the God term

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
20-04-2013, 09:43 PM
RE: the God term
(20-04-2013 09:40 PM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  
(20-04-2013 08:45 PM)evenheathen Wrote:  The "No True Equivication Falacy" Thumbsup

I think it's also the argumentum par ignorantium ad populum petitio pincipi ad nauseam silentio et verbosium crapitorum anus, (as opposed to onus), probandi by affirming the circular continuum hoc ergo propter hoc due to the suppressed corelative and also the ecological fallacious etymological composition of division by a false dilemma by many question about the ludic single cause .... fallacy.
Tongue

You said it brother!Thumbsup

(31-07-2014 04:37 PM)Luminon Wrote:  America is full of guns, but they're useless, because nobody has the courage to shoot an IRS agent in self-defense
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
20-04-2013, 09:43 PM
(20-04-2013 01:54 PM)childeye Wrote:  
(20-04-2013 01:35 AM)JAH Wrote:  childeye, do you not ever wonder if you can define god as "love" cannot I define god as "hate" as often occurs in the OT. I suggest this because I have been aware for longer than you have lived that "god" is a human construct. If you allow yourself to define god does that not make it your construct.

Everyone has to make a construct of right and wrong. I don't see how that is avoidable. What we construct will determine our moral character. That does not preclude the existence of Love and moral Truth.

Quote:Not that love for ones fellows no matter what is a wrong way to believe. I would point out and meant to many pages ago that love for ones fellows is not often followed by humans. If it was so the incidence of poverty and suffering in the world would be sharply reduced. If there was a god with love directing human life this would not be the case.
But you have excluded vanity from your construct. If people stopped believing in Love as a moral imperative, then of course we would expect to see distrust, greed, envy, etc...

Quote:One must look at the results of "gods" actions. If they conflict with your construct of "god" might that imply that there is not such entity.
Yes it certainly would which is what I said above.

Quote:If "god" simply observes and demands certain things from its adherents what might that indicate about its existence.
I observe and demand certain things from my children yet I exist. Respectfully, the word if makes this question a hypothetica scenariol. I believe God is active in the creation but vanity usurps what is His, hence there is iniquity.

But now I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.

~ Umberto Eco
[+] 2 users Like evenheathen's post
20-04-2013, 09:45 PM
(20-04-2013 09:40 PM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  
(20-04-2013 08:45 PM)evenheathen Wrote:  The "No True Equivication Falacy" Thumbsup

I think it's also the argumentum par ignorantium ad populum petitio pincipi ad nauseam silentio et verbosium crapitorum anus, (as opposed to onus), probandi by affirming the circular continuum hoc ergo propter hoc due to the suppressed corelative and also the ecological fallacious etymological composition of division by a false dilemma by many question about the ludic single cause .... fallacy.
Tongue

This is awesome. Big Grin

But now I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.

~ Umberto Eco
20-04-2013, 10:15 PM
(20-04-2013 08:42 PM)Full Circle Wrote:  
(20-04-2013 01:54 PM)childeye Wrote:  I observe and demand certain things from my children yet I exist. Respectfully, the word if makes this question a hypothetica scenariol. I believe God is active in the creation but vanity usurps what is His, hence there is iniquity.

Dude, do you even read what you write? I swear reading what you post is like going to a translation website, writing something in Japanese and having it spew out a horrific English translation! Sure they are words but they've been assembled into something without any coherent meaning.

I'd suggest you go take an English as a second language course but I remember you don't want to spend any time actually learning anything.

That's why I asked if English was their first language. I guess the legitimate query was confused with snark. Personally I don't it is.

God is a concept by which we measure our pain -- John Lennon

21-04-2013, 02:37 AM
[Image: boobs-poke-bump-nLRIil.jpg]

[Image: 3cdac7eec8f6b059070d9df56f50a7ae.jpg]
Now with 40% more awesome.
21-04-2013, 05:45 AM
(20-04-2013 10:15 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  
(20-04-2013 08:42 PM)Full Circle Wrote:  Dude, do you even read what you write? I swear reading what you post is like going to a translation website, writing something in Japanese and having it spew out a horrific English translation! Sure they are words but they've been assembled into something without any coherent meaning.

I'd suggest you go take an English as a second language course but I remember you don't want to spend any time actually learning anything.

That's why I asked if English was their first language. I guess the legitimate query was confused with snark. Personally I don't it is.

English was not my first language but I've made it a point to master the unwieldy beast. I take much pride in being able to properly get an idea across, especially if its snark. Yes

“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man’s reasoning powers are not above the monkey’s.”~Mark Twain
“Ocean: A body of water occupying about two-thirds of a world made for man - who has no gills.”~ Ambrose Bierce
21-04-2013, 08:00 AM
(20-04-2013 06:42 AM)Full Circle Wrote:  
(20-04-2013 12:06 AM)evenheathen Wrote:  Answer honestly:

How old is the earth?
(19-04-2013 11:54 PM)childeye Wrote:  Don't know.

Notice here that thirdeyeblind doesn't say "Geologists have dated planet Earth to be approximately 4.6 billion years". The reason for this is that thirdeyeblind doesn't believe (he's a non-believer of sorts) anyone other than himself. He, along with his ilk, casually toss aside the work of thousands of our brightest minds over generations. This is why arguing with thirdeyeblind is a fool's quest, entertaining sometimes, but eventually fruitless.

When asked if he has persued an education he readily, almost triumphantly, declares "I haven't got the time". If there is one thing that baffles me is how proudly this prosyletizer displays his lack of education and basic understanding of not just accumulated scientific knowledge but also of his own dogma. "Look at me! Look at me!" he cries. "I am clueless but you must listen". It is like watching a car wreck in slow motion, you know it ends badly but you can't turn away.

The mind reels.

And so we entertain ourselves by seeing just how whacky his ideas are, like we have with those that have come before him. For me, he personifies every reason I ever had for de-converting.

Go ahead, thirdeyeblind, ye who has been annointed with the "Truth" over all others, tell me more of your delusions and half-baked ideas, your unsupported and anecdotal feel-good stories in your holier-than-thou yet humble messenger of God façade. I'm all...SQUIRREL!
Thank you Full circle. I'm glad you are entertained. I can't let go of this thread even because you all have been equally entertaining. I bow to the stupidity of your knowledge as you bow to the knowledge of my stupidity. A courteous post you have written here. I told you the honest truth that I didn't know how old the earth is and then you touted the brightests minds estimating it to be 4.6 billion years which means you don't know either. Next time just ask me to esttimate how old the earth is instead of asking me if I know how old it is.
21-04-2013, 08:10 AM
(20-04-2013 07:55 AM)morondog Wrote:  But he's a True Christian ™ ! I know this because he says so. Only True Christians ™ claim to be True Christians ™ so there's no possibility of error.
Respectfully Sir, I honestly don't see how a True Christian could claim to be a false christian and yet remain a True Christian. Nor do I see how a false christian can claim to be a true christian and not be false. If I may make an observation from what feeble brain God has blessed me with, the problem with atheism as I see it. There is no absolute in atheist recognition, so all that you say ends in hypocritical reasoning.
21-04-2013, 08:13 AM
(21-04-2013 08:10 AM)childeye Wrote:  
(20-04-2013 07:55 AM)morondog Wrote:  But he's a True Christian ™ ! I know this because he says so. Only True Christians ™ claim to be True Christians ™ so there's no possibility of error.
Respectfully Sir, I honestly don't see how a True Christian could claim to be a false christian and yet remain a True Christian. Nor do I see how a false christian can claim to be a true christian and not be false. If I may make an observation from what feeble brain God has blessed me with, the problem with atheism as I see it. There is no absolute in atheist recognition, so all that you say ends in hypocritical reasoning.

You don't seem to know the definition of 'hypocritical'. In fact, you seem to have a problem with word meanings generally.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Chas's post
21-04-2013, 08:35 AM
(20-04-2013 09:13 AM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  All these ancient paradigms he uses to explain the world he sees and experiences to himself. Devils, gods, sacrifices ... bla bla bla.
It's like trying to tell an Alchemist why he has no place any longer as a "professional".
I mean, at least we could catch up to the 19th Century.
Vanity of vanities, say the ancients we disdain. With upturned snout we strut about all worshipping our brains. And where a child knows there are constants to respect, the proud yet has to learn the source of his neglect.