the God term

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
20-04-2013, 04:59 PM
RE: the God term
(15-04-2013 10:34 AM)childeye Wrote:  
(15-04-2013 10:24 AM)guitar_nut Wrote:  Atheists don't define god. Theists define their god (or at least try, in a very abstract way, to define it) and atheists decide whether the evidence supports the claims of the theist.

For example, you're a Christian. You probably have some basic ideas about your god and those ideas probably came from a version of the Bible:

1. Created the universe;
2. Loves you;
3. Rewards/punishes you for your actions in this life;
4. Sent his only son to die for you;

If you spoke to me about your god, I'd expect you to be able to prove beyond a reasonable doubt that the bible is indeed the inspired word of your god and is correct. I'd also need you to define your god. Finally, I'd need you to explain why the proof and evidence of other religions is not acceptable, but yours is.

Keep in mind that some atheists don't claim there is absolutely, 100%, no god. The door is always open if the evidence becomes available.

Ask yourself why you don't believe in Islam, Buddhism, Zeus, Scientology, Mormonism, etc. What evidence do they lack to convince you that theirs is the true way? That will get you closer to understanding the mind of an atheist.
I consider the term God as a moral absolute. For example it would be synonymous to a moral Truth founded on the spiritual existence of Love or empathy. My reasons for not believing in religion are because I view religion as mankinds varying images of god but not necessarily thee God. But as a moral absolute, I therefore must believe everyone has some image of god.

If god is a moral absolute then how is war justified? Or is killing a person in self defense ok?

If god Is a moral absolute then killing no matter the context is wrong.

Member of the Cult of Reason

The atheist is a man who destroys the imaginary things which afflict the human race, and so leads men back to nature, to experience and to reason.
-Baron d'Holbach-
Bitcion:1DNeQMswMdvx4xLPP6qNE7RkeTwXGC7Bzp
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
20-04-2013, 05:48 PM
Momsurrondedbyboys, did you and your husband both go to South City HS. I went to Capuchino. It was always imperative after a football game with South City that one get away from the crowds quickly as otherwise one could end up being punched, particularly if Cap won.

My children were born in Children's not from need but because at the time they offered a medical plan which my employer could make me a part of.

I do very much understand the costs of living in the Bay Area. My children and their partners live in Oakland because that is affordable. I would suggest if you do convince your husband to move back that you look into Oakland or Emeryville or other parts of the East Bay. Hell, South City is probably still somewhat affordable and you know the territory.

If I may I love this obviously off topic discussion. It is about life, not some strange human construct. Life is to be lived, a deity is not necessary and it interferes with life.
20-04-2013, 05:57 PM
I can not and will not readily join with those who delight in being known as fools. I could never embrace a world view which holds up ignorance, servility, and credulity as virtues.

There is no "I" in "team" but there is a broken and mixed up "me."
20-04-2013, 05:57 PM
(20-04-2013 05:48 PM)JAH Wrote:  Momsurrondedbyboys, did you and your husband both go to South City HS. I went to Capuchino. It was always imperative after a football game with South City that one get away from the crowds quickly as otherwise one could end up being punched, particularly if Cap won.

My children were born in Children's not from need but because at the time they offered a medical plan which my employer could make me a part of.

I do very much understand the costs of living in the Bay Area. My children and their partners live in Oakland because that is affordable. I would suggest if you do convince your husband to move back that you look into Oakland or Emeryville or other parts of the East Bay. Hell, South City is probably still somewhat affordable and you know the territory.

If I may I love this obviously off topic discussion. It is about life, not some strange human construct. Life is to be lived, a deity is not necessary and it interferes with life.

No, we went to the other high schoo, El Camino! We both had friends tho who went to Cap. Lol. South city has changed and mostly not in great ways. Yea we've talked about the east bay too...dunno. We're really peninsula people. We'd love to move back to San Mateo. But really dunno.

And yea, I'm enjoying this convo too!

God is a concept by which we measure our pain -- John Lennon

20-04-2013, 06:29 PM
Momsurrondedbyboys, I currently live in San Mateo not very far from where I was born (Mills Memorial) there are plenty of areas east of El Camino that are both safe and affordable, look into it. You will still be shocked by sticker price in comparison to Oregon. There is a condo building in Burlingame a short walk from my house that was 6 years ago selling units for $900K more or less. For the last few years there has been almost no obvious action at that place, I am sure many of the units are underwater. Not that I would suggest you should pay this amount for a condo this was meant as only a warning. I think that a decent 2 bedroom home might be available for something like $400K, it may be a fixer upper, in San Bruno, San Mateo or further down in San Carlos. Come home it is so interesting here and comfortable in comparison to most of this country.

The above is easy for me to say. I do like travel but through strange fortuitous circumstances I can both live here and travel. I do understand the bit about traffic. My current home is right on El Camino at the San Mateo/Burlingame border there is constant traffic noise from about 06:00 to 23:00, not pleasant. Neither is driving in it for that matter.
20-04-2013, 06:52 PM
(20-04-2013 06:29 PM)JAH Wrote:  Momsurrondedbyboys, I currently live in San Mateo not very far from where I was born (Mills Memorial) there are plenty of areas east of El Camino that are both safe and affordable, look into it. You will still be shocked by sticker price in comparison to Oregon. There is a condo building in Burlingame a short walk from my house that was 6 years ago selling units for $900K more or less. For the last few years there has been almost no obvious action at that place, I am sure many of the units are underwater. Not that I would suggest you should pay this amount for a condo this was meant as only a warning. I think that a decent 2 bedroom home might be available for something like $400K, it may be a fixer upper, in San Bruno, San Mateo or further down in San Carlos. Come home it is so interesting here and comfortable in comparison to most of this country.

The above is easy for me to say. I do like travel but through strange fortuitous circumstances I can both live here and travel. I do understand the bit about traffic. My current home is right on El Camino at the San Mateo/Burlingame border there is constant traffic noise from about 06:00 to 23:00, not pleasant. Neither is driving in it for that matter.

We lived for a while in San Mateo, my oldest son was born at Mills, before the turned into outpatient only! We lived closer to foster city then. I miss it.

There isn't an area of south city we'd really consider moving to. It's just not the place we grew up in. Sad we would consider going back to San Mateo, or even Millbrae. Dunno, tho. It would depend on husband getting a job...yanno how that goes.

Right now, our youngest is in middle school and my mil is in excellent health so it's doubtful anything will happen soon. We visit the area and old friends usually a couple times a year. We've even driven -- not really something we're keen to do unless we really must (at least we can go to BevMo and stock up on booze cheap).

Hopefully tho, we won't have to wait too much longer. Smile. I saw a foreclosed home in Burlingame for 120k....

I nearly just said lets buy it, rent it out and just keep it. Unfortunately I think it was a teaser...because when I called about they wanted cash, ss numbers and all kinds of crap..when I pressed for more info...that house wasn't available but they said they had others for an auction fee....blah blah...

If we were closer I'd totally be more keen to go that route, a friend of ours is a broker...we just aren't ready.

We will get back home. We don't belong up here!

God is a concept by which we measure our pain -- John Lennon

20-04-2013, 08:01 PM
(20-04-2013 04:48 PM)fstratzero Wrote:  
(15-04-2013 10:13 AM)childeye Wrote:  As a Christian, I often wonder what definition an atheist applies to the term god so as to not be able to believe in the existence of such. So How does and Atheist define god?

An atheist defines god by what theology tells us about him.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Attributes_...ristianity

There is no coherent definition. At all. That's why many of us are igtheists.
And for sure a god is not a human emotion, ("love"), no matter what Childish says.
I know. I know. I'll spare you the effort.
"It's the equivication falacy". Weeping

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein
Those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music - Friedrich Nietzsche
[+] 2 users Like Bucky Ball's post
20-04-2013, 08:42 PM
(20-04-2013 01:54 PM)childeye Wrote:  I observe and demand certain things from my children yet I exist. Respectfully, the word if makes this question a hypothetica scenariol. I believe God is active in the creation but vanity usurps what is His, hence there is iniquity.

Dude, do you even read what you write? I swear reading what you post is like going to a translation website, writing something in Japanese and having it spew out a horrific English translation! Sure they are words but they've been assembled into something without any coherent meaning.

I'd suggest you go take an English as a second language course but I remember you don't want to spend any time actually learning anything.

“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man’s reasoning powers are not above the monkey’s.”~Mark Twain
“Ocean: A body of water occupying about two-thirds of a world made for man - who has no gills.”~ Ambrose Bierce
[+] 1 user Likes Full Circle's post
20-04-2013, 08:45 PM
(20-04-2013 08:01 PM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  
(20-04-2013 04:48 PM)fstratzero Wrote:  An atheist defines god by what theology tells us about him.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Attributes_...ristianity

There is no coherent definition. At all. That's why many of us are igtheists.
And for sure a god is not a human emotion, ("love"), no matter what Childish says.

The "No True Equivication Falacy" Thumbsup

But now I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.

~ Umberto Eco
[+] 2 users Like evenheathen's post
20-04-2013, 09:40 PM
(20-04-2013 08:45 PM)evenheathen Wrote:  
(20-04-2013 08:01 PM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  There is no coherent definition. At all. That's why many of us are igtheists.

The "No True Equivication Falacy" Thumbsup

I think it's also the argumentum par ignorantium ad populum petitio pincipi ad nauseam silentio et verbosium crapitorum anus, (as opposed to onus), probandi by affirming the circular continuum hoc ergo propter hoc due to the suppressed corelative and also the ecological fallacious etymological composition of division by a false dilemma by many question about the ludic single cause .... fallacy.
Tongue

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein
Those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music - Friedrich Nietzsche
[+] 3 users Like Bucky Ball's post