the lucky ones

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
09-08-2012, 12:34 AM
RE: the lucky ones
(09-08-2012 12:31 AM)aurora Wrote:  
(09-08-2012 12:27 AM)DLJ Wrote:  Oooh! Irony.

I'm confused now, where were you born?

He wasn't born he was hatched! Yes

... or spawned?

Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
09-08-2012, 01:39 AM
Australia is the place to be! Tongue

I live in technically what we consider the bible belt of Australia and to be honest it's the most chilled place, there's a million and one churches but no one really minds, the religious are relaxed and to be honest religion is the last topic on anyone's mind. I go to a strong christian school, but the school is heavily invested in the advancement of science. They're currently building a $40 million science centre in our school which will even be allowed to be used by research scientists from neighbouring uni's etc.

In terms of Govt. our Prime Minister is an atheist (too bad she sucks and everyone can't wait for the next election to boot her out XD) And the media never goes on to religion, and even when there is a debate (in some rare circumstance where Dawkins visits etc) the majority population identifies with being non - religious. With that said there will always be a few religious nuts, but none of them do anything AT ALL. Our politics and news is actually focused on real matters, not whining over useless and rather pointless religious debates as we so often see in American Media.
[+] 1 user Likes MKilby's post
09-08-2012, 01:44 AM
(08-08-2012 03:39 PM)k37713 Wrote:  But I am curious, what attracted you guys to this site?

I was going through youtube looking for videos on atheism. I was looking for ammo to fire back at some of the idiots at the church ranch i was living in. Few of the videos I came across directed me to this site here.

Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. -- Voltaire
09-08-2012, 03:33 AM
(08-08-2012 03:39 PM)k37713 Wrote:  Some of you live in countries where atheism is the norm. I love fantasizing about not being surrounded by idiots and being the outsider when it comes to this topic. I hate having to defend my disbelief to people who believe in imaginary friends and no absolutely nothing about their own relgion. But I am curious, what attracted you guys to this site? I don't think if I had not been raised in, and now surrounded by and made to choke down our awful politicians relgious bullshit I wouldn't put much thought into my disbelief at all.

Well, I'm from Norway. Roughly 96% of the population do not believe in a personal God. Surveys will show that over 90% are ALSO part of the former state church, but they simply don't believe. I'm baptized and thus registered as a christian. I can't be assed to call them and have them send me the form to get out of the church and mail it back to them.

First movie I saw from TTA was Top Ten Creationist Arguments. My only knowledge of a creationist came from The Big Bang Theory and honestly I thought Sheldon's mom was an over the top stereotype. Hyperbole if you will.

I liked it and kept watching the movies, avoiding the podcasts but I felt I wasn't getting "it". Why would someone spend so much time and effort to ridicule some hillbilly retards living removed from the rest of society. I took a deep breath and figured the answer was in the podcasts and clicked on the first. And I found my answer, which frankly was appaling! It wasn't some fringe societies believing the world is 6000 years old it was normal people. Average, otherwise normal people who believed it and it all fell into place.

Being an atheist doesn't mean you're not an idiot, not by a long shot, but it's one less thing you know?

I'm sure christians in Norway feel like you do, they have to defend their views. I know..two in total who are christian and both times I said "Why?...HOW?" out of pure disbelief. However, Norwegians are very private when it comes to religion. You could know a person for years and unless something pops up or the topic comes up in conversation you'll never know.
[+] 4 users Like sillinde's post
09-08-2012, 09:35 AM
the lucky ones
(09-08-2012 12:27 AM)DLJ Wrote:  
(08-08-2012 11:13 PM)Erxomai Wrote:  I'm only here on a trial basis to see if I'll like it or not.

Oooh! Irony.

I'm confused now, where were you born?

In a hospital.

It was just a fucking apple man, we're sorry okay? Please stop the madness Laugh out load
~Izel
09-08-2012, 10:03 AM
(09-08-2012 01:39 AM)MKilby Wrote:  Australia is the place to be! Tongue

Our ... news is actually focused on real matters, ...

Yup, that's why the last time I was in Darwin the headline read: "Snake eats frog"

09-08-2012, 11:36 AM
I came here because I wanted to find out how life REALLY works.

I was (and still am) thoroughly disgusted by the behaviour of the RC church in my country following a major paedophilia scandal and a cover up.

If I have something that you could call a philosophical enemy, then it is the Roman catholic clergy.

I'm in no sense against ordinary and moderate people who say they believe in a god. (Although I always point them to the fact that they are the foundation on which clergy builds their authority.)

I am truly disgusted by the idea that, someone, some day, can have the ambition to "make a career" out of something as elusive as a God-concept. I loathe people with more ambition then morals. They are the true cancer and the leaches of society, religion by itself isn't.

Observer

Agnostic atheist
Secular humanist
Emotional rationalist
Disclaimer: Don’t mix the personal opinion above with the absolute and objective truth. Remember to think for yourself. Thank you.
[+] 1 user Likes Observer's post
09-08-2012, 12:07 PM
Thanks for all the replies guys Smile Also, sorry for all the typos/spelling/grammatical errors in my first post.. I was in a haste when I posted.
Anyhow, I am certainly jealous of being in a "real" community that doesn't get labeled or lectured for their lack of belief. I am certainly not trying to whine about my theists friends that are "worried" about my soul.. it just gets really old having the same conversation and getting those "oh you misguided child" look thrown at you. I am 30 years old, please stop looking at me like a sick puppy. They always end the same way .. faith .. or god explains anything they can not. Or they circle up and start asking me about some scientific shit that I am not qualified to answer and then say OHHH you can't prove that so why do you "believe" it..as if me not knowing the ins and outs of every scientific question that they send my way means that it can't be verified by someone who has done the studies. very irritating.
Also, it seems like people think that my atheism defines me and is the culprit for my dark and often misunderstood humor. I'm pretty blunt and people don't expect it from such a perky, up beat person. When they find out about my atheism -- its like ohhhhh and a light bulb goes off - -thats why shes a lil off.. EEK Smile
-- side note - I really am not complaining as I've seen some horrible stories on this site of people being rejected by their own families.. just venting Smile

Life is short and hard like a body building elf-- Blood Hound Gang
[+] 2 users Like k37713's post
09-08-2012, 12:37 PM
(09-08-2012 12:07 PM)k37713 Wrote:  Or they circle up and start asking me about some scientific shit that I am not qualified to answer and then say OHHH you can't prove that so why do you "believe" it..as if me not knowing the ins and outs of every scientific question that they send my way means that it can't be verified by someone who has done the studies.

Have you tried explaining to them that you're an atheist not a scientist and that even scientists don't know everything? Tongue
[+] 2 users Like sillinde's post
10-08-2012, 06:13 AM
(09-08-2012 10:03 AM)DLJ Wrote:  
(09-08-2012 01:39 AM)MKilby Wrote:  Australia is the place to be! Tongue

Our ... news is actually focused on real matters, ...

Yup, that's why the last time I was in Darwin the headline read: "Snake eats frog"

There's one problem with that joke, you're talking about.... Darwin.... I really shouldn't have to say more than that XD That would be a fast news day for Darwin Wink