the God term

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
21-04-2013, 04:47 PM
RE: the God term
(21-04-2013 04:31 PM)evenheathen Wrote:  
(21-04-2013 04:25 PM)childeye Wrote:  Yes you are changing the discussion and obscuring the point of the issue. To be clear, I want to know if you would sacrifice yourself to save others rather than sacrifice others to save yourself. I want to know if that sort of empathy resides in you. Or in other words if it became a law in society to turn in all believers in God for extermination, would you comply?

Now you are changing the discussion. You describe two very different situations yet expect an answer that would cover both equally. I'm not sure how many fallacies that covers but I'm sure there's more than one. Not very good at logic, are you? I've never taken a course in logics, but sometimes things are just, well, logical.

Well now we can see where that was going, can't we? He thought he had a sure-fire way to make me say "oh yes, you were right in everything, Praise Jebus" and then realised that his line of questioning was leading the in exact opposite direction so he had to change course.

(31-07-2014 04:37 PM)Luminon Wrote:  America is full of guns, but they're useless, because nobody has the courage to shoot an IRS agent in self-defense
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
21-04-2013, 04:51 PM
(21-04-2013 04:40 PM)childeye Wrote:  
(21-04-2013 04:22 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  If you lived somewhere else and such practice was commonplace I'm sure you'd argue it was perfectly acceptable since that's all you know.

Look at the US and the slavery issue. In the minds of the slave owners it was perfectly acceptable to take the children of slaves from their parents and sell them -- because it was believed they didn't care about their children the way the slave owners cared for their own children. A point illustrated in Huckleberry Finn, when Huck realized the runaway slave Jim misses terribly his wife and children.

Fast forward a hundred years and it was the same mindset, which led to laws enacted that saw drinking fountains, restaurants, bathrooms, that had signs saying "whites only"

Even entertainers, like Nat King Cole wasn't allowed to use the front door of a hotel he was performing in. Hell, he had a tv show and the network according to his daughter made him use the "colored" entrance.

Your argument about cannibal eating children is supercilious.

Shoo fly
Great post except for the supercilious remark. I agree however that you have provided a better example of empathy and lack thereof. So enough pretending you don't see what I mean by the war between good and evil in the world. You seem to be a bright individual. I don't see why you need resort to the base instinct of name caliling. If not, you are no different than those who lack empathy that you describe in your excellent commentary.

Wow you are a supercilious fly. My whole missive wasn't just because of your inane reference to cannibalism and morality. It was an allegory of your whole reason for being here.

You believe in a moral truth, but that is subject to your own personal belief. Just like the idiots who believed based on the color of ones skin they were somehow superior or inferior.

Shoo fly

God is a concept by which we measure our pain -- John Lennon

[+] 1 user Likes Momsurroundedbyboys's post
21-04-2013, 04:51 PM
(21-04-2013 04:40 PM)childeye Wrote:  Great post except for the supercilious remark.

Dodgy Yeah arrogance is something that only afflicts other people...
[+] 2 users Like morondog's post
21-04-2013, 04:55 PM
(21-04-2013 04:33 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  
(21-04-2013 04:27 PM)childeye Wrote:  Madame that would be impossible. True worship is drawn by knowing the Person worshipped. What you are referring to as worship is merely butt kissing.

All those people believe the same as you do. Just like you, it does amount to a lot of ass kissing. What's really funny tho...I giggle anytime you call me "Madame" because I just know I've rattled your jimmies.

Shoo fly
Madame is a word I use as a formal courtesy. Respectfully, as I have corrected your misuse of the term worship as applicable to many and any unknown entities, you would not have the insight to say anything credible as to what I believe.
21-04-2013, 04:59 PM
(21-04-2013 04:55 PM)childeye Wrote:  
(21-04-2013 04:33 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  All those people believe the same as you do. Just like you, it does amount to a lot of ass kissing. What's really funny tho...I giggle anytime you call me "Madame" because I just know I've rattled your jimmies.

Shoo fly
Madame is a word I use as a formal courtesy. Respectfully, as I have corrected your misuse of the term worship as applicable to many and any unknown entities, you would not have the insight to say anything credible as to what I believe.

Yep jimmies are rustled...

Shoo fly

21-04-2013, 05:01 PM
Quote:
(21-04-2013 04:51 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  My whole missive wasn't just because of your inane reference to cannibalism and morality. It was an allegory of your whole reason for being here.

You believe in a moral truth, but that is subject to your own personal belief. Just like the idiots who believed based on the color of ones skin they were somehow superior or inferior.

Shoo fly
In the parlance of your own playground mentality, I believe the proper response is, "I know you are but what am I".
21-04-2013, 05:04 PM
(21-04-2013 04:31 PM)evenheathen Wrote:  
(21-04-2013 04:25 PM)childeye Wrote:  Yes you are changing the discussion and obscuring the point of the issue. To be clear, I want to know if you would sacrifice yourself to save others rather than sacrifice others to save yourself. I want to know if that sort of empathy resides in you. Or in other words if it became a law in society to turn in all believers in God for extermination, would you comply?

Now you are changing the discussion. You describe two very different situations yet expect an answer that would cover both equally. I'm not sure how many fallacies that covers but I'm sure there's more than one. Not very good at logic, are you? I've never taken a course in logics, but sometimes things are just, well, logical.
If you don't understand the question, just say so.
21-04-2013, 05:05 PM
(21-04-2013 09:56 AM)childeye Wrote:  
(20-04-2013 08:01 PM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  There is no coherent definition. At all. That's why many of us are igtheists.
And for sure a god is not a human emotion, ("love"), no matter what Childish says.
I know. I know. I'll spare you the effort.
"It's the equivication falacy". Weeping
I disagree. Morally speaking God is Love. This does not mean that I have described every facet of what the term God would entail, by any means. Moreover, you simply claim for sure that god is not a human emotion and with what evidence? If I may submit an indicator of what is true. That any moral reasoning that ends in hypocrisy has been based upon a lie, a deception, a delusion a dishonesty, and so on and so forth.

If god is love then why not call your self an atheist?

After all if it's not the god of theology and simply a substitution for another term then why not just call it that term?

Member of the Cult of Reason

The atheist is a man who destroys the imaginary things which afflict the human race, and so leads men back to nature, to experience and to reason.
-Baron d'Holbach-
Bitcion:1DNeQMswMdvx4xLPP6qNE7RkeTwXGC7Bzp
[+] 1 user Likes fstratzero's post
21-04-2013, 05:06 PM
(21-04-2013 05:01 PM)childeye Wrote:  
Quote:

Shoo fly
In the parlance of your own playground mentality, I believe the proper response is, "I know you are but what am I".

That made me smile for a moment. Then I got all sad inside because I know you didn't mean it.

Shoo fly

21-04-2013, 05:11 PM
Quote:
(21-04-2013 04:47 PM)Revenant77x Wrote:  Well now we can see where that was going, can't we?
Of course it's going there. I told you Love is the absolute. The moral imperative always goes there.

[quote] He thought he had a sure-fire way to make me say "oh yes, you were right in everything, Praise Jebus" and then realised that his line of questioning was leading the in exact opposite direction so he had to change course.
The question remains, would you trade your life to save someone else?