the bible

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
13-07-2016, 05:28 PM
RE: the bible
(13-07-2016 04:51 PM)TechnoMonkey Wrote:  I just noticed that I wasted time responding to a hit and run troll.

Gotta pay more attention.

It can't be a hit and run troll. The content is too simple.

.... and if that's the question OP thinks is profound enough to open with, then maybe they'll benefit from some intelligent discussion.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
13-07-2016, 05:32 PM
(13-07-2016 05:04 PM)natachan Wrote:  Star Trek predicted there would be flip communicators. People wanted those. They made flip phones. Does that mean that Gene Rodenberry was a prophet?

Wait? Are you saying he isn't? What about all the evidence!

[Image: 8f77640494745dafe15cf4d600452d38.jpg]

[Image: sagansig_zps6vhbql6m.jpg]
[+] 13 users Like SitaSky's post
13-07-2016, 05:58 PM
I predict the Kansas City Chiefs will win the next superbowl.
If they do, this proves that bigfoot exists.

If this doesn't make any sense to you, congrats, you're one step closer to a rational mind.

Insanity - doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results
[+] 5 users Like Rahn127's post
13-07-2016, 07:08 PM
(13-07-2016 12:47 PM)genericamerican22 Wrote:  why do people say there's no evidence for god when the bible said that iseral would become a nation again and it did? isn't that evidence?

No. It said the KINGDOM of Israel would rise again. The Bible said nothing about a democratic country, with no temple, and many non-Jews. The Bible said all sorts of shit. A lot of it never happened.

http://rationalwiki.org/wiki/Biblical_prophecies

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
[+] 1 user Likes Bucky Ball's post
13-07-2016, 07:33 PM
(13-07-2016 12:47 PM)genericamerican22 Wrote:  why do people say there's no evidence for god when the bible said that iseral would become a nation again and it did? isn't that evidence?

What do you mean by "Israel"?

Judea? Judea was not Israel. It in fact encompassed many provinces which then grew after the Romans conquered it. I think you refer to the kingdom of Judah.

The people you wish to thank are those who made up The league of nations following WWII.

Ultimately you should place the responsibility on Adolf Hitler, who made it all possible.

NOTE: Member, Tomasia uses this site to slander other individuals. He then later proclaims it a joke, but not in public.
I will call him a liar and a dog here and now.
Banjo.
13-07-2016, 08:04 PM (This post was last modified: 13-07-2016 08:13 PM by Bucky Ball.)
(13-07-2016 07:33 PM)Banjo Wrote:  

Judea? Judea was not Israel. It in fact encompassed many provinces which then grew after the Romans conquered it. I think you refer to the kingdom of Judah.

The people you wish to thank are those who made up The league of nations following WWII.

Ultimately you should place the responsibility on Adolf Hitler, who made it all possible.

Or maybe thank the Persian emperor Artaxerxes who permitted the return from (the Babylonian) exile, so that the re-established kingdom would serve as a buffer between his empire and the invading Greeks ... and along with them he sent the Torah of Moses (the Pentateuch, which they had cooked up/made up/invented in Babylon during the exile, ... the first time in history the beginnings of the Bible are ever mentioned), with Ezra and Nehemiah to rule IN HIS NAME, .... the Bible to serve as a legal and (fake) historical and legal foundational "national story" for the society that had been totally disrupted by the Exile. It's all about politics and social order ... it has nothing to do with religion and the gods. The Persian emperor knew the returning Jews needed something to organize their society around. The old families, on which the old society had been organized, were no longer the central organizing feature. They needed a new paradigm. They got it in the "scrolls" Artaxerxes told them to assemble to serve that purpose. The beginnings of the Old Testament.

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
[+] 2 users Like Bucky Ball's post
13-07-2016, 08:41 PM
(13-07-2016 08:04 PM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  
(13-07-2016 07:33 PM)Banjo Wrote:  What do you mean by "Israel"?

Or maybe thank the Persian emperor Artaxerxes who permitted the return from (the Babylonian) exile, so that the re-established kingdom would serve as a buffer between his empire and the invading Greeks ... and along with them he sent the Torah of Moses (the Pentateuch, which they had cooked up/made up/invented in Babylon during the exile, ... the first time in history the beginnings of the Bible are ever mentioned), with Ezra and Nehemiah to rule IN HIS NAME, .... the Bible to serve as a legal and (fake) historical and legal foundational "national story" for the society that had been totally disrupted by the Exile. It's all about politics and social order ... it has nothing to do with religion and the gods. The Persian emperor knew the returning Jews needed something to organize their society around. The old families, on which the old society had been organized, were no longer the central organizing feature. They needed a new paradigm. They got it in the "scrolls" Artaxerxes told them to assemble to serve that purpose. The beginnings of the Old Testament.

No, as always I am thinking in Roman terms. That's all. They named the province Judea because of King Judah.

NOTE: Member, Tomasia uses this site to slander other individuals. He then later proclaims it a joke, but not in public.
Banjo.
14-07-2016, 05:31 AM
(13-07-2016 07:33 PM)Banjo Wrote:  

I've taken to calling this the cold compassion of Christianity. Who cares that about 6 million Jews were sent to the gas chambers to fulfill this prophecy?

[Image: auschwitz42.jpg]

Doesn't matter one bit.....

But for some reason this is laudable?

Gods derive their power from post-hoc rationalizations. -The Inquisition

Using the supernatural to explain events in your life is a failure of the intellect to comprehend the world around you. -The Inquisition
[+] 1 user Likes TheInquisition's post
14-07-2016, 06:14 AM (This post was last modified: 14-07-2016 06:18 AM by Bucky Ball.)
There were lots of other Jewish political entities. Modern Israel is but one of many.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Proposals_...wish_state
BTW, for most of it's history, there was no (single) Israel. It was two kingdoms far longer than it was one. Before that it was a (loose) confederation of tribes.
http://www.thethinkingatheist.com/forum/...ble-Bull-s

14-07-2016, 06:45 AM
(14-07-2016 06:14 AM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  There were lots of other Jewish political entities. Modern Israel is but one of many.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Proposals_...wish_state
BTW, for most of it's history, there was no (single) Israel. It was two kingdoms far longer than it was one. Before that it was a (loose) confederation of tribes.
http://www.thethinkingatheist.com/forum/...ble-Bull-s

And they never had wine, or roads.

Banjo.
[+] 4 users Like Banjo's post