the God term

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
21-04-2013, 04:24 PM
RE: the God term
(21-04-2013 04:19 PM)childeye Wrote:  
(21-04-2013 04:09 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  Then you are atheist too. Welcome! The rest of have taken the final step and denounced ALL of 'em.

I think eventually you will too. Why else would you spend so much time trying convince us your own brand of snake oil is the real deal?

But until you do realize it and take that step you can...

...Shoo fly
I assure you, I am not an atheist. The inertia of your denial is proof of God and proof of vanity.

So you worship every god that's ever existed? How so very enlightened of you.

Shoo fly

God is a concept by which we measure our pain -- John Lennon

Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
21-04-2013, 04:25 PM
(21-04-2013 04:13 PM)Revenant77x Wrote:  
(21-04-2013 04:08 PM)childeye Wrote:  So there is no feeling of empathy that keeps you from eating someone elses child?

Again under what circumstances? And am I killing the child or has he died by another cause. That of course changes the discussion.
Yes you are changing the discussion and obscuring the point of the issue. To be clear, I want to know if you would sacrifice yourself to save others rather than sacrifice others to save yourself. I want to know if that sort of empathy resides in you. Or in other words if it became a law in society to turn in all believers in God for extermination, would you comply?
21-04-2013, 04:27 PM
(21-04-2013 04:15 PM)childeye Wrote:  
(21-04-2013 04:04 PM)Revenant77x Wrote:  The shallow puddle is attempting to be deep again it is outside his capabilities.
You draw the opposite conclusion. Perhaps we can save some of society by learning what is the source of self destruction.

Self delusion is a big one. Hobo

But now I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.

~ Umberto Eco
21-04-2013, 04:27 PM
(21-04-2013 04:24 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  
(21-04-2013 04:19 PM)childeye Wrote:  I assure you, I am not an atheist. The inertia of your denial is proof of God and proof of vanity.

So you worship every god that's ever existed? How so very enlightened of you.

Shoo fly
Madame that would be impossible. True worship is drawn by knowing the Person worshipped. What you are referring to as worship is merely butt kissing.
21-04-2013, 04:28 PM
(21-04-2013 04:27 PM)evenheathen Wrote:  
(21-04-2013 04:15 PM)childeye Wrote:  You draw the opposite conclusion. Perhaps we can save some of society by learning what is the source of self destruction.

Self delusion is a big one. Hobo
Amen.
21-04-2013, 04:31 PM
(21-04-2013 04:25 PM)childeye Wrote:  
(21-04-2013 04:13 PM)Revenant77x Wrote:  Again under what circumstances? And am I killing the child or has he died by another cause. That of course changes the discussion.
Yes you are changing the discussion and obscuring the point of the issue. To be clear, I want to know if you would sacrifice yourself to save others rather than sacrifice others to save yourself. I want to know if that sort of empathy resides in you. Or in other words if it became a law in society to turn in all believers in God for extermination, would you comply?

Now you are changing the discussion. You describe two very different situations yet expect an answer that would cover both equally. I'm not sure how many fallacies that covers but I'm sure there's more than one. Not very good at logic, are you? I've never taken a course in logics, but sometimes things are just, well, logical.

But now I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.

~ Umberto Eco
21-04-2013, 04:33 PM
(21-04-2013 04:27 PM)childeye Wrote:  
(21-04-2013 04:24 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  So you worship every god that's ever existed? How so very enlightened of you.

Shoo fly
Madame that would be impossible. True worship is drawn by knowing the Person worshipped. What you are referring to as worship is merely butt kissing.

All those people believe the same as you do. Just like you, it does amount to a lot of ass kissing. What's really funny tho...I giggle anytime you call me "Madame" because I just know I've rattled your jimmies.

Shoo fly

21-04-2013, 04:33 PM
(21-04-2013 04:27 PM)childeye Wrote:  
(21-04-2013 04:24 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  So you worship every god that's ever existed? How so very enlightened of you.

Shoo fly

Kissing Hank's Ass
This morning there was a knock at my door. When I answered the door I found a well groomed, nicely dressed couple. The man spoke first:

John: "Hi! I'm John, and this is Mary."

Mary: "Hi! We're here to invite you to come kiss Hank's ass with us."

Me: "Pardon me?! What are you talking about? Who's Hank, and why would I want to kiss His ass?"

John: "If you kiss Hank's ass, He'll give you a million dollars; and if you don't, He'll kick the shit out of you."

Me: "What? Is this some sort of bizarre mob shake-down?"

John: "Hank is a billionaire philanthropist. Hank built this town. Hank owns this town. He can do whatever He wants, and what He wants is to give you a million dollars, but He can't until you kiss His ass."

Me: "That doesn't make any sense. Why..."

Mary: "Who are you to question Hank's gift? Don't you want a million dollars? Isn't it worth a little kiss on the ass?"

Me: "Well maybe, if it's legit, but..."

John: "Then come kiss Hank's ass with us."

Me: "Do you kiss Hank's ass often?"

Mary: "Oh yes, all the time..."

Me: "And has He given you a million dollars?"

John: "Well no. You don't actually get the money until you leave town."

Me: "So why don't you just leave town now?"

Mary: "You can't leave until Hank tells you to, or you don't get the money, and He kicks the shit out of you."

Me: "Do you know anyone who kissed Hank's ass, left town, and got the million dollars?"

John: "My mother kissed Hank's ass for years. She left town last year, and I'm sure she got the money."

Me: "Haven't you talked to her since then?"

John: "Of course not, Hank doesn't allow it."

Me: "So what makes you think He'll actually give you the money if you've never talked to anyone who got the money?"

Mary: "Well, He gives you a little bit before you leave. Maybe you'll get a raise, maybe you'll win a small lotto, maybe you'll just find a twenty-dollar bill on the street."

Me: "What's that got to do with Hank?"

John: "Hank has certain 'connections.'"

Me: "I'm sorry, but this sounds like some sort of bizarre con game."

John: "But it's a million dollars, can you really take the chance? And remember, if you don't kiss Hank's ass He'll kick the shit out of you."

Me: "Maybe if I could see Hank, talk to Him, get the details straight from Him..."

Mary: "No one sees Hank, no one talks to Hank."

Me: "Then how do you kiss His ass?"

John: "Sometimes we just blow Him a kiss, and think of His ass. Other times we kiss Karl's ass, and he passes it on."

Me: "Who's Karl?"

Mary: "A friend of ours. He's the one who taught us all about kissing Hank's ass. All we had to do was take him out to dinner a few times."

Me: "And you just took his word for it when he said there was a Hank, that Hank wanted you to kiss His ass, and that Hank would reward you?"

John: "Oh no! Karl has a letter he got from Hank years ago explaining the whole thing. Here's a copy; see for yourself."

From the Desk of Karl
Kiss Hank's ass and He'll give you a million dollars when you leave town.
Use alcohol in moderation.
Kick the shit out of people who aren't like you.
Eat right.
Hank dictated this list Himself.
The moon is made of green cheese.
Everything Hank says is right.
Wash your hands after going to the bathroom.
Don't use alcohol.
Eat your wieners on buns, no condiments.
Kiss Hank's ass or He'll kick the shit out of you.
Me: "This appears to be written on Karl's letterhead."

Mary: "Hank didn't have any paper."

Me: "I have a hunch that if we checked we'd find this is Karl's handwriting."

John: "Of course, Hank dictated it."

Me: "I thought you said no one gets to see Hank?"

Mary: "Not now, but years ago He would talk to some people."

Me: "I thought you said He was a philanthropist. What sort of philanthropist kicks the shit out of people just because they're different?"

Mary: "It's what Hank wants, and Hank's always right."

Me: "How do you figure that?"

Mary: "Item 7 says 'Everything Hank says is right.' That's good enough for me!"

Me: "Maybe your friend Karl just made the whole thing up."

John: "No way! Item 5 says 'Hank dictated this list himself.' Besides, item 2 says 'Use alcohol in moderation,' Item 4 says 'Eat right,' and item 8 says 'Wash your hands after going to the bathroom.' Everyone knows those things are right, so the rest must be true, too."

Me: "But 9 says 'Don't use alcohol.' which doesn't quite go with item 2, and 6 says 'The moon is made of green cheese,' which is just plain wrong."

John: "There's no contradiction between 9 and 2, 9 just clarifies 2. As far as 6 goes, you've never been to the moon, so you can't say for sure."

Me: "Scientists have pretty firmly established that the moon is made of rock..."

Mary: "But they don't know if the rock came from the Earth, or from out of space, so it could just as easily be green cheese."

Me: "I'm not really an expert, but I think the theory that the Moon was somehow 'captured' by the Earth has been discounted*. Besides, not knowing where the rock came from doesn't make it cheese."

John: "Ha! You just admitted that scientists make mistakes, but we know Hank is always right!"

Me: "We do?"

Mary: "Of course we do, Item 7 says so."

Me: "You're saying Hank's always right because the list says so, the list is right because Hank dictated it, and we know that Hank dictated it because the list says so. That's circular logic, no different than saying 'Hank's right because He says He's right.'"

John: "Now you're getting it! It's so rewarding to see someone come around to Hank's way of thinking."

Me: "But...oh, never mind. What's the deal with wieners?"

Mary: She blushes.

John: "Wieners, in buns, no condiments. It's Hank's way. Anything else is wrong."

Me: "What if I don't have a bun?"

John: "No bun, no wiener. A wiener without a bun is wrong."

Me: "No relish? No Mustard?"

Mary: She looks positively stricken.

John: He's shouting. "There's no need for such language! Condiments of any kind are wrong!"

Me: "So a big pile of sauerkraut with some wieners chopped up in it would be out of the question?"

Mary: Sticks her fingers in her ears."I am not listening to this. La la la, la la, la la la."

John: "That's disgusting. Only some sort of evil deviant would eat that..."

Me: "It's good! I eat it all the time."

Mary: She faints.

John: He catches Mary. "Well, if I'd known you were one of those I wouldn't have wasted my time. When Hank kicks the shit out of you I'll be there, counting my money and laughing. I'll kiss Hank's ass for you, you bunless cut-wienered kraut-eater."

With this, John dragged Mary to their waiting car, and sped off.

~ Umberto Eco
[+] 3 users Like evenheathen's post
21-04-2013, 04:37 PM
(21-04-2013 04:31 PM)evenheathen Wrote:  
(21-04-2013 04:25 PM)childeye Wrote:  Yes you are changing the discussion and obscuring the point of the issue. To be clear, I want to know if you would sacrifice yourself to save others rather than sacrifice others to save yourself. I want to know if that sort of empathy resides in you. Or in other words if it became a law in society to turn in all believers in God for extermination, would you comply?

Now you are changing the discussion. You describe two very different situations yet expect an answer that would cover both equally. I'm not sure how many fallacies that covers but I'm sure there's more than one. Not very good at logic, are you? I've never taken a course in logics, but sometimes things are just, well, logical.

I lost count of how many...I think they've hit them all. But I'm not going back through 94 pages of doofus' horseshit to be sure.

21-04-2013, 04:40 PM
(21-04-2013 04:22 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  
(21-04-2013 04:08 PM)childeye Wrote:  So there is no feeling of empathy that keeps you from eating someone elses child?

If you lived somewhere else and such practice was commonplace I'm sure you'd argue it was perfectly acceptable since that's all you know.

Look at the US and the slavery issue. In the minds of the slave owners it was perfectly acceptable to take the children of slaves from their parents and sell them -- because it was believed they didn't care about their children the way the slave owners cared for their own children. A point illustrated in Huckleberry Finn, when Huck realized the runaway slave Jim misses terribly his wife and children.

Fast forward a hundred years and it was the same mindset, which led to laws enacted that saw drinking fountains, restaurants, bathrooms, that had signs saying "whites only"

Even entertainers, like Nat King Cole wasn't allowed to use the front door of a hotel he was performing in. Hell, he had a tv show and the network according to his daughter made him use the "colored" entrance.

Your argument about cannibal eating children is supercilious.

Shoo fly
Great post except for the supercilious remark. I agree however that you have provided a better example of empathy and lack thereof. So enough pretending you don't see what I mean by the war between good and evil in the world. You seem to be a bright individual. I don't see why you need resort to the base instinct of name caliling. If not, you are no different than those who lack empathy that you describe in your excellent commentary.