the God term

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
21-04-2013, 03:48 PM
RE: the God term
(21-04-2013 03:42 PM)Revenant77x Wrote:  
(21-04-2013 03:33 PM)childeye Wrote:  I capitalize the G so as to denote the absolute and draw the distinction from false gods.

Yet you fail to draw such a distinction, mainly because there is no distinction between Zeus, Allah, Yahweh, The Flying Spaghetti Monster (hallowed be his meatballs), Vishnu, The Celestial Bureaucracy, Odin, Captain America, Kal-el aka Superman, and any other of the hundreds of thousands of other mythical fictitious characters.
I do draw a distinction. The reason you say I don't is because you are perfectly willing to recognize gods but do not recognize God.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
21-04-2013, 03:49 PM
(21-04-2013 03:45 PM)childeye Wrote:  
(21-04-2013 02:47 PM)Revenant77x Wrote:  Now to Me (and I would assume You as well since you seem to share the same culture as I do for the most part) none of those reasons would be sufficient for me to commit such an act but I could understand why the hypothetical Canibal would not see his act as immoral.
This is what I am getting at. You essentially are saying that you personally would not see eating someone elses child as immoral. My next question: Is it because it is unacceptable in our society that you feel this way?

You actually managed to draw the exact opposite conclusion from what I wrote. Or this is a typo and you meant to say that "You essentially are saying that you personally would see eating someone else's child as immoral." and if that is the case I already explained my bias earlier in that post. If it is the former please reread my earlier response.

(31-07-2014 04:37 PM)Luminon Wrote:  America is full of guns, but they're useless, because nobody has the courage to shoot an IRS agent in self-defense
21-04-2013, 03:52 PM
(21-04-2013 03:42 PM)Full Circle Wrote:  
(21-04-2013 03:31 PM)childeye Wrote:  I value knowledge too. I'm selective as to what is important to know that's all.

A man came out of the jungle into the village. And when the natives noticed him, he made the universal gesture of peace. "Ooga Booga", they cried. "Kill him because he is trying to woo us".

Quote:And you don't think knowledge regarding our home planet qualifies as important? You're serious aren't you? WeepingLaughat
The term is "snu snu" not Ooga Booga.

Two men were trapped on an island of savages. The chief gives them a choice. You may choose "snu snu" or you may choose death. The first man chooses snu snu.
Several large savages take him and rape him violently. Afterwards, the man is free to go. The second man decides he'll choose death.
The chief smiles and yells out "death by snu snu!"
Know thyself.

There is a lot that is worthwhile to know about our planet. But if people go nuts and destroy the planet it won't matter. So presently I am engaged in learning those things that make people go crazy.
21-04-2013, 03:53 PM
A little bit of music to help keep people's spirits up while this thread goes on and on and fucking on...

Big Grin

[Image: 3d366d5c-72a0-4228-b835-f404c2970188_zps...1381867723]
[+] 3 users Like cheapthrillseaker's post
21-04-2013, 03:57 PM
(21-04-2013 03:48 PM)childeye Wrote:  
(21-04-2013 03:42 PM)Revenant77x Wrote:  Yet you fail to draw such a distinction, mainly because there is no distinction between Zeus, Allah, Yahweh, The Flying Spaghetti Monster (hallowed be his meatballs), Vishnu, The Celestial Bureaucracy, Odin, Captain America, Kal-el aka Superman, and any other of the hundreds of thousands of other mythical fictitious characters.
I do draw a distinction. The reason you say I don't is because you are perfectly willing to recognize gods but do not recognize God.

What you don't recognize is your failure to define God. You've made some vain attempts at vague association with love and empathy. That's it. To me, it sounds like just another god. Since you are a True christian, you should be able to Truly define God in a manner that would give us a better understanding of what you mean. But you have not, so how can you expect us to recognize God?

But now I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.

~ Umberto Eco
21-04-2013, 03:57 PM
(21-04-2013 03:49 PM)Revenant77x Wrote:  
(21-04-2013 03:45 PM)childeye Wrote:  This is what I am getting at. You essentially are saying that you personally would not see eating someone elses child as immoral. My next question: Is it because it is unacceptable in our society that you feel this way?

You actually managed to draw the exact opposite conclusion from what I wrote. Or this is a typo and you meant to say that "You essentially are saying that you personally would see eating someone else's child as immoral." and if that is the case I already explained my bias earlier in that post. If it is the former please reread my earlier response.
Yes I misspoke. Still, I am asking if you feel eating a child is immoral because it is presently unacceptable by society?
21-04-2013, 03:59 PM
Thank you for that, thrillseaker. My energy was starting to drain, I just can't seem to peel myself away from this guy. And I wanna get to 100 pages, so that kinda keeps me going. Why? I have no fucking clue. Weeping

But now I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.

~ Umberto Eco
[+] 2 users Like evenheathen's post
21-04-2013, 04:00 PM
(21-04-2013 03:59 PM)evenheathen Wrote:  Thank you for that, thrillseaker. My energy was starting to drain, I just can't seem to peel myself away from this guy. And I wanna get to 100 pages, so that kinda keeps me going. Why? I have no fucking clue. Weeping
Because it's catchy? Big Grin

[Image: 3d366d5c-72a0-4228-b835-f404c2970188_zps...1381867723]
21-04-2013, 04:01 PM
(21-04-2013 03:52 PM)childeye Wrote:  
(21-04-2013 03:42 PM)Full Circle Wrote:  The term is "snu snu" not Ooga Booga.

Two men were trapped on an island of savages. The chief gives them a choice. You may choose "snu snu" or you may choose death. The first man chooses snu snu.
Several large savages take him and rape him violently. Afterwards, the man is free to go. The second man decides he'll choose death.
The chief smiles and yells out "death by snu snu!"
Know thyself.

There is a lot that is worthwhile to know about our planet. But if people go nuts and destroy the planet it won't matter. So presently I am engaged in learning those things that make people go crazy.

That's deep...don't know how the hell it applies to our discussion but, deep.

You might as well have said:
There is much to learn about human psychology, biology, evolution etc.
But if people go nuts and destroy the planet it won't matter. So presently I am not engaged in learning anything.

“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man’s reasoning powers are not above the monkey’s.”~Mark Twain
“Ocean: A body of water occupying about two-thirds of a world made for man - who has no gills.”~ Ambrose Bierce
21-04-2013, 04:02 PM
(21-04-2013 04:00 PM)cheapthrillseaker Wrote:  
(21-04-2013 03:59 PM)evenheathen Wrote:  Thank you for that, thrillseaker. My energy was starting to drain, I just can't seem to peel myself away from this guy. And I wanna get to 100 pages, so that kinda keeps me going. Why? I have no fucking clue. Weeping
Because it's catchy? Big Grin

The spanish flea? Or this ridiculous thread? Huh

~ Umberto Eco