the coming economic revolution

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
26-12-2014, 01:49 PM
RE: the coming economic revolution
I have seen a large uptick in resale shops in my area. Facebook is full of community online yard sales. There's atleast three that I know of covering the small five mile area that I am in. Moms reselling things their kids have outgrown to other moms, house decor items, jewelry, clothes. If it has some life left in it- people are selling it.

Craigslist and the like are huge and I see more and more resale shops, consignment shops, online resale. Etc.

"Life is a daring adventure or it is nothing"--Helen Keller
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Bows and Arrows's post
26-12-2014, 01:52 PM
(26-12-2014 01:49 PM)Bows and Arrows Wrote:  I have seen a large uptick in resale shops in my area. Facebook is full of community online yard sales. There's atleast three that I know of covering the small five mile area that I am in. Moms reselling things their kids have outgrown to other moms, house decor items, jewelry, clothes. If it has some life left in it- people are selling it.

Craigslist and the like are huge and I see more and more resale shops, consignment shops, online resale. Etc.

There's an idea, too - repurpose defunct malls to hold big fleamarket sales.

[Image: dobie.png]Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
26-12-2014, 01:59 PM
(26-12-2014 09:26 AM)Dom Wrote:  
(26-12-2014 07:57 AM)earmuffs Wrote:  What way's that?
Newspapers are still around.

I think there will always be a demand for stores like Walmart.
You can't rush out to Amazon and get some nappies that you ran out of or a pack of smokes.
Yea it's here the next day but I could ride my bike to our equivalent of Walmart, buy something and get back home in less than an hour. I don't have to pay for shipping and I don't have to wait 1-2 business days.

There's also plenty of things people don't like to buy online. Cloths and shoes for example. And food.
Shopping is also a social event, especially shopping centers (malls). It's also more secure, or at least feels more secure. People also don't like to spend big money online. ie: Stereo system. It's risky, or perceived as risky, people would rather go to an actual store for that sort of thing because they have a physical location and physical people that they can see and touch that they can sue the shit out of.
A website might be hosted via proxy in the Middle East. You can't sue someone in a different country. But you can sue the shop just down the road from you.

Most newspapers in the US are gone out of print, some have a strong online presence still.

I have a good friend, her husband has had the Wall Street Journal home delivered forever. They recently sent a letter saying that due to declining subscriptions in their area they've discontinued home delivery.

Many news papers are struggling or moving online.

There are things I don't mind buying online. Books for one -- I like my kindle app, but I also like physically holding a book in my hands.

I think because of the whole kindle thing, erotic fiction sales are soaring..Blush

I don't know if I'd buy furniture online tho. Clothes....not really unless I know for sure it would fit. Never shoes.

But as if to knock me down, reality came around
And without so much as a mere touch, cut me into little pieces

26-12-2014, 02:03 PM
(26-12-2014 09:40 AM)Bows and Arrows Wrote:  the people who bought our house in October never walked thru it before writing the contract to purchase. Their agent did, but they didn't. A home is the single largest purchase/investment most people make. It was based on what they saw online and their agents comments.

I thought they were fools, actually first time buyers..., but I've been on the selling, buying, and the agent on a ton of houses.

Always walk thru it. If for nothing else to get a feel for the surrounding area.

Homes are usually the most expensive thing anyone would buy. Yet the average person spends less than 15 minutes making the decision.

But as if to knock me down, reality came around
And without so much as a mere touch, cut me into little pieces

26-12-2014, 03:58 PM
(26-12-2014 02:03 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  
(26-12-2014 09:40 AM)Bows and Arrows Wrote:  the people who bought our house in October never walked thru it before writing the contract to purchase. Their agent did, but they didn't. A home is the single largest purchase/investment most people make. It was based on what they saw online and their agents comments.

I thought they were fools, actually first time buyers..., but I've been on the selling, buying, and the agent on a ton of houses.

Always walk thru it. If for nothing else to get a feel for the surrounding area.

Homes are usually the most expensive thing anyone would buy. Yet the average person spends less than 15 minutes making the decision.

Homes you need to see, smell and touch. I always carry a pocket knife when looking at houses and check for dry rot, insects and foundation issues. People do the dumbest things when buying homes, the worst being judging it by the colors or carpets etc. They'd rather buy a pretty house with new carpet and counter tops that has foundation issues than a sound house that needs cosmetics. I never understood that.

I bought lots of furniture online - they give dimensions, colors look pretty true, and you get a lot of reviews. I don't buy a lot of shoes, but have bought them online, too. I even bought the lumber for my house online, had it pre-cut to measure and delivered. Saved me a ton of paid labor. Tongue

In any case, I didn't post here to convince anyone to buy anything online, but because of the economic impact of a trend. When such changes happen, there are always a ton of business opportunities... if one thinks ahead and out of the box.

[Image: dobie.png]Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
[+] 1 user Likes Dom's post
26-12-2014, 04:06 PM
I do most of my shopping online. I have never been a sport shopper. In fact I hate the little bit of browsing in stores that I do. The exceptions are quirky little hometown shops and boutiques that tend to hold unique items and not the mass-produced stuff you can buy just about anywhere.

I work with a couple young women who are complete mall rats. Their worlds revolve around the next trip to the mall. Walmarts still pop up around here like weeds. Also the standard stores that are everywhere like Target, Old Navy, Michaels, Petsmart, Hobby Lobby and Kohls. CVS and Walgreens seem to pop up on the same intersection simultaneously.

If the number of cars in their parking lots is any indication, the days of going to the store aren't waning.

See here they are the bruises some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF
27-12-2014, 08:22 AM
I suppose in the short term it is good for the consumer. They get more choice and can compare prices from place to place.

However in the long run I fear that when more shops close and as technology improves and businesses become more automated this will reduce the need for businesses to employ as many people as they used too.

So with more people out of work who will be the consumers?

I feel so much, and yet I feel nothing.
I am a rock, I am the sky, the birds and the trees and everything beyond.
I am the wind, in the fields in which I roar. I am the water, in which I drown.
[+] 1 user Likes bemore's post
27-12-2014, 08:27 AM
The coming economic revolution will be the day the psychopathic sharks on Wall Street finally succeed in bringing the entire teetering house of cards global economy to it's knees, and just like the last time (1929) the most likely by-product will be another world war.

Merry Christmas everybody, enjoy it while you can!
27-12-2014, 08:38 AM
When drone delivery that locks onto your phone's gps via the company's app, already implemented to some extent, becomes reasonable, economical, and widespread, online shopping will be further revolutionized.

When it's cheaper to run a warehouse where property is cheap than a fully staffed shop near residential areas and let drones do the delivery, stores will no longer be rational. They'll still be around until the generation that's used to them is gone.

'Murican Canadian
[+] 2 users Like yakherder's post
27-12-2014, 08:43 AM
(27-12-2014 08:27 AM)Baba Bozo Wrote:  The coming economic revolution will be the day the psychopathic sharks on Wall Street finally succeed in bringing the entire teetering house of cards global economy to it's knees, and just like the last time (1929) the most likely by-product will be another world war.

Merry Christmas everybody, enjoy it while you can!

The world war never stopped, just adapted. We're locked in a chain of perpetual small scale conflicts. The large scale destructive potential of modern technology makes conventional front line based large scale warfare inefficient.

'Murican Canadian
[+] 1 user Likes yakherder's post