the God term

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
19-04-2013, 11:04 AM
RE: the God term
(19-04-2013 11:01 AM)evenheathen Wrote:  
(19-04-2013 10:57 AM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  no kidding...I was beginning to think the same thing..."Your 'version' of christ doesn't line up exactly with my version so your just wrong."

What I hate and I do truly hate this...is the false idea that just because we rejected their beliefs that somehow we were NEVER really believers to begin with.

I think its the most arrogant thing they can do. That they can dismiss the years we spent possibly sitting right beside them and say..."well you never believed"

I guess in the end it's how they sleep at night. The whole passive/aggressive attitude. Because to them if we were "really" believers and we don't...

It could happen to them.

No true scotsman would be such a prick as this poindexter...

Their ilk is a dime a dozen....

God is a concept by which we measure our pain -- John Lennon

Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Momsurroundedbyboys's post
19-04-2013, 11:11 AM
(19-04-2013 11:01 AM)evenheathen Wrote:  
(19-04-2013 10:57 AM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  no kidding...I was beginning to think the same thing..."Your 'version' of christ doesn't line up exactly with my version so your just wrong."

What I hate and I do truly hate this...is the false idea that just because we rejected their beliefs that somehow we were NEVER really believers to begin with.

I think its the most arrogant thing they can do. That they can dismiss the years we spent possibly sitting right beside them and say..."well you never believed"

I guess in the end it's how they sleep at night. The whole passive/aggressive attitude. Because to them if we were "really" believers and we don't...

It could happen to them.

No true scotsman would be such a prick as this poindexter...

I kind of want to know how he is going to define his christ just for shitz n giggles. At least this troll is somewhat entertaining.

(31-07-2014 04:37 PM)Luminon Wrote:  America is full of guns, but they're useless, because nobody has the courage to shoot an IRS agent in self-defense
19-04-2013, 11:15 AM
(19-04-2013 11:11 AM)Revenant77x Wrote:  
(19-04-2013 11:01 AM)evenheathen Wrote:  No true scotsman would be such a prick as this poindexter...

I kind of want to know how he is going to define his christ just for shitz n giggles. At least this troll is somewhat entertaining.

He's had me going for long enough now that I'd better get some resolution. My time ain't cheap.

(I kid, I really have nothing better to do.)

edit: (turns out I do, gotta go to the park with my little heathen, see you all after a bit)

But now I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.

~ Umberto Eco
19-04-2013, 11:16 AM
(19-04-2013 11:11 AM)Revenant77x Wrote:  
(19-04-2013 11:01 AM)evenheathen Wrote:  No true scotsman would be such a prick as this poindexter...

He won't. He'll just sleep fitfully in the misguided "belief" we don't.

And then he'll shoo, like the fly he is.

Because the whole "you were never a believer" was his only ace in the hole.

19-04-2013, 11:23 AM
(19-04-2013 11:16 AM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  
(19-04-2013 11:11 AM)Revenant77x Wrote:  I kind of want to know how he is going to define his christ just for shitz n giggles. At least this troll is somewhat entertaining.

But never forget. He *LOVES* you. Dodgy

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein
Those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music - Friedrich Nietzsche
19-04-2013, 11:29 AM
(19-04-2013 11:23 AM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  
(19-04-2013 11:16 AM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  He won't. He'll just sleep fitfully in the misguided "belief" we don't.

But never forget. He *LOVES* you. Dodgy

Ya I know. Made me all warm and fuzzy in my taint. Rolleyes

[+] 1 user Likes Momsurroundedbyboys's post
19-04-2013, 11:33 AM
(19-04-2013 01:15 AM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  
(15-04-2013 10:34 AM)childeye Wrote:  I consider the term God as a moral absolute. For example it would be synonymous to a moral Truth founded on the spiritual existence of Love or empathy. My reasons for not believing in religion are because I view religion as mankinds varying images of god but not necessarily thee God. But as a moral absolute, I therefore must believe everyone has some image of god.

No they don't. There are no moral absolutes. Morality does not come from the gods. If someone were trying to kill you, or you were a soldier, you would kill, and be required to kill. There is no instance of a moral "absolute", nor can you provide one.
No moral absolutes? Oh yes there is. You can't tell me that there is nothing wrong with torturing people and mean it. Your soldier in war is not an example of no moral absolute. It is an example of delusion and the product of deception. I don't think you know what the words relative or moral or absolute mean.
19-04-2013, 11:35 AM
(19-04-2013 11:33 AM)childeye Wrote:  
(19-04-2013 01:15 AM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  No they don't. There are no moral absolutes. Morality does not come from the gods. If someone were trying to kill you, or you were a soldier, you would kill, and be required to kill. There is no instance of a moral "absolute", nor can you provide one.
No moral absolutes? Oh yes there is. You can't tell me that there is nothing wrong with torturing people and mean it. Your soldier in war is not an example of no moral absolute. It is an example of delusion and the product of deception. I don't think you know what the words relative or moral or absolute mean.

He said nothing about torture. When you are put in a situation where it's kill or be killed, moral absolutes mean shit.

But now I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.

~ Umberto Eco
19-04-2013, 11:43 AM
(19-04-2013 11:35 AM)evenheathen Wrote:  
(19-04-2013 11:33 AM)childeye Wrote:  No moral absolutes? Oh yes there is. You can't tell me that there is nothing wrong with torturing people and mean it. Your soldier in war is not an example of no moral absolute. It is an example of delusion and the product of deception. I don't think you know what the words relative or moral or absolute mean.

He said nothing about torture. When you are put in a situation where it's kill or be killed, moral absolutes mean shit.

See what happened...they're now going backward through the thread finding stuff to bring up now....

Changing directions...

19-04-2013, 11:52 AM
(19-04-2013 11:16 AM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  
(19-04-2013 11:11 AM)Revenant77x Wrote:  I kind of want to know how he is going to define his christ just for shitz n giggles. At least this troll is somewhat entertaining.

You are probably correct here, considering he has already rejected every accepted definition of Christ and Messiah. So now its time to hijack this thread into a more interesting discussion.

I have a hypothesis on an over ridding theme through Human history that I would like to share and possible hear any counter arguments to.

Human societies only thrive and expand if they are willing to allow the influx of new ideas and peoples into them. Thus any society based on the notion of racial or intellectual superiority is doomed from the beginning as a failed cause. Drawing it back to the time period we have been discussing we have an excellent example in the 2 societies at conflict during the 2nd century bce through the end of the first century ce. Rome vs Judia, The Romans are histories greatest empire builders and keepers for the simple fact that they would assimilate the best of any conquered peoples and were always improving.

Judia on the other hand was a closed society any new ideas were scoffed at as gentile filth and unworthy of "God's chosen people" however a look at their history shows not a chosen people but a group so opposed to change and new ideas that had they not occupied a major point along the trade route no one would have ever even bothered with them. I find it ironic that the ancient Israelites and the KKK share almost exactly the same philosophy and both tend to poison the area's in which they hold sway.

Well thats my Hypothesis and I think it holds together well but please feel free to comment criticise.

(31-07-2014 04:37 PM)Luminon Wrote:  America is full of guns, but they're useless, because nobody has the courage to shoot an IRS agent in self-defense