the rise of the radical religious right and the breakdown of democracy in the US

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
03-03-2014, 03:32 PM
RE: the rise of the radical religious right and the breakdown of democracy in the US
(03-03-2014 03:16 PM)Revenant77x Wrote:  
(03-03-2014 03:13 PM)BnW Wrote:  Sorry, let me try that again.

The two major parties govern the same way on an overwhelming majority of the issues, maybe 95%. To differentiate themselves, they cater to the fringes on issues like gay marriage, abortions, guns. Those are the things or elections are about, because it's already a given both parties believe things l like Wall Street should be able to pillage our economy at will, as just one example.

That is an equivalence fallacy that is not actually born out if you datamine voting habits and proposed legislation. It is something people who are too lazy to look at issues say to pat themselves on the back for being lazy and ignorant.

No, Rev, I'm pretty sure the following is totally real and not at all satire.

... this is my signature!
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
03-03-2014, 03:32 PM
RE: the rise of the radical religious right and the breakdown of democracy in the US
Right, I'm lazy. And yet despite the constant back and forth between parties we have the same spending habits, same basic tax policy, same basic foreign policy, same basic fiscal policy, etc.

Here a question for you: who was president when deregulated the financial industry and the telecom industry? I will save you looking: it was Clinton. Things that are generally attributed to republicans was done by Clinton. As were many of the things Bush got blamed for.

We get individuals who buck the trends, but as governing bodies the two parties do the same thing over 90% of the time. Bush is almost indistinguishable from Obama.

Shackle their minds when they're bent on the cross
When ignorance reigns, life is lost
03-03-2014, 03:36 PM
(03-03-2014 03:32 PM)BnW Wrote:  Right, I'm lazy. And yet despite the constant back and forth between parties we have the same spending habits, same basic tax policy, same basic foreign policy, same basic fiscal policy, etc.

God forbid it's because that's what appeals to a sufficiently broad electorate to win office.

(03-03-2014 03:32 PM)BnW Wrote:  Here a question for you: who was president when deregulated the financial industry and the telecom industry? I will save you looking: it was Clinton. Things that are generally attributed to republicans was done by Clinton. As were many of the things Bush got blamed for.

Um... so?

(03-03-2014 03:32 PM)BnW Wrote:  We get individuals who buck the trends, but as governing bodies the two parties do the same thing over 90% of the time. Bush is almost indistinguishable from Obama.

Because your government is not just the President. There's also both chambers and a large bureaucracy which didn't change on the same schedule, among many other factors...

... this is my signature!
03-03-2014, 03:59 PM
I agree there are many factors. I agree the government is more than one office. My point was, for most issues, it doesn't really matter which side wins. Very little really changes. Sure, some stuff does. If McCain won in 08 we wouldn't have the new health care law. But, if dole won in 96 we may have had it 10 years earlier since that we what the republicans were proposing. The financial crises would have happened as it happened pretty much no matter who won. And, i think the pathetic response would not change either.

Shackle their minds when they're bent on the cross
When ignorance reigns, life is lost