the God term

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
15-04-2013, 02:06 PM
RE: the God term
(15-04-2013 01:59 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  
(15-04-2013 01:49 PM)childeye Wrote:  I respectfully would point out, that as a moral absolute, empathy is indeed a monotheistic existence. I agree with you about people who would presume superiority based on the writings of a book. Still I would forgive them, not based on my superiority, but because I know they are misguided even as I once was. At any rate those same kind of people you find unlikable, crucified the Christ out of the very same pride you describe.

So, there was no empathy before monotheism Drinking Beverage wow...

Oh no worries I forgive you for being misguided and claiming superiority based on a book.

We good now?

Shoo fly!
Well herein lies the problem. If God is empathy as I claim, empathy could not come before monotheism nor visa versa. You are presenting what I would call a false dichotomy.

I did not claim any superiority because of a book. I was simply stating that the book agreed with you.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
15-04-2013, 02:07 PM
(15-04-2013 02:03 PM)Revenant77x Wrote:  
(15-04-2013 02:02 PM)childeye Wrote:  I'm sorry if I have come across as someone trying to get a gotcha moment. I have sincerely tried to not appear as having such guile. I assure you, I see nothing to be gained by trying to put you down. While I acknowledge that such things do occur with some people, it would be unto my shame to be seen by God doing so.

Regarding what you say about a story told afterwards, there is some truth to that. In fact it would have had to be so for the crucifixion event to occur as it did. The Jews who put Jesus to death could not know what they were about to do, otherwise they would not have done it.

I notice you ignored my question. To difficult to deal with the reality rather than the happy fluffy story you heard in church?

Oh don't worry.

I'm being ignored too.

[Image: dog-shaking.gif]
[+] 1 user Likes kingschosen's post
15-04-2013, 02:10 PM
(15-04-2013 02:06 PM)childeye Wrote:  Well herein lies the problem. If God is empathy as I claim, empathy could not come before monotheism nor visa versa. You are presenting what I would call a false dichotomy.

I did not claim any superiority because of a book. I was simply stating that the book agreed with you.

Primates
Rats
Birds
Dogs
Whales
Dolphins

And many, many more.

But you get my point.

Back to what I said... by what you said, animals are theistic.

[Image: dog-shaking.gif]
15-04-2013, 02:11 PM
(15-04-2013 01:57 PM)TheBeardedDude Wrote:  
(15-04-2013 01:53 PM)Chas Wrote:  The existence of mosquitoes is sufficient evidence for the non-existence of a benevolent god. Drinking Beverage

Life needing to take life in order to live is enough to negate the existence of a malevolent god.

Typo?

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
15-04-2013, 02:11 PM
(15-04-2013 02:11 PM)Chas Wrote:  
(15-04-2013 01:57 PM)TheBeardedDude Wrote:  Life needing to take life in order to live is enough to negate the existence of a malevolent god.

Typo?

I tend to have those.

“Science is simply common sense at its best, that is, rigidly accurate in observation, and merciless to fallacy in logic.”
—Thomas Henry Huxley
15-04-2013, 02:12 PM
(15-04-2013 11:55 AM)DLJ Wrote:  
(15-04-2013 11:48 AM)kingschosen Wrote:  No. He's making fun of you and being sarcastic.

Undecided

Me? Moi? Really? No. Never.

Wink
Oh, I apologize. Sometimes it's hard to get what people are meaning on this forum.
15-04-2013, 02:16 PM
(15-04-2013 02:10 PM)kingschosen Wrote:  
(15-04-2013 02:06 PM)childeye Wrote:  Well herein lies the problem. If God is empathy as I claim, empathy could not come before monotheism nor visa versa. You are presenting what I would call a false dichotomy.

Primates
Rats
Birds
Dogs
Whales
Dolphins

And many, many more.

But you get my point.

I'm sorry, but I don't think I get your point. Are animals theistic? Well I suppose some are. I know my dog is. She seems to know when I'm hurting.
15-04-2013, 02:16 PM
(15-04-2013 02:16 PM)childeye Wrote:  
(15-04-2013 02:10 PM)kingschosen Wrote:  Primates
Rats
Birds
Dogs
Whales
Dolphins

And many, many more.

But you get my point.

I'm sorry, but I don't think I get your point. Are animals theistic? Well I suppose some are. I know my dog is. She seems to know when I'm hurting.

Weeping

[Image: giphy.gif]
[+] 4 users Like Tartarus Sauce's post
15-04-2013, 02:20 PM
(15-04-2013 01:52 PM)TheBeardedDude Wrote:  
(15-04-2013 01:49 PM)childeye Wrote:  I respectfully would point out, that as a moral absolute, empathy is indeed a monotheistic existence. I agree with you about people who would presume superiority based on the writings of a book. Still I would forgive them, not based on my superiority, but because I know they are misguided even as I once was. At any rate those same kind of people you find unlikable, crucified the Christ out of the very same pride you describe.

Altruism negates your assertion that empathy is connected to any type of human-centered god.
That depends on what you mean by human centered.
15-04-2013, 02:21 PM
(15-04-2013 02:02 PM)childeye Wrote:  Regarding what you say about a story told afterwards, there is some truth to that. In fact it would have had to be so for the crucifixion event to occur as it did. The Jews who put Jesus to death could not know what they were about to do, otherwise they would not have done it.
Oh dear, you're one of those, blame (but not too harshly) the Jewish people for killing a man named jesus. Wow...at least I know now where you stand...I don't care for antisemitism in any form, regardless of how politely its displayed.

Shoo fly

God is a concept by which we measure our pain -- John Lennon

[+] 1 user Likes Momsurroundedbyboys's post