the contradiction of the all powerful and good god

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
12-06-2016, 08:11 PM
RE: the contradiction of the all powerful and good god
O.o

Deepity spam? Whatever.

Most theists will abandon one part of their omni god. Either god is not all good, or he is not all powerful. This is usually what it boils down to.

This in itself does not mean god does not exist, just not the omni type. God could very well exist and be an evil bastard, or could simply not be all-powerful.

But I can sit back and let the theists argue which is true.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes natachan's post
13-06-2016, 02:05 PM
(09-06-2016 09:09 PM)smileyjose86 Wrote:  That contradiction itself is enough evidence to prove the inexistence Of god.

Can statements about what one considers morally Good, be factually incorrect?

If not, then no contradiction exists.

"Tell me, muse, of the storyteller who has been thrust to the edge of the world, both an infant and an ancient, and through him reveal everyman." ---Homer the aged poet.

"In Him was life, and the life was the Light of men. The Light shines in the darkness, and the darkness did not comprehend it."
13-06-2016, 02:13 PM
(13-06-2016 02:05 PM)Tomasia Wrote:  
(09-06-2016 09:09 PM)smileyjose86 Wrote:  That contradiction itself is enough evidence to prove the inexistence Of god.

If God exists, he is neither moral nor good.
13-06-2016, 02:25 PM
The all powerful and all good God concept is a classic paradox. If you could stop something bad from happening you would but if you didn't but could have you are not a good person, it's just that simple. God apparently knows all, can see everything, can stop any bad thing from happening but is all good? Not just a little good, he's the epitome of all encompassing goodness...and yet children are slowing starving to death?

Ask any Christian and they will most likely tell you they believe in miracles and God granting little favors to people, so yes he does intervene yet allows so much suffering. He's either not all good or not all powerful, I would concede he is all powerful if he can create an entire universe that would make sense but he's certainly not all good or all loving, in that case he's not worth worshiping.

He's also not all knowing, he's basically a really dumb and evil wizard with incredible magical abilities. I'm so glad he doesn't really exist, I don't see how theists sleep at night.

[Image: sagansig_zps6vhbql6m.jpg]
[+] 1 user Likes SitaSky's post
13-06-2016, 02:28 PM
(13-06-2016 02:13 PM)carusmm Wrote:  If God exists, he is neither moral nor good.

Is that objectively true, or just your subjective opinion?

"Tell me, muse, of the storyteller who has been thrust to the edge of the world, both an infant and an ancient, and through him reveal everyman." ---Homer the aged poet.

"In Him was life, and the life was the Light of men. The Light shines in the darkness, and the darkness did not comprehend it."
13-06-2016, 02:31 PM
(13-06-2016 02:25 PM)SitaSky Wrote:  The all powerful and all good God concept is a classic paradox. If you could stop something bad from happening you would but if you didn't but could have you are not a good person, it's just that simple.

IS the claim that you're not a Good person, if you could stop something bad from happening but don't stop it from happening, a factually true claim?

Is it objectively true?

If I were to claim that you can be a Good, without stopping bad things from happening even when it's within your power to do so, have I made a factually incorrect statement?

Or would we just be have differing subjective opinions on the matter?

13-06-2016, 02:31 PM
(13-06-2016 02:28 PM)Tomasia Wrote:  
(13-06-2016 02:13 PM)carusmm Wrote:  If God exists, he is neither moral nor good.

Is that objectively true, or just your subjective opinion?

Everything is opinion, except atoms.
13-06-2016, 02:32 PM
(13-06-2016 02:05 PM)Tomasia Wrote:  

Morality is relative but if we are to look at the Bible and consider the apparently objective morality of this God character and judge him according to his own standards than factually he is immoral to the highest degree.

He's a hypocrite and if he makes rules just for us humans to abide by and then breaks them himself then the morality is relative to power level and is still subjective, if it was truly objective he would also have to adhere to it along with all of us, since he is not moral even according to his own standards then yes there is a contradiction, a big one.

[Image: sagansig_zps6vhbql6m.jpg]
13-06-2016, 02:33 PM
(13-06-2016 02:31 PM)carusmm Wrote:  
(13-06-2016 02:28 PM)Tomasia Wrote:  Is that objectively true, or just your subjective opinion?

If God exists, then he can be Good.

In this regard neither or correct or incorrect, we just have a difference of subjective opinion?

13-06-2016, 02:33 PM
(13-06-2016 02:31 PM)carusmm Wrote:  
(13-06-2016 02:28 PM)Tomasia Wrote:  Is that objectively true, or just your subjective opinion?

That's what you think.
[+] 1 user Likes pablo's post