the coming economic revolution

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
07-03-2015, 08:29 AM
RE: the coming economic revolution
(07-03-2015 07:28 AM)DLJ Wrote:  
(07-03-2015 07:08 AM)Dom Wrote:  ...
A mall should have movies, eateries, a spa, hair dresser, banking, post office, bakery, butcher, etc. A place where you can spend a day with a mix of getting everything done and having fun. With lots of small specialty stores. Like an old fashioned city center.

I've learned something new. There is an implication there, that you don't have places like that already?

You have described a typical Singaporean or Malaysian shopping centre.

p.s. I can't even pronounce 'mall'. Is it like 'maul' or 'moll' or 'mal'?

Huh

It varies regionally, but most malls I have been to were either huge, unwieldy places with all the major chain stores present, or small, run down things with more service businesses like laundromats etc.

Most small towns have a downtown with all these places, but you are outside and not under a roof. So, whether you get people strolling for an afternoon depends on the weather. You want a mall to be "sticky" like a website - you want people to spend time there, the more the better.

[Image: dobie.png]Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
07-03-2015, 09:00 AM
When we moved here there was a typical mall in the next town over that had the expected anchor stores, a food court, Lenscrafters, clothing and jewelry stores, etc. all under one roof. You could tell it was a mall in decline as the vacant spaces increased with each visit. You can tell a mall is going downhill quickly when the food vendors start closing up. Now, eight years later, it's a rundown shadow of what it once was. Parking lots mostly empty and the building looking worse for wear.

What popped up in the other direction from our house is a 'mall' that is set up more like the old downtown area. It's open air. The anchor stores are there in separate buildings with their own parking lots. The shops and restaurants are side by side with parking just like on a town street. This mall is thriving. They have added apartment buildings with similar architecture around the perimeter. The area is attractive and offers you the ability to go to the one specific store you are interested in or you can walk up and down the sidewalks just like the downtown areas many of us grew up with.

It's an interesting change to watch develop.

I do more and more shopping online. My main in-store purchases are groceries and pet supplies but I have started purchasing more pet supplies online as I can often find better prices and, with the zoo we have, free shipping on certain levels of purchase. The 25 pound of parrot food I can buy online and have shipped free, is much cheaper than buying it in any brick and mortar shop. I am even thinking of checking out the dog groomers that come to your home instead of loading my dogs up and taking to the groomer where they are exposed to other animals who may not be as healthy.

Being a home-body, the more I can accomplish without venturing out into the world the better.

See here they are the bruises some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF

We're all mad here. The Cheshire Cat
[+] 1 user Likes Anjele's post
07-03-2015, 09:56 AM
(06-03-2015 09:45 PM)psikeyhackr Wrote:  How much do Americans lose on the depreciation of automobiles every year?

http://www.spectacle.org/1199/wargame.html

psik

Considering my cars are 20 years old and my Jeep is 30 years old - and I bought them used - and can sell them for as much or more than I paid for them....

I don't do "depreciation"....

The difference between prayer and masturbation - is when a guy is through masturbating - he has something to show for his efforts.
[+] 3 users Like onlinebiker's post
07-03-2015, 10:33 AM
You've vastly ignored that this could be outdated itself by other verging innovations.

3D Printing for example which could get to a point of making vast types of shopping obsolete. Maybe you no longer need also to go to the store to see that Bolt because you can measure the model you need to produce it or test by making variants.

Never give up to think the one tech already dominating will be the one to destroy the former market.

"Allow there to be a spectrum in all that you see" - Neil Degrasse Tyson
07-03-2015, 10:37 AM
(07-03-2015 10:33 AM)ClydeLee Wrote:  You've vastly ignored that this could be outdated itself by other verging innovations.

3D Printing for example which could get to a point of making vast types of shopping obsolete. Maybe you no longer need also to go to the store to see that Bolt because you can measure the model you need to produce it or test by making variants.

Never give up to think the one tech already dominating will be the one to destroy the former market.

The way technology promotes technology - and the repercussions caused by each new innovation - make trying to predict the future of the impact of technology rather like trying to play a game of billiards on a haywagon bouncing down a dirt road. Shit keeps moving on you so much, your shots are all just luck.....

The difference between prayer and masturbation - is when a guy is through masturbating - he has something to show for his efforts.
07-03-2015, 03:07 PM
(07-03-2015 09:56 AM)onlinebiker Wrote:  
(06-03-2015 09:45 PM)psikeyhackr Wrote:  How much do Americans lose on the depreciation of automobiles every year?

http://www.spectacle.org/1199/wargame.html

psik

Considering my cars are 20 years old and my Jeep is 30 years old - and I bought them used - and can sell them for as much or more than I paid for them....

I don't do "depreciation"....

LOL

I have never purchased a new car and paid cash for my last one.

The Laws of Physics are inescapable even if the dollar value goes up for other reasons. We are each affected by the economy as a whole because of all of the dummies.

I had a conversation with a man who told me he LOVED CARS. I asked him what a cam shaft was. He didn't know.

psik
08-03-2015, 12:20 AM
"the coming apocalypse"

FTFY

Truth seeker.
08-03-2015, 05:55 AM
(07-03-2015 10:37 AM)onlinebiker Wrote:  
(07-03-2015 10:33 AM)ClydeLee Wrote:  You've vastly ignored that this could be outdated itself by other verging innovations.

The way technology promotes technology - and the repercussions caused by each new innovation - make trying to predict the future of the impact of technology rather like trying to play a game of billiards on a haywagon bouncing down a dirt road. Shit keeps moving on you so much, your shots are all just luck.....

Yabbut not entirely. Calculated risk is not entirely luck. These days, it's still very possible to find a niche to start a business in - it may even be a lot easier. Used to be there was only room for one cobbler, smith, butcher etc. per village. Now, the market place is so vast, there is much room for people to compete. Getting on that horse is not all that hard, staying on it is hard because you do need to be able and willing and always on the ready to change direction or sell out, even when you are doing well.

No such thing as complacency in today's business environment. Just taking proper care of day to day operations doesn't make you succeed - you have to stay on top of all new developments and be flexible enough to drastically change direction at a moment's notice. You need vision in addition to all the attributes it used to take to be a successful entrepreneur.

[Image: dobie.png]Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
[+] 1 user Likes Dom's post
18-03-2015, 04:57 AM
Michio Kaku having consulted hundreds of leading scientists predicts being online as soon as you put your jacket on (my futurama has android downloaded 'files' wearing a smart 'mist') and breathing on a smart mirror to know if you'll have cancer in thirty years. This forum demonstrates the future of social space.