on this I would appreciate as it is too late to be doing heavy research) and so far the consensus among the Jews is that none of them have been fulfilled. Simon Bar Kokba got perhaps the furthest of all the Messianic figures wandering around palestine in the 1st century ce but even he was laid low by the Pagan armies of Rome.

Well thats the dime store version. For more information please visit your local library.
Thank you for this attempt. It is true Messiah means annointed. But I am asking what a Christ is? What is an annointed? What is a Messiah? Everyone here thinks they know so much about Christianity. I think they know plenty about false christianity. Hence when they find it it's false, they blame God Who they see as religion. Consequently Phaedrus unintentionally taught me about what I beleive he called an equivocation fallacy, wherein the atheist conflates religion with God and then reasons errantly based on this fallacy.

So, thank you for a good and honest attempt, but you clearly do not know what a Christ is.
19-04-2013, 10:50 AM

19-04-2013, 10:52 AM
Egor???

That you?? Shocking

But now I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.

~ Umberto Eco
19-04-2013, 10:55 AM
Christ is just a translation of the hedrew word 'messiah'.
A messiah is someone who comes along and saves the day for a group of people.

You can say it's something else but that doesn't make it right.
I can say this apple is an orange all day, doesn't make it an orange...

And the meaning of the word messiah is no way shape or form proof of the existence of god.

[Image: 3cdac7eec8f6b059070d9df56f50a7ae.jpg]
Now with 40% more awesome.
[+] 1 user Likes earmuffs's post
19-04-2013, 10:55 AM
Your definition of what a "christ" is is not necessarily THE definition. YOU do not define Reality. You are not the pope. Just another deluded theist who claims he has THE whole, and final truth. You people are a dime a dozen. How boring.

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein
Those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music - Friedrich Nietzsche
[+] 1 user Likes Bucky Ball's post
19-04-2013, 10:57 AM
(19-04-2013 10:52 AM)evenheathen Wrote:  Egor???

That you?? Shocking

no kidding...I was beginning to think the same thing..."Your 'version' of christ doesn't line up exactly with my version so your just wrong."

What I hate and I do truly hate this...is the false idea that just because we rejected their beliefs that somehow we were NEVER really believers to begin with.

I think its the most arrogant thing they can do. That they can dismiss the years we spent possibly sitting right beside them and say..."well you never believed"

I guess in the end it's how they sleep at night. The whole passive/aggressive attitude. Because to them if we were "really" believers and we don't...

It could happen to them.

19-04-2013, 10:57 AM
(19-04-2013 10:48 AM)childeye Wrote:  but you clearly do not know what a Christ is.

Nor obviously do you. You have not even tried to say what that is.

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein
Those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music - Friedrich Nietzsche
[+] 2 users Like Bucky Ball's post
19-04-2013, 11:01 AM
(19-04-2013 10:57 AM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  
(19-04-2013 10:52 AM)evenheathen Wrote:  Egor???

That you?? Shocking

no kidding...I was beginning to think the same thing..."Your 'version' of christ doesn't line up exactly with my version so your just wrong."

What I hate and I do truly hate this...is the false idea that just because we rejected their beliefs that somehow we were NEVER really believers to begin with.

I think its the most arrogant thing they can do. That they can dismiss the years we spent possibly sitting right beside them and say..."well you never believed"

I guess in the end it's how they sleep at night. The whole passive/aggressive attitude. Because to them if we were "really" believers and we don't...

It could happen to them.

No true scotsman would be such a prick as this poindexter...

But now I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.

~ Umberto Eco