the evils of the catholic church?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
20-01-2014, 10:59 PM
the evils of the catholic church?
I was a very devout catholic for 17 years(1-17 if that even counts) I even seriously debated becoming a priest. After seeing the truth and becoming an atheist, I remember the warm comforting feeling I had with all the other people there. Now that I really know its past though it is scary how evil they were in the past. But everyone I bring that up to say thats in the past, which it does seem to be from the perspective I had. What is the church doing now or recently that is "evil"?
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
21-01-2014, 01:20 PM
RE: the evils of the catholic church?
well, the ongoing passive genocide in Africa by promoting not using condoms is quite evil imo. More if you consider that he lack of information on good prevention methods are completely based on the catholic policy on condoms

[Image: sigvacachica.png]
21-01-2014, 01:38 PM
Hmm.... here you go:
http://www.google.com/search?q=list+of+c...=324&dpr=2

[Image: a1Ay5GG_460sa_v1.gif]

If your God can't be bothered to personally reveal himself to me, then I can't be bothered to worship him.
15-02-2014, 05:46 PM
-Refusal to OK condom use while people die of AIDS.
-Refusal to OK contraception when millions of their followers live in extreme poverty and cannot afford to feed their children.
-The Vatican sits on untold billions in resources while the above happens.
-The Church demands offerings from its followers despite the above.
-The sheer number of Catholic priests that have been involved in the sexual abuse of children.
-The fact that there is growing evidence that the hierarchy of the church knew about many of these cases of abuse and refused to do anything o stop it.
-Women still aren't allowed full rights, including joining the priesthood.
-The Church's stance on gay rights is basically that gays don't have rights.
-A growing number of extremely conservative Catholics are holding the anti-science, anti-equal rights, pro-prosperity views of the worst kinds of extreme Protestants (not many people are seeing this trend, but my stepkids' mother is one and my friend had the misfortune to be married by a priest who was one, even changing her wedding vows to promote anti-gay and anti-contraceptive crap).

And that's just a start...
[+] 3 users Like ecolt's post
16-03-2014, 08:39 PM
The Catholic Church has often touted itself as the moral high ground above and beyond all other religions. To me, I don't look at it as separate and away from other denominations, as if it is 'more evil' than the others. It's all part of the Christian cult of lies and bullshit, and so everything it does or doesn't do, is for its own power and status. Just like all religions, really.

Every silver lining, has a cloud. Drinking Beverage
16-03-2014, 09:16 PM
If you've never seen this video, it's worth the watch. "Is the Catholic Church a force of good" is the topic of debate. Fry and Hitchens do a good job of bringing up and exposing the vast amount of evil that is present in the church. The polling at the beginning and at the end is extremely telling.

She turned me into a NEWT. I got better, though.

"Let me give you some advice, bastard: never forget what you are. The rest of the world will not. Wear it like armor, and it can never be used to hurt you." - Tyrion Lannister
[+] 2 users Like itsnotmeitsyou's post
23-03-2014, 03:29 PM
I was a catholic for almost 3xs the time you were. Many of those issues stated above is what drove me away. They are by no means unique to the catholic church. The protestant denomination have many of the same issues, just with out the pope.
23-03-2014, 03:55 PM
Probably mentioned in the video, but relevant to your question.

1.) Celebration of Hitlers birthday by order of the pope., in the name of the the Bishops in Germany
2.) In 1933 Pope Pius XII drew up a concordat with Hitler, granting international credibility to his regime
3.) Excommunication for arranging for an abortion for a 9 year old girl pregnant with twins after being raped by her step father.

1.Hitler's Birthday:
Stevenson, J 2006 "Hitler's Home Front" Hambledon Continuum, London, p.355
2. Kreig, R. A. (2003) "The Vatican Concordat with Hitler's Reich" in America; the National Catholic Weekly, Sept 1, 2003
3. http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/29531755/

Here's the thing, were any of this true, Christian apologetics would not exist. One does not have to bend in multiple ways to defend electricity or aerodynamics. - Banjo

god's love is unconditional on the condition you do every thing he says. - Betty Bowers
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
23-03-2014, 08:20 PM (This post was last modified: 23-03-2014 08:25 PM by TheLogicalAthiest.)
Promoting Mother Teressa as a Saint and an amazing person, when in reality she was crazy and thought suffering brought one closer to God. In her flagship hospital in Calcutta (which resembled a 3rd world hospital despite the tons of donations she received for it) people who could have been treated and recovered from their illnesses where denied medicine and pain relief so they could suffer and get closer to Jesus.

If your interested, this fun video will tell you more in an interesting way

Christopher Hitchens also wrote a book exposing her I think.

"Rather than love, than money, than fame, give me truth." - Henry David Thoroeau

Please check out my YouTube channel! Thumbsup http://www.youtube.com/user/1ScottUK
[+] 1 user Likes TheLogicalAthiest's post
03-05-2014, 11:04 PM
The catholic religion is a poison. I can't believe my sister believe in this horseshit religion. She is a coward that prefered to believe in her fantasies. She don't care about reality. She is afraid of reality. No

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Hi... recovering catholic here.. jason197754 12 357 20-11-2013 06:22 PM
Last Post: Bucky Ball
  Missing Church FlightedChemist 16 719 18-02-2013 07:51 PM
Last Post: DLJ