Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
21-04-2013, 01:42 PM
RE: the God term
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
21-04-2013, 01:43 PM
(21-04-2013 01:35 PM)childeye Wrote:  I am not acquainted with the term ontological. Having googled the definition I am unsure of all of it's implications. Therefore I would not be comfortable as affirming to it.

[translation]

My English to whatever dictionary doesn't help me with this. Google was useless. As a True Christian, even if what you say is right, I am simply too dim to understand it, therefore by default you are wrong.

[/translation]

God is a concept by which we measure our pain -- John Lennon

21-04-2013, 01:44 PM (This post was last modified: 21-04-2013 04:03 PM by Bucky Ball.)

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein
Those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music - Friedrich Nietzsche
21-04-2013, 01:46 PM
(21-04-2013 12:29 PM)childeye Wrote:  
(21-04-2013 10:23 AM)earmuffs Wrote:  Of course it's about the term God.
You say love = god.
I say you don't know love, according to god. So how can you say that love is = to god when that god is saying that you don't know love. Effectively, your god is saying you don't know what he is. Yet you are trying to preach to us what he is...
You see the situation here?
And what barriers? We are both restricted by the same barrier, if we both say something we must have proof to back it up. I have provided my proof, the bible verse, and as such I can make my conclusion because I have the evidence to back it up.
Where's your evidence to the contrary?
The problem Sir, is you have presented a negative for me to prove. The logic of your approach has brought you to where you are assuming that as long as I am here using the internet, I cannot know God since no God knowing man would have the resources to use the internet seeing that there are yet poor in the world. But since the existence of God is not proven by my not owning a computer your deductions would remain inconclusive accordingly. Suppose therefore that charities that help the poor do use computers to accomplish the work of an altruistic Love. Or suppose I use my computer to make funds, some of which I disperse to such charities. Does this not preclude your assertion that anyone who ows a house or even clothes fopr that matter does not know God. You are pondering an endless accusation to which the Christ responded by saying,"you will always have the poor".

But now I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.

~ Umberto Eco
21-04-2013, 01:46 PM
(21-04-2013 01:42 PM)childeye Wrote:  It is all there is in this world that is worthy to believe in. The Spirit of the Christ is the proof of Christ for me.

[Translation]

I'm made or rubber and you're made of glue, everything you say bounces off me and sticks to you.

[/translation]

[+] 1 user Likes Momsurroundedbyboys's post
21-04-2013, 01:50 PM
(21-04-2013 12:33 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  
(21-04-2013 12:22 PM)morondog Wrote:  So since *you* admit that others can be honestly mistaken, how can *you* be sure the *you* are a True Christian, and not Joe down the street who thinks True Christians should blow up True Muslims ?

Oh and your whole thing hangs on the True Love of a man who died for you.

How do you know that he did ?

He can't. He believes that he's a true Christian and everyone else isn't. Only he's qualified to define the terms. He's the only one able to set the definitions because he's a true Christian. How he interprets the word is correct, everyone else, since they aren't true Christians have it wrong.

Because only a true Christian is capable of understanding the complex nature of love and empathy. Everyone else is simply wrong, including those people who believe they are Christians but he knows they aren't true Christians because only he is a true Christian and understands the true nature of the christ.
I understand you are being sarcastic. Respectfully, my only concern is that someone else may think you are speaking the truth. Hence gossip soon turns to slander.
21-04-2013, 01:58 PM
(21-04-2013 01:50 PM)childeye Wrote:  
(21-04-2013 12:33 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  He can't. He believes that he's a true Christian and everyone else isn't. Only he's qualified to define the terms. He's the only one able to set the definitions because he's a true Christian. How he interprets the word is correct, everyone else, since they aren't true Christians have it wrong.

Because only a true Christian is capable of understanding the complex nature of love and empathy. Everyone else is simply wrong, including those people who believe they are Christians but he knows they aren't true Christians because only he is a true Christian and understands the true nature of the christ.
I understand you are being sarcastic. Respectfully, my only concern is that someone else may think you are speaking the truth. Hence gossip soon turns to slander.

I sense even you believe I encapsulated your argument well.

But just remember you love me.

Now shoo fly

21-04-2013, 01:59 PM
(20-04-2013 03:13 PM)childeye Wrote:  
(20-04-2013 05:36 AM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  When they're as ignorant and purposely obtuse as you, it's a crime.
Well, I'm sincerely sorry I perturb you that bad. You seem to want me to worship your brain or something. Respectfully, you're not smart enough to even know there has to be an absolute. We don't get to make up knowledge.

First of all the word should be "facts", not "knowledge" for that sentence to make any fucking sense.
Also the word "bad" should be "badly".

Secondly I believe in my heart, that you wouldn't know a fact if it bit you on the ass.

And finally it is a crime against Almighty God for you to bear false witness against BuckyBall, a far superior intellect, in my opinion, than what you have shown to posess Mr. SFB.

“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man’s reasoning powers are not above the monkey’s.”~Mark Twain
“Ocean: A body of water occupying about two-thirds of a world made for man - who has no gills.”~ Ambrose Bierce
21-04-2013, 02:00 PM
(21-04-2013 09:42 AM)Revenant77x Wrote:  
(21-04-2013 09:29 AM)evenheathen Wrote:  Strawman fallacy. (Hang on here folks, we'll get through all of them eventually)

A thinking person should recognize that surely, at the end of all understanding there will be absolutes. The problem is that we do not yet possess this understanding.

Your answer to this is to claim that since there must be absolutes, god must be at the core. But to believe this without question is to decide to stop thinking, end inquiry, and surrender to superstition.

I think it's nice that you simply call this unknown absolute love. In fact it tickles the taint quite nicely. But the fact that emotions such as love and empathy exist, they in no way, shape or form require anyone to accept that ancient superstition tells us where these emotions come from. Especially when these superstitions were obviously derived and built upon earlier superstitions that you clearly believe were false.

If we must choose a form of deity in which to believe, I would think that a quick look around the world would lead us to choose a deity more aligned with jealousy and malicious intent. Especially if we add hell into the equation.

You continue to say that you have provided proof of god, yet you have to agree that the only thing you have provided is proof that you believe that which you would like to believe, and nothing more.

I urge you to provide evidence that the existence of love and empathy is seen in god's creation in any recognizable form other than in the personalities of life forms that have evolved with a higher intelligence.

Has kiddypeeps hit all the logical fallacies yet? Frankly he bores me now. He brings nothing to the conversation except circular reasoning and a few good OOC quotes to laugh at. I will say his determined cognitive dissonance in the face of any fact or line of reason is impressive, yet utterly self-defeating.
If you have become bored, perhaps you could answer a question for me. If all morality is relative, to what in your thinking is it relative to?
21-04-2013, 02:01 PM
Quote:Have you ever pondered the term contentment? Please consider what is behind the mind of the man who trys to fix what is not broken.

I'm perfectly content to strive to reach a greater understanding of our existence. I see that you are not.

Quote:Empathy is a feeling that should be trusted, not questioned. To be clear, it is not my belief that we need the ancients to know where emotions come from only that we we recognize what is right and wrong with the purest clarity. To an ancient cannibal, eating his neighbor would be percieved as a good thing, but yet the neighbor wouldn't think so.

Exactly. Morality is subjective, meaning that there is no absolute morality. Thanks for pointing that out. Right and wrong in the purest clarity? According to what you've just said, what seems right to one may seem wrong to another. Unclear enough for you?

Quote:This makes no sense. You would not want such a deity in charge.

Exactly. My point being that if we are to examine the natural world, it is absurd to suggest that given the immense suffering in existence, that a god who is pure love is behind it all. Yeah, yeah. Who are we to question the mind of god. His plan is greater. Tell that to the millions of small children wasting away in abject poverty and starvation, who's entire existence will consist of suffering and disease, only to die in agony. Where is this empathetic god?

Quote:My belief is that Love will endure because this temporal world is in fact just a waiting room wherein we learn the value of what otherwise we would take for granted.

Again, tell that to a starving child.

But now I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.

~ Umberto Eco