the God term

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
21-04-2013, 05:12 PM
RE: the God term
Quote:
(21-04-2013 04:47 PM)Revenant77x Wrote:  Well now we can see where that was going, can't we?
Of course it's going there. I told you Love is the absolute. The moral imperative always goes there.

[quote] He thought he had a sure-fire way to make me say "oh yes, you were right in everything, Praise Jebus" and then realised that his line of questioning was leading the in exact opposite direction so he had to change course.
The question remains, would you trade your life to save someone else?
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
21-04-2013, 05:13 PM
(21-04-2013 05:11 PM)childeye Wrote:  
Quote:
(21-04-2013 04:47 PM)Revenant77x Wrote:  Well now we can see where that was going, can't we?
Of course it's going there. I told you Love is the absolute. The moral imperative always goes there.

[quote] He thought he had a sure-fire way to make me say "oh yes, you were right in everything, Praise Jebus" and then realised that his line of questioning was leading the in exact opposite direction so he had to change course.

no the question was under what circumstance is that child being eaten?

(31-07-2014 04:37 PM)Luminon Wrote:  America is full of guns, but they're useless, because nobody has the courage to shoot an IRS agent in self-defense
[+] 1 user Likes Revenant77x's post
21-04-2013, 05:46 PM
(21-04-2013 05:04 PM)childeye Wrote:  
(21-04-2013 04:31 PM)evenheathen Wrote:  Now you are changing the discussion. You describe two very different situations yet expect an answer that would cover both equally. I'm not sure how many fallacies that covers but I'm sure there's more than one. Not very good at logic, are you? I've never taken a course in logics, but sometimes things are just, well, logical.
If you don't understand the question, just say so.

I don't understand your very poorly constructed question. It makes no logical sense to me therefore I am unable to give a logical answer to it.

But now I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.

~ Umberto Eco
21-04-2013, 05:53 PM
(21-04-2013 05:12 PM)childeye Wrote:  
Quote:

Absolutely depends on whose life and in what circumstances. Subjective. It does not reflect on my morality or empathy. If you would gladly give your life for someone else regardless of the circumstances, then I would call you a fool.

If a person would give their life for a heroin addict who is on the verge of death anyway, and is offering no positive effect for anyone else, and leave behind their family whose livelihood completely depends on them, I would say that they made an immoral choice. And then I would eat the baby.

But now I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.

~ Umberto Eco
[+] 1 user Likes evenheathen's post
21-04-2013, 06:01 PM
(21-04-2013 05:05 PM)fstratzero Wrote:  
(21-04-2013 09:56 AM)childeye Wrote:  I disagree. Morally speaking God is Love. This does not mean that I have described every facet of what the term God would entail, by any means. Moreover, you simply claim for sure that god is not a human emotion and with what evidence? If I may submit an indicator of what is true. That any moral reasoning that ends in hypocrisy has been based upon a lie, a deception, a delusion a dishonesty, and so on and so forth.

If god is love then why not call your self an atheist?

After all if it's not the god of theology and simply a substitution for another term then why not just call it that term?
It is what the term means to me as I experience life. That which rules at the moral center of my reasoning. So that when the atheist says to me there is nothing ruling at the center of your moral reasoning except you, there is a disconnect. For the mind must believe something to be true upon which to reason. What would make a person try to fix what was not broken? Why would people find fault in others?
21-04-2013, 06:04 PM
(21-04-2013 05:13 PM)Revenant77x Wrote:  
(21-04-2013 05:11 PM)childeye Wrote:  Of course it's going there. I told you Love is the absolute. The moral imperative always goes there.

no the question was under what circumstance is that child being eaten?
Okay. The child is being killed and eaten to satisfy hunger for the belly.
21-04-2013, 06:12 PM
(21-04-2013 06:04 PM)childeye Wrote:  
(21-04-2013 05:13 PM)Revenant77x Wrote:  no the question was under what circumstance is that child being eaten?

So we are in a Donner Party situation then. Lifeboat morality is different than normal morality (again all morality is subjective not absolute) In that case we can see that normal rules of morality are thrown out the window and only survival is important to the people involved. Ever seen the movie Alive?

Now if you're asking me if someone living in the Western world in a nonemergency situation could do something like that and have it be moral the answer is no because we have options.

As to your self sacrificing question It is not always moral to do so. The 9/11 terrorists considered themselves Martyrs who died for their people but they were by no means moral.

(31-07-2014 04:37 PM)Luminon Wrote:  America is full of guns, but they're useless, because nobody has the courage to shoot an IRS agent in self-defense
21-04-2013, 06:12 PM
(21-04-2013 05:53 PM)evenheathen Wrote:  
(21-04-2013 05:12 PM)childeye Wrote:  Of course it's going there. I told you Love is the absolute. The moral imperative always goes there.

Absolutely depends on whose life and in what circumstances. Subjective. It does not reflect on my morality or empathy. If you would gladly give your life for someone else regardless of the circumstances, then I would call you a fool.

If a person would give their life for a heroin addict who is on the verge of death anyway, and is offering no positive effect for anyone else, and leave behind their family whose livelihood completely depends on them, I would say that they made an immoral choice. And then I would eat the baby.
So you would kill a heroin addict and eat the corpse to survive?
21-04-2013, 06:17 PM
I do apologize for my rude comments of late, the powers that be have placed me on double secret probation.

So, I'm disengaging from further discourse.

God is a concept by which we measure our pain -- John Lennon

21-04-2013, 06:26 PM
(21-04-2013 06:12 PM)Revenant77x Wrote:  [quote='childeye' pid='295570' dateline='1366589078']

Quote:Now if you're asking me if someone living in the Western world in a nonemergency situation could do something like that and have it be moral the answer is no because we have options.
If you had no other source of food for your own survival, would you consider it morally okay to kill a child and eat it?