the God term

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
21-04-2013, 04:02 PM
RE: the God term
(21-04-2013 03:57 PM)childeye Wrote:  
(21-04-2013 03:49 PM)Revenant77x Wrote:  You actually managed to draw the exact opposite conclusion from what I wrote. Or this is a typo and you meant to say that "You essentially are saying that you personally would see eating someone else's child as immoral." and if that is the case I already explained my bias earlier in that post. If it is the former please reread my earlier response.
Yes I misspoke. Still, I am asking if you feel eating a child is immoral because it is presently unacceptable by society?

It is most likely due to the culture and society I was raised in yes.

(31-07-2014 04:37 PM)Luminon Wrote:  America is full of guns, but they're useless, because nobody has the courage to shoot an IRS agent in self-defense
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
21-04-2013, 04:03 PM
(21-04-2013 03:57 PM)evenheathen Wrote:  
(21-04-2013 03:48 PM)childeye Wrote:  I do draw a distinction. The reason you say I don't is because you are perfectly willing to recognize gods but do not recognize God.

What you don't recognize is your failure to define God. You've made some vain attempts at vague association with love and empathy. That's it. To me, it sounds like just another god. Since you are a True christian, you should be able to Truly define God in a manner that would give us a better understanding of what you mean. But you have not, so how can you expect us to recognize God?
I havn't failed. God is Love as pertains to a moral absolute. That Spirit that is empathy. I am not being vague. How more descriptive can I be? You seem to be pretending you see nothing.
21-04-2013, 04:04 PM
(21-04-2013 04:01 PM)Full Circle Wrote:  
(21-04-2013 03:52 PM)childeye Wrote:  Know thyself.

There is a lot that is worthwhile to know about our planet. But if people go nuts and destroy the planet it won't matter. So presently I am engaged in learning those things that make people go crazy.

That's deep...don't know how the hell it applies to our discussion but, deep.

You might as well have said:
There is much to learn about human psychology, biology, evolution etc.
But if people go nuts and destroy the planet it won't matter. So presently I am not engaged in learning anything.

The shallow puddle is attempting to be deep again it is outside his capabilities.

(31-07-2014 04:37 PM)Luminon Wrote:  America is full of guns, but they're useless, because nobody has the courage to shoot an IRS agent in self-defense
[+] 1 user Likes Revenant77x's post
21-04-2013, 04:06 PM
(21-04-2013 04:03 PM)childeye Wrote:  
(21-04-2013 03:57 PM)evenheathen Wrote:  What you don't recognize is your failure to define God. You've made some vain attempts at vague association with love and empathy. That's it. To me, it sounds like just another god. Since you are a True christian, you should be able to Truly define God in a manner that would give us a better understanding of what you mean. But you have not, so how can you expect us to recognize God?
I havn't failed. God is Love as pertains to a moral absolute. That Spirit that is empathy. I am not being vague. How more descriptive can I be? You seem to be pretending you see nothing.

That's fucking it.

But now I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.

~ Umberto Eco
21-04-2013, 04:08 PM
(21-04-2013 04:02 PM)Revenant77x Wrote:  
(21-04-2013 03:57 PM)childeye Wrote:  Yes I misspoke. Still, I am asking if you feel eating a child is immoral because it is presently unacceptable by society?

It is most likely due to the culture and society I was raised in yes.
So there is no feeling of empathy that keeps you from eating someone elses child?
21-04-2013, 04:09 PM
(21-04-2013 03:48 PM)childeye Wrote:  I do draw a distinction. The reason you say I don't is because you are perfectly willing to recognize gods but do not recognize God.

Then you are atheist too. Welcome! The rest of have taken the final step and denounced ALL of 'em.

I think eventually you will too. Why else would you spend so much time trying convince us your own brand of snake oil is the real deal?

But until you do realize it and take that step you can...

...Shoo fly

God is a concept by which we measure our pain -- John Lennon

21-04-2013, 04:13 PM
(21-04-2013 04:08 PM)childeye Wrote:  
(21-04-2013 04:02 PM)Revenant77x Wrote:  It is most likely due to the culture and society I was raised in yes.
So there is no feeling of empathy that keeps you from eating someone elses child?

Again under what circumstances? And am I killing the child or has he died by another cause. That of course changes the discussion.

21-04-2013, 04:15 PM
(21-04-2013 04:04 PM)Revenant77x Wrote:  
(21-04-2013 04:01 PM)Full Circle Wrote:  That's deep...don't know how the hell it applies to our discussion but, deep.

You might as well have said:
There is much to learn about human psychology, biology, evolution etc.
But if people go nuts and destroy the planet it won't matter. So presently I am not engaged in learning anything.

The shallow puddle is attempting to be deep again it is outside his capabilities.
You draw the opposite conclusion. Perhaps we can save some of society by learning what is the source of self destruction.
21-04-2013, 04:19 PM
(21-04-2013 04:09 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  

Then you are atheist too. Welcome! The rest of have taken the final step and denounced ALL of 'em.

I think eventually you will too. Why else would you spend so much time trying convince us your own brand of snake oil is the real deal?

But until you do realize it and take that step you can...

...Shoo fly
I assure you, I am not an atheist. The inertia of your denial is proof of God and proof of vanity.
21-04-2013, 04:22 PM (This post was last modified: 21-04-2013 04:28 PM by Momsurroundedbyboys.)
(21-04-2013 04:08 PM)childeye Wrote:  
(21-04-2013 04:02 PM)Revenant77x Wrote:  It is most likely due to the culture and society I was raised in yes.

If you lived somewhere else and such practice was commonplace I'm sure you'd argue it was perfectly acceptable since that's all you know.

Look at the US and the slavery issue. In the minds of the slave owners it was perfectly acceptable to take the children of slaves from their parents and sell them -- because it was believed they didn't care about their children the way the slave owners cared for their own children. A point illustrated in Huckleberry Finn, when Huck realized the runaway slave Jim misses terribly his wife and children.

Fast forward a hundred years and it was the same mindset, which led to laws enacted that saw drinking fountains, restaurants, bathrooms, that had signs saying "whites only"

Even entertainers, like Nat King Cole wasn't allowed to use the front door of a hotel he was performing in. Hell, he had a tv show and the network according to his daughter made him use the "colored" entrance.

Your argument about cannibal eating children is supercilious.

Shoo fly

God is a concept by which we measure our pain -- John Lennon

[+] 2 users Like Momsurroundedbyboys's post