the best atheist literature

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
20-06-2013, 11:57 AM
Question the best atheist literature
Hello. I have been an atheist for more than six years. I would like to become more learned in atheism, specifically arguments for and against the existence of god. I want to read the best (and latest) essays on the problem of evil, such as from J.L. Mackie and Antony Flew. I want to read other works from them as well, regarding the arguments. I have a basic understanding of the arguments, but I want to go more in-depth. For example, I want to know if there is a response to "It is possible that a world exists where God and evil are compatible" and Plantinga's free will defense. I also want to read about how the brain could create consciousness without supernatural elements, because my brother often argues that is an atheistic assumption to think that the brain (material) leads to sentience, emotions, consciousness (immaterial) with no soul.

So what books? What essays?

So far, I plan on reading Mackie's "Evil and Omnipotence," Martins' "The Impossibility of God," Smith's "Atheism," Robert Price's "The Empty Tomb," and a couple others. I want to know the latest and best refutations of the classical arguments for theism.

Perhaps those with a philosophic background will be of great help, but anyone can recommend something.

By the way, do you personally think the problem of evil is valid and/or sound?
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
20-06-2013, 04:23 PM
RE: the best atheist literature
(20-06-2013 11:57 AM)BladeofNothingness Wrote:  Hello. I have been an atheist for more than six years. I would like to become more learned in atheism, specifically arguments for and against the existence of god. I want to read the best (and latest) essays on the problem of evil, such as from J.L. Mackie and Antony Flew. I want to read other works from them as well, regarding the arguments. I have a basic understanding of the arguments, but I want to go more in-depth. For example, I want to know if there is a response to "It is possible that a world exists where God and evil are compatible" and Plantinga's free will defense. I also want to read about how the brain could create consciousness without supernatural elements, because my brother often argues that is an atheistic assumption to think that the brain (material) leads to sentience, emotions, consciousness (immaterial) with no soul.

So what books? What essays?

So far, I plan on reading Mackie's "Evil and Omnipotence," Martins' "The Impossibility of God," Smith's "Atheism," Robert Price's "The Empty Tomb," and a couple others. I want to know the latest and best refutations of the classical arguments for theism.

Perhaps those with a philosophic background will be of great help, but anyone can recommend something.

By the way, do you personally think the problem of evil is valid and/or sound?

Letter to a Christian Nation, Sam Harris
The God Delusion, Richard Dawkins
God is Not Great, Christopher Hitchens
God: The Failed Hypothesis, Victor J. Stenger
Darwin's Dangerous Idea: Evolution and the Meanings of Life, Daniel C. Dennett
The God Virus, Darrell W. Ray

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 2 users Like Chas's post
20-06-2013, 04:28 PM (This post was last modified: 23-04-2014 10:56 PM by kim.)
I've just read Julia Sweeney and I think she's just wonderful.
For lighter reading on the atheist subject, you might check out her book Letting Go Of God.... in fact, you can listen to the entire thing on YouTube!!

I think in the end, I just feel like I'm a secular person who has a skeptical eye toward any extraordinary claim, carefully examining any extraordinary evidence before jumping to conclusions. ~ Eric ~ My friend ... who figured it out.
[+] 1 user Likes kim's post
20-06-2013, 04:35 PM (This post was last modified: 20-06-2013 05:04 PM by Full Circle.)
One of our forum members has put together a resource library that you can find here

http://www.thethinkingatheist.com/forum/...ce-Library

Happy hunting.

“I suppose our capacity for self-delusion is boundless."
― John Steinbeck, Travels with Charley: In Search of America
“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man's reasoning powers are not above the monkey's." - Mark Twain in Eruption
20-06-2013, 05:02 PM
Here's another interesting read that covers a wide range of sciences.

The Atheist's Guide To Reality by Alex Rosenberg.

This can be added to the resource library.

[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRcmPL4codsbtiJhpFav3r...-w_49ttW6a]