the interpretation bible?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
15-01-2016, 01:31 PM
RE: the interpretation bible?
(15-01-2016 01:27 PM)mgoering Wrote:  Is that the story where the concubine gets hacked up and shipped off to the twelve tribes of Israel? That's even more fucked up than the first! I don't see the moral lesson in either story. But I'm sure there are several apologists on the internet that have a go at it. And a shitload of people eating it all up.

I don't know if that's the same story that unfogged is referring to, but yes, that's a great one too. The Bible (especially the Old Testament) is full of x-rated material.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
15-01-2016, 02:01 PM
(15-01-2016 01:31 PM)Grasshopper Wrote:  
(15-01-2016 01:27 PM)mgoering Wrote:  Is that the story where the concubine gets hacked up and shipped off to the twelve tribes of Israel? That's even more fucked up than the first! I don't see the moral lesson in either story. But I'm sure there are several apologists on the internet that have a go at it. And a shitload of people eating it all up.

I don't know if that's the same story that unfogged is referring to, but yes, that's a great one too. The Bible (especially the Old Testament) is full of x-rated material.

Same story; Judges 19
An unnamed Levite and his concubine are given shelter for the night by a man in Gibeah (they couldn't stay in Jerusalem because it wasn't occupied by Hebrews!).

(19:22) [Now] as they were making their hearts merry, behold, the men of the city, certain sons of Belial, beset the house round about, [and] beat at the door, and spake to the master of the house, the old man, saying, Bring forth the man that came into thine house, that we may know him.
(19:23) And the man, the master of the house, went out unto them, and said unto them, Nay, my brethren, [nay], I pray you, do not [so] wickedly; seeing that this man is come into mine house, do not this folly.
(19:24) Behold, [here is] my daughter a maiden, and his concubine; them I will bring out now, and humble ye them, and do with them what seemeth good unto you: but unto this man do not so vile a thing.
(19:25) But the men would not hearken to him: so the man took his concubine, and brought her forth unto them; and they knew her, and abused her all the night until the morning: and when the day began to spring, they let her go.
(19:26) Then came the woman in the dawning of the day, and fell down at the door of the man's house where her lord [was], till it was light.
(19:27) And her lord rose up in the morning, and opened the doors of the house, and went out to go his way: and, behold, the woman his concubine was fallen down [at] the door of the house, and her hands [were] upon the threshold.
(19:28) And he said unto her, Up, and let us be going. But none answered. Then the man took her [up] upon an ass, and the man rose up, and gat him unto his place.
(19:29) And when he was come into his house, he took a knife, and laid hold on his concubine, and divided her, [together] with her bones, into twelve pieces, and sent her into all the coasts of Israel.
(19:30) And it was so, that all that saw it said, There was no such deed done nor seen from the day that the children of Israel came up out of the land of Egypt unto this day: consider of it, take advice, and speak [your minds].

Here endeth the lesson.
Drinking Beverage

Atheism: it's not just for communists any more!
America July 4 1776 - November 8 2016 RIP
15-01-2016, 02:06 PM
But really why would one need the Bible interpreted? if it doesn't mean what it says then who among mortals is entitled to decide what it does mean? That is what won me my freedom form mental slavery. It is truth or it isn't and if Rev Jabberman wants to tell me why verse 22 of chapter 14 doesn't mean what it says how is it that he knows more about than God hisself?
15-01-2016, 03:08 PM
(15-01-2016 02:01 PM)unfogged Wrote:  
(15-01-2016 01:31 PM)Grasshopper Wrote:  I don't know if that's the same story that unfogged is referring to, but yes, that's a great one too. The Bible (especially the Old Testament) is full of x-rated material.

Same story; Judges 19
An unnamed Levite and his concubine are given shelter for the night by a man in Gibeah (they couldn't stay in Jerusalem because it wasn't occupied by Hebrews!).

(19:22) [Now] as they were making their hearts merry, behold, the men of the city, certain sons of Belial, beset the house round about, [and] beat at the door, and spake to the master of the house, the old man, saying, Bring forth the man that came into thine house, that we may know him.
(19:23) And the man, the master of the house, went out unto them, and said unto them, Nay, my brethren, [nay], I pray you, do not [so] wickedly; seeing that this man is come into mine house, do not this folly.
(19:24) Behold, [here is] my daughter a maiden, and his concubine; them I will bring out now, and humble ye them, and do with them what seemeth good unto you: but unto this man do not so vile a thing.
(19:25) But the men would not hearken to him: so the man took his concubine, and brought her forth unto them; and they knew her, and abused her all the night until the morning: and when the day began to spring, they let her go.
(19:26) Then came the woman in the dawning of the day, and fell down at the door of the man's house where her lord [was], till it was light.
(19:27) And her lord rose up in the morning, and opened the doors of the house, and went out to go his way: and, behold, the woman his concubine was fallen down [at] the door of the house, and her hands [were] upon the threshold.
(19:28) And he said unto her, Up, and let us be going. But none answered. Then the man took her [up] upon an ass, and the man rose up, and gat him unto his place.
(19:29) And when he was come into his house, he took a knife, and laid hold on his concubine, and divided her, [together] with her bones, into twelve pieces, and sent her into all the coasts of Israel.
(19:30) And it was so, that all that saw it said, There was no such deed done nor seen from the day that the children of Israel came up out of the land of Egypt unto this day: consider of it, take advice, and speak [your minds].

Here endeth the lesson.
Drinking Beverage

That's one of my favorite stories. It's so moral.Sadcryface

Shakespeare's Comedy of Errors.... on Donald J. Trump:

He is deformed, crooked, old, and sere,
Ill-fac’d, worse bodied, shapeless every where;
Vicious, ungentle, foolish, blunt, unkind,
Stigmatical in making, worse in mind.
15-01-2016, 03:11 PM
(14-01-2016 12:58 PM)Commonsensei Wrote:  
(12-01-2016 05:12 PM)purpledaisies Wrote:  I also thought about taking some religious classes because years ago I was talking to a pastor that said that the education you go through to be a pastor you have to have a lot i mean a lot of faith to continue to believe. I am curious as to what they teach for him to say that.

Jennybee posted some video's of really interesting classes a while back with a Yale professor. The Professor was looking at it more from a historical view as in the mind set people were in while these story's were being developed, and culters. Rather then the events accully accrued.

Her name is Dr. Christine Hayes. She's great.

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
15-01-2016, 05:58 PM
(15-01-2016 12:12 PM)mgoering Wrote:  
(14-01-2016 12:58 PM)Commonsensei Wrote:  Jennybee posted some video's of really interesting classes a while back with a Yale professor. The Professor was looking at it more from a historical view as in the mind set people were in while these story's were being developed, and culters. Rather then the events accully accrued.

Thank you Commonsensei (and to Jennybee) for posting this video. I just finished the 2nd lecture of the course and find it fascinating.

At the end of her 2nd lecture she mentions Genesis 6, which I completely missed in my reading of the Bible. Apparently God had sons who married the daughters of humans? That was mind blowing! What then does it mean that Jesus is God's only begotten son? Consider no, better yet Laugh out load

In the same chapter of Genesis:

5 The Lord saw how great the wickedness of the human race had become on the earth, and that every inclination of the thoughts of the human heart was only evil all the time. 6 The Lord regretted that he had made human beings on the earth, and his heart was deeply troubled. 7 So the Lord said, “I will wipe from the face of the earth the human race I have created—and with them the animals, the birds and the creatures that move along the ground—for I regret that I have made them.” 8 But Noah found favor in the eyes of the Lord.

Perhaps God, given his own track record of wickedness, should have instead regretted sending his sons down to procreate with us humans. Fucked up the whole gene pool.

Oh well, let's just wipe 'em out and start over. Facepalm

Wait wait what??? God has sons that married human women?? Omg where I want to learn about this one! And this is why I'm still studying! Thank you so much