the interpretation bible?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
12-01-2016, 01:11 AM
the interpretation bible?
I was reading some of Bucky's stuff and he talked about this bible and referenced some of it. My question is how can I read this book? Where can I find it? More like is there a link to it? Thanks. PS I did look but apparently I don't know what I'm doing.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
12-01-2016, 01:40 AM
RE: the interpretation bible?
Is it the Skeptic's Annotated Bible? If it is you can access it online, but I think it's easier to read in book form. You can buy it on amazon.
12-01-2016, 02:16 AM
(12-01-2016 01:40 AM)jennybee Wrote:  Is it the Skeptic's Annotated Bible? If it is you can access it online, but I think it's easier to read in book form. You can buy it on amazon.

Don't think so but I'm going to rule it out.
12-01-2016, 09:19 AM
The original Interpreter's Bible, published in the 1950s, was 10 volumes (I think) plus a supplemental index volume. It had two parallel translations (King James Version and Revised Standard Version), along with a lot of commentary. I was able to find a complete used set on Amazon for about $150, but I think this edition is also available online.

The New Interpreter's Bible is 12 volumes and uses different translations (New International Version and New Revised Standard Version). The commentary is all new. This one is available either digitally or in a print edition, but I was unable to find any free online version.

Both are excellent, but probably overkill unless you're a serious Bible scholar. The publishers are Methodists, but the commentary is done by many people with a variety of religious backgrounds.
[+] 1 user Likes Grasshopper's post
12-01-2016, 09:22 AM
Note: There are links to the online version(s), but my computer wouldn't let me go there (I'm at work), so I was unable to copy the links. Just google "Interpreter's Bible" or "New Interpreter's Bible", followed by the word "online", and you will find them.
12-01-2016, 09:59 AM
The only ones I know of are in libraries....seminaries and church related schools. I think there are 13 or 15 volumes. There's an updated version from the 90's, which I have never seen. The volumes tend to "disappear" so many places don't allow it to leave the building. I know of no on-line version, (although Google may have scanned it).

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
12-01-2016, 05:08 PM
(12-01-2016 09:22 AM)Grasshopper Wrote:  Note: There are links to the online version(s), but my computer wouldn't let me go there (I'm at work), so I was unable to copy the links. Just google "Interpreter's Bible" or "New Interpreter's Bible", followed by the word "online", and you will find them.

I did try but the only things that came up were from individual churches or faiths and are biased. Thanks though
12-01-2016, 05:10 PM
(12-01-2016 09:59 AM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  The only ones I know of are in libraries....seminaries and church related schools. I think there are 13 or 15 volumes. There's an updated version from the 90's, which I have never seen. The volumes tend to "disappear" so many places don't allow it to leave the building. I know of no on-line version, (although Google may have scanned it).

I was hoping I could find somerhing. I love knowledge and was very curious of what these scholars had to say about the bible and the culture and why it was written the way it was. The more you understand the culture and how they lived the more you understand what these were really saying and why.
12-01-2016, 05:12 PM
I also thought about taking some religious classes because years ago I was talking to a pastor that said that the education you go through to be a pastor you have to have a lot i mean a lot of faith to continue to believe. I am curious as to what they teach for him to say that.
12-01-2016, 05:17 PM
(12-01-2016 05:12 PM)purpledaisies Wrote:  I also thought about taking some religious classes because years ago I was talking to a pastor that said that the education you go through to be a pastor you have to have a lot i mean a lot of faith to continue to believe. I am curious as to what they teach for him to say that.

The facts about when, where, and how the religion developed and the books were written.

Atheism: it's not just for communists any more!
America July 4 1776 - November 8 2016 RIP