the lucky ones

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
08-08-2012, 03:39 PM
the lucky ones
Some of you live in countries where atheism is the norm. I love fantasizing about not being surrounded by idiots and being the outsider when it comes to this topic. I hate having to defend my disbelief to people who believe in imaginary friends and no absolutely nothing about their own relgion. But I am curious, what attracted you guys to this site? I don't think if I had not been raised in, and now surrounded by and made to choke down our awful politicians relgious bullshit I wouldn't put much thought into my disbelief at all.

Life is short and hard like a body building elf-- Blood Hound Gang
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 4 users Like k37713's post
08-08-2012, 04:10 PM
RE: the lucky ones
(08-08-2012 03:39 PM)k37713 Wrote:  But I am curious, what attracted you guys to this site? I don't think if I had not been raised in, and now surrounded by and made to choke down our awful politicians relgious bullshit I wouldn't put much thought into my disbelief at all.

Personally, it's about conversing with like-minded people. My more dominant viewpoints involve humanism, atheism and misanthropy. I couldn't find a humanist forum that appealed to me... and (unsurprisingly) misanthropes don't like each other, either. Shy

That aside, whatever country you live in, the internet ignores such barriers. I interact with bible-bashers on a daily basis... and it is as frustrating for me as it is for you.

But yes. It is much easier being an atheist here than it is there.

There is a rolling-of-the-eyes and a "Uh oh, a nut-job" when a social occasion involves someone mentioning their god.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
08-08-2012, 07:11 PM
I'm here for the same appeal in some ways, but I only lived in an area like yours for a few years. I didn't grow up in it as far as the culture and I don't live in it now.

But, my friends and I are planning a bible-belt tour. I've had people ask why I wouldn't rather go to science museums or spend my time otherwise. I would, too, but they are two separate things to me. The reason is, is because the religious culture fascinates me. Just like people like to study and explore other cultures they find intriguing, religion and it's way of life is interesting to me. We are living in frustrating times, but when I take myself out of those times I realize this is a part of our story, our history and our evolution. The psychology of it, the power of it, the mystery of it.
08-08-2012, 08:10 PM (This post was last modified: 08-08-2012 08:32 PM by aurora.)
(08-08-2012 07:11 PM)LadyJane Wrote:  I'm here for the same appeal in some ways, but I only lived in an area like yours for a few years. I didn't grow up in it as far as the culture and I don't live in it now.

But, my friends and I are planning a bible-belt tour. I've had people ask why I wouldn't rather go to science museums or spend my time otherwise. I would, too, but they are two separate things to me. The reason is, is because the religious culture fascinates me. Just like people like to study and explore other cultures they find intriguing, religion and it's way of life is interesting to me. We are living in frustrating times, but when I take myself out of those times I realize this is a part of our story, our history and our evolution. The psychology of it, the power of it, the mystery of it.

Oh c'mon, LJ, you're just going for the laughs Tongue

EDIT: I found this place via Google

Humankind Dodgy (a total misnomer)
[+] 1 user Likes aurora's post
08-08-2012, 08:30 PM
I was looking for podcasts to listen to at work and searching different words. I came across the podcast first and liked what I heard so I ended up here. I like Seth's voice and manner and I like the many topics covered.

I have never really been a believer and definitely was fed up with organized religion years before I just gave up the whole God concept.

I'm not anti-social. I'm pro-solitude. Sleepy
08-08-2012, 08:34 PM
I enjoyed watching some of the videos that Seth makes on youtube. http://www.youtube.com/user/TheThinkingAtheist
I subscribed to his channel and then discovered this forum site. I like the crowd here and that includes the theists as well.
I may disagree with you but you help to keep me on my toes and ask myself WHY I disagree with you and can I provide reasons why I disagree.
If I can't then I'm just holding a contrary position for no reason and I don't want to do that.

Being here, I've found that in some rare oh so rare circumstances, I'm actually wrong - LOL
I'm probably wrong about a number of things and it's good to be corrected on what you thought was sound reasoning and or valid evidence.
If anything, I'm here to express my views, rant a bit and essentially learn.....and have fun. Can't forget that.

If this wasn't fun, I wouldn't be here.

Insanity - doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results
[+] 2 users Like Rahn127's post
08-08-2012, 11:00 PM
(08-08-2012 03:39 PM)k37713 Wrote:  ... But I am curious, what attracted you guys to this site?

I just came here by accident when looking for ways to buy Seth's t-shirts and mugs without a credit card.

I stayed to be obnoxious and too corect peeples grama dna spilling.

[+] 1 user Likes DLJ's post
08-08-2012, 11:13 PM
the lucky ones
I'm only here on a trial basis to see if I'll like it or not.

It was just a fucking apple man, we're sorry okay? Please stop the madness Laugh out load
~Izel
[+] 4 users Like Erxomai's post
09-08-2012, 12:27 AM
(08-08-2012 11:13 PM)Erxomai Wrote:  I'm only here on a trial basis to see if I'll like it or not.

Oooh! Irony.

I'm confused now, where were you born?

09-08-2012, 12:31 AM
(09-08-2012 12:27 AM)DLJ Wrote:  
(08-08-2012 11:13 PM)Erxomai Wrote:  I'm only here on a trial basis to see if I'll like it or not.

Oooh! Irony.

I'm confused now, where were you born?

He wasn't born he was hatched! Yes

Humankind Dodgy (a total misnomer)
[+] 1 user Likes aurora's post