the God term

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
19-04-2013, 05:07 PM
the God term
(19-04-2013 04:46 PM)cheapthrillseaker Wrote:  
(19-04-2013 04:11 PM)Cardinal Smurf Wrote:  This thread isn't fun any more. Needs more upside down dogs.

[Image: dog2.jpg]

[Image: UpsideDownDog.jpg]

[Image: archie-the-great-dane-upside-down-dog.jpg]

Ask and you shall receive...

KC must be 'away' looking for a new church...

Your offering makes a fine substitute. Offering accepted, I am appeased...for the moment.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Cardinal Smurf's post
19-04-2013, 05:10 PM
the God term
(19-04-2013 04:39 PM)Full Circle Wrote:  
(19-04-2013 08:25 AM)Cardinal Smurf Wrote:  Here's one of my favorites:

“To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.”
― Thomas Paine, The American Crisis

I like that one, its on my list. I'll see your Thomas Paine and raise you a Victor Stenger

"In any human activity other than religion, someone ignoring evidence would be regarded as a fool." - Victor Stenger

I like it! I'll have to remember that one. I can't think of any more off the top of my head. But, when next one crosses my path ill toss it your way. =D
[+] 1 user Likes Cardinal Smurf's post
19-04-2013, 05:25 PM
RE: the God term
(19-04-2013 05:02 PM)childeye Wrote:  
(19-04-2013 04:35 PM)evenheathen Wrote:  I am missing the point, because you are not making one. There's a definition of christianity, and there's a definition of god. Be clear, so I can quite (sic) asserting things not relevant to whatever the fuck it is you are trying to say.
Okay I can see why this would throw you. I came here saying God is the Eternal Spirit of Love right? Now I have said above that a True Christian does not define God. That would appear at face value as a contradiction. But it isn't. The reasom I said we don't define God is because a True Christian believe that the Christ is the One True Image of God sent by God. Hence God defines Himself through the Image He himselfsends. And the Image God sends is the Character of His Spirit which is the Eternal Spirit of Love.
Definition: God is the Eternal Spirit of Love. Definition: Christ is the One True Image of God sent by God Himself. Fact: All True Christians believe that only God can make a Man believe in His Christ. Definition: Christianity is believing in the Christ that God sent.

Wow, we're getting somewhere.Thumbsup

Believing in the christ that god sent.

Well now we have to debate whether or not jesus was
a: actually a person that existed.
b: if he existed, was who he claimed to be.

To accept that b is the correct choice, you are obligated to subscribe to scripture, which you obviously have issues with. Now this is a conundrum. That is unless you stick your head in the sand and refuse to acknowledge the obvious problems with a book written by man, which you don't.

Mental gymnastics.
Cognitive dissonance.
Just plain freaking logic.

Again, if you believe just because it helps you to sleep at night then that's okay. What exactly are you here to debate?

But now I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.

~ Umberto Eco
19-04-2013, 05:26 PM
(19-04-2013 04:34 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  
(19-04-2013 11:52 AM)Revenant77x Wrote:  You are probably correct here, considering he has already rejected every accepted definition of Christ and Messiah. So now its time to hijack this thread into a more interesting discussion.

I have a hypothesis on an over ridding theme through Human history that I would like to share and possible hear any counter arguments to.

Human societies only thrive and expand if they are willing to allow the influx of new ideas and peoples into them. Thus any society based on the notion of racial or intellectual superiority is doomed from the beginning as a failed cause. Drawing it back to the time period we have been discussing we have an excellent example in the 2 societies at conflict during the 2nd century bce through the end of the first century ce. Rome vs Judia, The Romans are histories greatest empire builders and keepers for the simple fact that they would assimilate the best of any conquered peoples and were always improving.

Judia on the other hand was a closed society any new ideas were scoffed at as gentile filth and unworthy of "God's chosen people" however a look at their history shows not a chosen people but a group so opposed to change and new ideas that had they not occupied a major point along the trade route no one would have ever even bothered with them. I find it ironic that the ancient Israelites and the KKK share almost exactly the same philosophy and both tend to poison the area's in which they hold sway.

Well thats my Hypothesis and I think it holds together well but please feel free to comment criticise.

Interesting..

The whole "chosen people" thing is odd, since they were nomadic, until they "settled" or squatted on a trade route (I seem to recall they squatted then faught for it or something).

The correlation between them and the kkk is something I find disturbingly ironic (if true) but I don't know enough about them to say one way or another.

Well the Jews believed in racial purity thats why it was such a big deal if a girl was a virgin. Before the inventions of blood tests that was the only way to know you were the babies daddy. All the laws governing interactions with people not of the "jewish race" sound an awful lot like the Jim Crow laws in the south don't they?

(31-07-2014 04:37 PM)Luminon Wrote:  America is full of guns, but they're useless, because nobody has the courage to shoot an IRS agent in self-defense
19-04-2013, 05:31 PM
(19-04-2013 05:26 PM)Revenant77x Wrote:  
(19-04-2013 04:34 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  Interesting..

The whole "chosen people" thing is odd, since they were nomadic, until they "settled" or squatted on a trade route (I seem to recall they squatted then faught for it or something).

The correlation between them and the kkk is something I find disturbingly ironic (if true) but I don't know enough about them to say one way or another.

Well the Jews believed in racial purity thats why it was such a big deal if a girl was a virgin. Before the inventions of blood tests that was the only way to know you were the babies daddy. All the laws governing interactions with people not of the "jewish race" sound an awful lot like the Jim Crow laws in the south don't they?

That's a very interesting comparison. The other comparison that immediately came to mind was the Aryan race Hitler wanted to create, a man of Jewish decent ironically.

“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man’s reasoning powers are not above the monkey’s.”~Mark Twain
“Ocean: A body of water occupying about two-thirds of a world made for man - who has no gills.”~ Ambrose Bierce
19-04-2013, 05:38 PM
(19-04-2013 05:31 PM)Full Circle Wrote:  
(19-04-2013 05:26 PM)Revenant77x Wrote:  Well the Jews believed in racial purity thats why it was such a big deal if a girl was a virgin. Before the inventions of blood tests that was the only way to know you were the babies daddy. All the laws governing interactions with people not of the "jewish race" sound an awful lot like the Jim Crow laws in the south don't they?

That's a very interesting comparison. The other comparison that immediately came to mind was the Aryan race Hitler wanted to create, a man of Jewish decent ironically.

Very much so, thus back to my original Hypothesis what does the Jewish nation of the BCE era, the Nazi era in germany, and the Jim Crow era in the south all have in common? They all were defeated by a force of diversity that completely overwhelmed them and they could not respond because they had a closed system that valued Purity over merit.

(31-07-2014 04:37 PM)Luminon Wrote:  America is full of guns, but they're useless, because nobody has the courage to shoot an IRS agent in self-defense
19-04-2013, 05:42 PM
(19-04-2013 05:25 PM)evenheathen Wrote:  What exactly are you here to debate?

He's here to "impart THE One True Truth", (which as usual .. ho hum), HE is solely in possession of.

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein
Those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music - Friedrich Nietzsche
19-04-2013, 05:44 PM
(19-04-2013 04:13 PM)childeye Wrote:  Respectfully, It seems you are now trying to claim that a christian who doesn't believe in what Christ said is no different than a Christian who does? That is dishonesty. It's like saying an atheist who believes in God is just the same as an atheist who doesn't.

I suggest you go to a Christian forum and ask them if know the real Christ.

Shoo fly

Buh bye

God is a concept by which we measure our pain -- John Lennon

19-04-2013, 05:46 PM
(19-04-2013 05:44 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  
(19-04-2013 04:13 PM)childeye Wrote:  Respectfully, It seems you are now trying to claim that a christian who doesn't believe in what Christ said is no different than a Christian who does? That is dishonesty. It's like saying an atheist who believes in God is just the same as an atheist who doesn't.

I suggest you go to a Christian forum and ask them if know the real Christ.

Shoo fly

Buh bye

As long as we keep giving him attention, he will stay here.

Guys, this is page 69. I like that number, let's keep this topic perpetually on this page! Big Grin

[Image: giphy.gif]
[+] 1 user Likes Tartarus Sauce's post
19-04-2013, 05:48 PM
(15-04-2013 11:00 AM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  
(15-04-2013 10:13 AM)childeye Wrote:  . So How does and Atheist define god?

I don't. I'm sure you have a lovely definition tho.

Shoo fly

Here is my answer from way back on page mother fucking two!

Page two!

Do I need to say page two again?

Shoo fly

God is a concept by which we measure our pain -- John Lennon