the hypocrisy i see

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
13-03-2017, 02:28 PM
RE: the hypocrisy i see
(13-03-2017 02:13 PM)Emma Wrote:  There is still a lot of stigma around mental illnesses. Thankfully it's getting better- but so slowly. The only thing we can do is to keep educating people. The more people know about mental illnesses, the more people understand that you can't think your way out of it. But people who don't understand that are the ones that basically try to bully you into behaving according to their rules.

You don't choose to have a mental illness, it just happens.

As for Lyme disease, my step-dad has it. And it's fucking awful. They couldn't figure out what it was for so long, so the disease advanced pretty far. The pain he deals with is chronic. It's getting better, very very slowly, but it might never fully be cured. He has good days and bad days as a result of it. Ugh- please, wear some repellent! I wouldn't wish disease that on anyone.

I agree, and that really sucks about your dad Emma. That must be very hard for him, and very hard for all of you to witness. (hugs)

DLJ Wrote:And, yes, the principle of freedom of expression works both ways... if someone starts shit, better shit is the best counter-argument.
Big Grin
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
13-03-2017, 02:44 PM
(13-03-2017 02:13 PM)Emma Wrote:  There is still a lot of stigma around mental illnesses. Thankfully it's getting better- but so slowly. The only thing we can do is to keep educating people. The more people know about mental illnesses, the more people understand that you can't think your way out of it. But people who don't understand that are the ones that basically try to bully you into behaving according to their rules.

As for Lyme disease, my step-dad has it. And it's fucking awful. They couldn't figure out what it was for so long, so the disease advanced pretty far. The pain he deals with is chronic. It's getting better, very very slowly, but it might never fully be cured. He has good days and bad days as a result of it. Ugh- please, wear some repellent! I wouldn't wish disease that on anyone.

I had undiagnosed Lyme for years and it almost killed me twice then. I never could get diagnosed at the hospital (this was like 25 years ago, they are better now). The tick was right at the spot where I had tied my pony tail - I didn't feel it there, tugging happens all the time. (Avoiding the out of doors to avoid ticks is a bit extreme.) I finally got help over the web from a self help group with people with the same issue and bought the meds online without prescription and got myself fixed. There will always be remnants of it, once it was chronic it never quite goes away and actually becomes more troublesome with age. So sorry your step-dad has it too, I hope he will be better when he finishes treatment.

[Image: dobie.png]Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
[+] 1 user Likes Dom's post
13-03-2017, 03:01 PM
(13-03-2017 02:44 PM)Dom Wrote:  

I had undiagnosed Lyme for years and it almost killed me twice then. I never could get diagnosed at the hospital (this was like 25 years ago, they are better now). The tick was right at the spot where I had tied my pony tail - I didn't feel it there, tugging happens all the time. (Avoiding the out of doors to avoid ticks is a bit extreme.) I finally got help over the web from a self help group with people with the same issue and bought the meds online without prescription and got myself fixed. There will always be remnants of it, once it was chronic it never quite goes away and actually becomes more troublesome with age. So sorry your step-dad has it too, I hope he will be better when he finishes treatment.

Thanks, my step-dad is a good guy and the father of my amazing sister. Smile

But yeah- lots of places are terrible at diagnosing Lyme. One of my little step-brothers (from my bio dad's remarriage) had it too, but they caught it before it became chronic. It took them a while to diagnose it, too.

As far as avoiding the outdoors- I'm on board. If there's ticks around I won't be able to think about anything else. Gasp I'll feel like they are always crawling all over me. Ugh... Those things freak me out. Went for a hike in the Virginia woods one spring, and they were everywhere. I kept finding them on myself and my dog. Makes me shiver just thinking about it.
[+] 1 user Likes Emma's post
13-03-2017, 03:34 PM
I totally get that, that's why I NEVER let my dog play in the tall grass. And I try and keep him from chasing deer. I live in a national forest currently up in the sierra nevada mountains. Deer ticks are a big concern to me, along with bears, poisonous spiders, rattle snakes, mountain lions, bob cats, my crazy fundi religious and racist neighbors, geeze what up here ISN"T trying to kill me lol.

DLJ Wrote:And, yes, the principle of freedom of expression works both ways... if someone starts shit, better shit is the best counter-argument.
Big Grin
[+] 1 user Likes JesseB's post