the coming economic revolution

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
27-12-2014, 08:51 AM
RE: the coming economic revolution
(27-12-2014 08:38 AM)yakherder Wrote:  When drone delivery that locks onto your phone's gps via the company's app, already implemented to some extent, becomes reasonable, economical, and widespread, online shopping will be further revolutionized.

When it's cheaper to run a warehouse where property is cheap than a fully staffed shop near residential areas and let drones do the delivery, stores will no longer be rational. They'll still be around until the generation that's used to them is gone.

I had heard recently that less teens are getting their drivers licenses, I cant help but think this will play a part as well.

"Life is a daring adventure or it is nothing"--Helen Keller
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Bows and Arrows's post
28-12-2014, 08:43 PM
I think poor/working class people will continue to shop at places like Walmart because they can't afford online access at home, and some can't even afford a decent smartphone.
29-12-2014, 08:12 AM
Also, girls like to go shopping.

Really Yes

I've seen them do it.

06-03-2015, 09:45 PM
An economic revolution 45 years after the Moon landing when economists can't even talk about Planned Obsolescence?

How much do Americans lose on the depreciation of automobiles every year?

http://www.spectacle.org/1199/wargame.html

psik
06-03-2015, 10:00 PM
(06-03-2015 09:45 PM)psikeyhackr Wrote:  An economic revolution 45 years after the Moon landing when economists can't even talk about Planned Obsolescence?

How much do Americans lose on the depreciation of automobiles every year?

http://www.spectacle.org/1199/wargame.html

psik

Why such a hard-on for the moon landing?
You keep bringing it up.
07-03-2015, 03:25 AM
(29-12-2014 08:12 AM)DLJ Wrote:  Also, girls like to go shopping.

Really Yes

I've seen them do it.

I never understood that. I mean, I like getting stuff. The acquisition of material possessions can be pleasing, sure. But actually enjoying the act of shopping? Never got that. Just strolling around a mall drives me insane. I never go out shopping without a clear objective of what I want and where to get it, I go out to get it, and I'm done.

I just don't understand the appeal of constant browsing. It's like a drip feed of envy, something to be avoided rather than indulged I would think...

[Image: E3WvRwZ.gif]
[+] 2 users Like EvolutionKills's post
07-03-2015, 07:08 AM
(07-03-2015 03:25 AM)EvolutionKills Wrote:  
(29-12-2014 08:12 AM)DLJ Wrote:  Also, girls like to go shopping.

Really Yes

I've seen them do it.

I never understood that. I mean, I like getting stuff. The acquisition of material possessions can be pleasing, sure. But actually enjoying the act of shopping? Never got that. Just strolling around a mall drives me insane. I never go out shopping without a clear objective of what I want and where to get it, I go out to get it, and I'm done.

I just don't understand the appeal of constant browsing. It's like a drip feed of envy, something to be avoided rather than indulged I would think...

That's why I suggested converting ailing malls into more of a vacation spot that allows you to do all your errands. A mall should have movies, eateries, a spa, hair dresser, banking, post office, bakery, butcher, etc. A place where you can spend a day with a mix of getting everything done and having fun. With lots of small specialty stores. Like an old fashioned city center.

And, I enjoy some shopping. It's fun to spend an afternoon looking at pretty things and imagining what to do with them. I don't see what envy has to do with it at all.

[Image: dobie.png]Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
07-03-2015, 07:28 AM
It's pretty unlikely that internet shopping will ever totally replace brick/mortar. Some stuff you simply have to have in your hand to examine it, before you'll purchase it....

For instance - can you tell the size and pitch of a bolt simply by looking at a picture of it?? They can give you the specifications - but if you don't know how to measure the one you're holding - how would you know what size you've got???

Besides - sometimes you just gotta get out of the house.

The difference between prayer and masturbation - is when a guy is through masturbating - he has something to show for his efforts.
[+] 1 user Likes onlinebiker's post
07-03-2015, 07:28 AM
(07-03-2015 07:08 AM)Dom Wrote:  ...
A mall should have movies, eateries, a spa, hair dresser, banking, post office, bakery, butcher, etc. A place where you can spend a day with a mix of getting everything done and having fun. With lots of small specialty stores. Like an old fashioned city center.

I've learned something new. There is an implication there, that you don't have places like that already?

You have described a typical Singaporean or Malaysian shopping centre.

p.s. I can't even pronounce 'mall'. Is it like 'maul' or 'moll' or 'mal'?

Huh

07-03-2015, 08:27 AM
(07-03-2015 07:28 AM)DLJ Wrote:  p.s. I can't even pronounce 'mall'. Is it like 'maul' or 'moll' or 'mal'?

USA: like 'all' with an m in front so maul (or mawl depending on the regional accent)
UK: mal

Atheism: it's not just for communists any more!
America July 4 1776 - November 8 2016 RIP
[+] 1 user Likes unfogged's post