the interpretation bible?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
12-01-2016, 05:34 PM
RE: the interpretation bible?
(12-01-2016 05:17 PM)unfogged Wrote:  
(12-01-2016 05:12 PM)purpledaisies Wrote:  I also thought about taking some religious classes because years ago I was talking to a pastor that said that the education you go through to be a pastor you have to have a lot i mean a lot of faith to continue to believe. I am curious as to what they teach for him to say that.

The facts about when, where, and how the religion developed and the books were written.

Bart Ehrman comments on this in one of his books, several of which are largely about the unreliability of Biblical texts. He points out that every clergyman knows these things, but avoids mentioning them in sermons, etc..
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
12-01-2016, 05:40 PM
(12-01-2016 05:12 PM)purpledaisies Wrote:  I also thought about taking some religious classes because years ago I was talking to a pastor that said that the education you go through to be a pastor you have to have a lot i mean a lot of faith to continue to believe. I am curious as to what they teach for him to say that.

That's what Ehrman says in the intro to "Jesus Interrupted". He says they are taught all kinds of things they promptly forget on leaving school, and things they would/could never talk about from the pulpit.

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
14-01-2016, 10:25 AM
(12-01-2016 05:40 PM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  

That's what Ehrman says in the intro to "Jesus Interrupted". He says they are taught all kinds of things they promptly forget on leaving school, and things they would/could never talk about from the pulpit.

Sadly, religious indoctrination is a very powerful tool that has been used successfully by humans on humans since the beginning of time, (approx. 6000 years ago Big Grin). Thank "God" for the Clergy Project and all free thinkers among us.

"Why hast thou forsaken me, o deity whose existence I doubt..." - Dr. Sheldon Cooper
14-01-2016, 12:58 PM

Jennybee posted some video's of really interesting classes a while back with a Yale professor. The Professor was looking at it more from a historical view as in the mind set people were in while these story's were being developed, and culters. Rather then the events accully accrued.

Don't Live each day like it's your last. Live each day like you have 541 days after that one where every choice you make will have lasting implications to you and the world around you. ~ Tim Minchin
[+] 1 user Likes Commonsensei's post
14-01-2016, 05:26 PM
(14-01-2016 12:58 PM)Commonsensei Wrote:  

Jennybee posted some video's of really interesting classes a while back with a Yale professor. The Professor was looking at it more from a historical view as in the mind set people were in while these story's were being developed, and culters. Rather then the events accully accrued.

Thank you. I'll watch it a little later. Smile
14-01-2016, 06:56 PM
Try Isaac Asimov's guide to the Bible. I don't know if it is still available, but my copies of this 2 volume set got lost somewhere in my 999 moves over the last few decades. But it is quite an eye opener.
15-01-2016, 12:12 PM
(14-01-2016 12:58 PM)Commonsensei Wrote:  

Thank you Commonsensei (and to Jennybee) for posting this video. I just finished the 2nd lecture of the course and find it fascinating.

At the end of her 2nd lecture she mentions Genesis 6, which I completely missed in my reading of the Bible. Apparently God had sons who married the daughters of humans? That was mind blowing! What then does it mean that Jesus is God's only begotten son? Consider no, better yet Laugh out load

In the same chapter of Genesis:

5 The Lord saw how great the wickedness of the human race had become on the earth, and that every inclination of the thoughts of the human heart was only evil all the time. 6 The Lord regretted that he had made human beings on the earth, and his heart was deeply troubled. 7 So the Lord said, “I will wipe from the face of the earth the human race I have created—and with them the animals, the birds and the creatures that move along the ground—for I regret that I have made them.” 8 But Noah found favor in the eyes of the Lord.

Perhaps God, given his own track record of wickedness, should have instead regretted sending his sons down to procreate with us humans. Fucked up the whole gene pool.

Oh well, let's just wipe 'em out and start over. Facepalm

"Why hast thou forsaken me, o deity whose existence I doubt..." - Dr. Sheldon Cooper
15-01-2016, 12:31 PM
If you read the Bible without skipping anything, you will find all kinds of eye-openers. In Genesis alone, we have Noah cursing Ham's son Canaan because Ham happened to see him (Noah) naked after he had gotten drunk and passed out; Abraham (twice) and Isaac (once) passing their wives off as "sisters" because they are afraid foreigners will kill them so they can steal their wives; Lot trying to fend off a mob of men who want to have sex with Lot's male visitors (who happen to be angels) and offering them his daughters instead; those same daughters later getting Lot drunk so they can have sex with him; etc.

And then in Exodus we have God giving Moses the commission to go deliver the Israelites from slavery in Egypt, and then, almost immediately afterward, trying to kill Moses (apparently because he neglected to circumcise his son).

And we're just getting started. If you can get past all the begats and the legal stuff, there are some really interesting stories in there.
15-01-2016, 01:02 PM
(15-01-2016 12:31 PM)Grasshopper Wrote:  Lot trying to fend off a mob of men who want to have sex with Lot's male visitors (who happen to be angels) and offering them his daughters instead;

And Judges 19 has a variation if the same story

Atheism: it's not just for communists any more!
America July 4 1776 - November 8 2016 RIP
15-01-2016, 01:27 PM
Is that the story where the concubine gets hacked up and shipped off to the twelve tribes of Israel? That's even more fucked up than the first! I don't see the moral lesson in either story. But I'm sure there are several apologists on the internet that have a go at it. And a shitload of people eating it all up.