the rise of the radical religious right and the breakdown of democracy in the US

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
02-03-2014, 09:11 AM
RE: the rise of the radical religious right and the breakdown of democracy in the US
(01-03-2014 11:35 PM)toadaly Wrote:  
(01-03-2014 10:56 PM)evenheathen Wrote:  True. But what I was saying is that the trend seems to be towards more people thinking. There will always be loud unthinking imbeciles and a thousand that will listen to them. But as long as there is a bigger trend toward reason, I'm optimistic.

You hold more hope than I do. Maybe I'm just older and more jaded, but it appears to me that the masses are perpetually getting more and more stupid and less critical at an alarming rate. I wouldn't be at all surprised to see witch trials again 100 years from now.

I agree with even heathen, but I get the feeling they aren't participating with their votes, seems like they have checked out of the process. I rarely see voters younger than me at the polls, and I'm 46.

"Life is a daring adventure or it is nothing"--Helen Keller
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
02-03-2014, 09:27 AM
RE: the rise of the radical religious right and the breakdown of democracy in the US
(02-03-2014 09:11 AM)Bows and Arrows Wrote:  
(01-03-2014 11:35 PM)toadaly Wrote:  You hold more hope than I do. Maybe I'm just older and more jaded, but it appears to me that the masses are perpetually getting more and more stupid and less critical at an alarming rate. I wouldn't be at all surprised to see witch trials again 100 years from now.

I agree with even heathen, but I get the feeling they aren't participating with their votes, seems like they have checked out of the process. I rarely see voters younger than me at the polls, and I'm 46.

Because the tragedy of the apathetic commons is a self-fulfulling prophecy.

If one (or, a whole demographic) politically disengages, they'll certainly no longer be catered to or accounted for by politicians who have no chance of their support; being ignored as a non-participant is not much of an incentive to re-enter public discourse...

... this is my signature!
02-03-2014, 09:31 AM
(02-03-2014 09:27 AM)cjlr Wrote:  
(02-03-2014 09:11 AM)Bows and Arrows Wrote:  I agree with even heathen, but I get the feeling they aren't participating with their votes, seems like they have checked out of the process. I rarely see voters younger than me at the polls, and I'm 46.

Because the tragedy of the apathetic commons is a self-fulfulling prophecy.

If one (or, a whole demographic) politically disengages, they'll certainly no longer be catered to or accounted for by politicians who have no chance of their support; being ignored as a non-participant is not much of an incentive to re-enter public discourse...

http://www.ropercenter.uconn.edu/electio...ed_12.html

Well participation was up last cycle but it is still horrible across the board.

(31-07-2014 04:37 PM)Luminon Wrote:  America is full of guns, but they're useless, because nobody has the courage to shoot an IRS agent in self-defense
02-03-2014, 09:43 AM
(02-03-2014 09:31 AM)Revenant77x Wrote:  
(02-03-2014 09:27 AM)cjlr Wrote:  Because the tragedy of the apathetic commons is a self-fulfulling prophecy.

http://www.ropercenter.uconn.edu/electio...ed_12.html

Well participation was up last cycle but it is still horrible across the board.

What I find particularly odd is that as low as presidential turnout is (50% lol democracy), it's still much higher than for other offices. You can win a governor's seat on 20% of the electorate - that's just sad.

03-03-2014, 06:49 AM
(27-02-2014 12:58 AM)toadaly Wrote:  It leaves voters in the position of having to choose between an all powerful government with high taxes, or one that is just big enough to fit in your pants.

Um, no. Facepalm

[Image: Untitled-2.png?_subject_uid=322943157&am...Y7Dzq4lJog]
03-03-2014, 10:52 AM
(03-03-2014 06:49 AM)Logica Humano Wrote:  
(27-02-2014 12:58 AM)toadaly Wrote:  It leaves voters in the position of having to choose between an all powerful government with high taxes, or one that is just big enough to fit in your pants.

Um, no. Facepalm

Wow. That's quite the rebuttal. Drinking Beverage

Softly, softly, catchee monkey.
03-03-2014, 02:32 PM
The hyperbole aside, I agree with toadaly's basic premise. The major parties cater to the fringes. And, the worst part is they agree on like 95% of all issues. That's why I generally vote third party these days. I think it's important to vote but I refuse to contribute to this 2 headed shared-brain monster that governs us.

Shackle their minds when they're bent on the cross
When ignorance reigns, life is lost
03-03-2014, 02:43 PM
(03-03-2014 02:32 PM)BnW Wrote:  The major parties cater to the fringes. And, the worst part is they agree on like 95% of all issues.

That's not coherent...

03-03-2014, 03:13 PM
Sorry, let me try that again.

The two major parties govern the same way on an overwhelming majority of the issues, maybe 95%. To differentiate themselves, they cater to the fringes on issues like gay marriage, abortions, guns. Those are the things or elections are about, because it's already a given both parties believe things l like Wall Street should be able to pillage our economy at will, as just one example.

Shackle their minds when they're bent on the cross
When ignorance reigns, life is lost
03-03-2014, 03:16 PM
(03-03-2014 03:13 PM)BnW Wrote:  Sorry, let me try that again.

The two major parties govern the same way on an overwhelming majority of the issues, maybe 95%. To differentiate themselves, they cater to the fringes on issues like gay marriage, abortions, guns. Those are the things or elections are about, because it's already a given both parties believe things l like Wall Street should be able to pillage our economy at will, as just one example.

That is an equivalence fallacy that is not actually born out if you datamine voting habits and proposed legislation. It is something people who are too lazy to look at issues say to pat themselves on the back for being lazy and ignorant.

(31-07-2014 04:37 PM)Luminon Wrote:  America is full of guns, but they're useless, because nobody has the courage to shoot an IRS agent in self-defense