the fig tree

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
29-02-2016, 12:09 AM
RE: the fig tree
(28-02-2016 10:43 PM)Dark Wanderer Wrote:  why would anyone want to buy a dove?

As part of a set of 22 for a bizarre sequence of giving in which one gives a pair of doves every day for 11 of the 12 days of Christmas?

Yeah, all the other alternatives are about as rational as that one.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Reltzik's post
29-02-2016, 05:36 AM
Soooo... blood for the Blood God then?
[+] 1 user Likes Dark Wanderer's post
29-02-2016, 08:04 AM
(28-02-2016 01:02 PM)Ace Wrote:  jesus was hungry, saw a tree and when he got near it he saw it had no fruits then he proceeds to curse the tree making it whither Angry

what exactly was the point of doing that ?:Facepalm

the tree didn't have any figs... .well there's probably plenty of other fig trees nearby why not go look there for some figs to chow down on ? Dodgy

what is the point of the writers bothering to write this down ? to show that jesus is a dick to trees when he's hungry ? Dodgy Facepalm

This is a weird coincidence, because they focused on the other fig tree story in my wife's church, yesterday. It involved a tree not bearing fruit for three years, and the servant wanting to nurture it with manure for one year and giving it one last chance before cutting it down.

I think in both cases, they're supposed to be symbolizing the fruits of one's faith/actions. So, the story you mentioned has pretty obvious parallels to Most Merciful Jesus casting people into hell, and the second story being basically the same, but giving you another chance.

So, we'll award the Bible one point for having a coherent narrative to explain an otherwise crazy story, and we'll take away ten points because the explanation involves the Lamb of God sending people to infinite torture for finite crimes. Par for the course, really.
29-02-2016, 09:14 AM
(29-02-2016 08:04 AM)RobbyPants Wrote:  
(28-02-2016 01:02 PM)Ace Wrote:  jesus was hungry, saw a tree and when he got near it he saw it had no fruits then he proceeds to curse the tree making it whither Angry

what exactly was the point of doing that ?:Facepalm

the tree didn't have any figs... .well there's probably plenty of other fig trees nearby why not go look there for some figs to chow down on ? Dodgy

what is the point of the writers bothering to write this down ? to show that jesus is a dick to trees when he's hungry ? Dodgy Facepalm

This is a weird coincidence, because they focused on the other fig tree story in my wife's church, yesterday. It involved a tree not bearing fruit for three years, and the servant wanting to nurture it with manure for one year and giving it one last chance before cutting it down.

I think in both cases, they're supposed to be symbolizing the fruits of one's faith/actions. So, the story you mentioned has pretty obvious parallels to Most Merciful Jesus casting people into hell, and the second story being basically the same, but giving you another chance.

So, we'll award the Bible one point for having a coherent narrative to explain an otherwise crazy story, and we'll take away ten points because the explanation involves the Lamb of God sending people to infinite torture for finite crimes. Par for the course, really.

since Jesus was in both the fig tree story in christian logic wouldn't that mean both stuff literally happened making the symbolic meaning mute

but all that still doesn't explain why the guy who turns water into wine can't turn dirt into tacos
29-02-2016, 09:15 AM
(29-02-2016 09:14 AM)Ace Wrote:  
(29-02-2016 08:04 AM)RobbyPants Wrote:  This is a weird coincidence, because they focused on the other fig tree story in my wife's church, yesterday. It involved a tree not bearing fruit for three years, and the servant wanting to nurture it with manure for one year and giving it one last chance before cutting it down.

since Jesus was in both the fig tree story in christian logic wouldn't that mean both stuff literally happened making the symbolic meaning mute

Just click your heels together three times and say the word "parable" enough and it doesn't matter.
29-02-2016, 09:35 AM
(28-02-2016 04:15 PM)ClydeLee Wrote:  I believe it's actually a metaphor about facebook posting Christians specifically.

Nah, that's just a fig-ment of your imagination. Sadcryface2

"Why hast thou forsaken me, o deity whose existence I doubt..." - Dr. Sheldon Cooper
29-02-2016, 09:37 AM
(29-02-2016 09:14 AM)Ace Wrote:  
(29-02-2016 08:04 AM)RobbyPants Wrote:  This is a weird coincidence, because they focused on the other fig tree story in my wife's church, yesterday. It involved a tree not bearing fruit for three years, and the servant wanting to nurture it with manure for one year and giving it one last chance before cutting it down.

but all that still doesn't explain why the guy who turns water into wine can't turn dirt into tacos

And why turn perfectly good water into wine when you're not supposed to drink liquor?

We have enough youth. How about looking for the Fountain of Smart?
29-02-2016, 09:47 AM
(29-02-2016 09:37 AM)Thinkerbelle Wrote:  
(29-02-2016 09:14 AM)Ace Wrote:  since Jesus was in both the fig tree story in christian logic wouldn't that mean both stuff literally happened making the symbolic meaning mute

And why turn perfectly good water into wine when you're not supposed to drink liquor?

doesn't that mean the very son of himself made wine for people to drink when he himself prohibited it ?
29-02-2016, 01:22 PM
(29-02-2016 09:47 AM)Ace Wrote:  doesn't that mean the very son of himself made wine for people to drink when he himself prohibited it ?

Did he? I'm pretty sure that's just Baptists and Mormons adding more restrictions to themselves than they need to.
29-02-2016, 03:11 PM
(29-02-2016 01:22 PM)RobbyPants Wrote:  
(29-02-2016 09:47 AM)Ace Wrote:  doesn't that mean the very son of himself made wine for people to drink when he himself prohibited it ?

Did he? I'm pretty sure that's just Baptists and Mormons adding more restrictions to themselves than they need to.

In proverbs Solomon talks about drinking wine and it's effects. Thus fundamentalists use this to prohibit alcohol intake. Also that we must preserve the holy ghost temple (our bodies).

"Skepticism is the first step towards truth" -Denis Diderot