the tilting point

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
24-03-2016, 11:12 PM
the tilting point
I was wondering.. on two questions.. the first is... in your opinion what the difference between freedom, liberty, and anarchy.... the other question is... 2. does democracy have a population limit.... for example.. can a democracy become so full of opinions that it ceases to be effective.. i.e. to many cooks over one countries pot... just curious to the answers to these things.. ty for your time.

1. Striding and swaggering rootlessness without end. The precious flow of life.
2. one should fear sweet a blood stained flower.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
25-03-2016, 12:52 AM
RE: the tilting point
(24-03-2016 11:12 PM)kunoxian drive Wrote:  I was wondering.. on two questions.. the first is... in your opinion what the difference between freedom, liberty, and anarchy.... the other question is... 2. does democracy have a population limit.... for example.. can a democracy become so full of opinions that it ceases to be effective.. i.e. to many cooks over one countries pot... just curious to the answers to these things.. ty for your time.

Freedom:
"The power or right to act, speak, or think as one wants without hindrance or restraint."

Liberty:
"The state of being free within society from oppressive restrictions imposed by authority on one's way of life, behavior, or political views."

Anarchy:
"A state of disorder due to absence or nonrecognition of authority."
(c. Google)

So in short, freedom means you can do something freely, liberty means you have (at least implicit) permission, and anarchy is when there's no one to give permission.

To answer your second question, it's obvious that there's no room for democracy at all in certain situations. For example, if someone is shooting at you, you don't have time to take a vote to decide if you should shoot back, you simply have to choose. However, there are certain things for which democracy is a perfect choice. For example, if you have a group of 10 people and have to decide on a single place to eat, you take suggestions and then vote. So, a better question than "is there a size limit" would be "when should democracy be implemented?"
25-03-2016, 01:30 AM
that question is a good one but I was asking more along the lines of... when are there too many people to not trample on someones right/ when is there to many opinions to never end up with bloody revolution in some fashion.

25-03-2016, 01:37 AM
(25-03-2016 01:30 AM)kunoxian drive Wrote:  that question is a good one but I was asking more along the lines of... when are there too many people to not trample on someones right/ when is there to many opinions to never end up with bloody revolution in some fashion.

Interesting questions. For which I have no valid answers. The world's population has never been so large. So there is no history to really base it on.

Large empires in the past have generally become dictatorships over time.

May I ask, why are you asking these questions? Is it for some kind of study?

NOTE: Member, Tomasia uses this site to slander other individuals. He then later proclaims it a joke, but not in public.
I will call him a liar and a dog here and now.
Banjo.
25-03-2016, 01:39 AM
(25-03-2016 01:37 AM)Banjo Wrote:  
(25-03-2016 01:30 AM)kunoxian drive Wrote:  that question is a good one but I was asking more along the lines of... when are there too many people to not trample on someones right/ when is there to many opinions to never end up with bloody revolution in some fashion.

Interesting questions. For which I have no valid answers. The world's population has never been so large. So there is no history to really base it on.

Large empires in the past have generally become dictatorships over time.

May I ask, why are you asking these questions? Is it for some kind of study?

jsut plan curiosity.. I love to think/ have intellectual discussions/here critical anilisis.. thats why I ak this question....

[+] 1 user Likes kunoxian drive's post
25-03-2016, 01:42 AM
(25-03-2016 01:39 AM)kunoxian drive Wrote:  jsut plan curiosity.. I love to think/ have intellectual discussions/here critical anilisis.. thats why I ak this question....

Cool. I wish I had an answer for you. Blush

NOTE: Member, Tomasia uses this site to slander other individuals. He then later proclaims it a joke, but not in public.
I will call him a liar and a dog here and now.
Banjo.
[+] 1 user Likes Banjo's post
25-03-2016, 01:43 AM
Freedom is the idea and liberty is a possibility of acting on it. But for most part these words are synonymous to me. Anarchy is ultimate enslavement where only strongest and most ruthless could have any freedom and nobody is stopping them from denying it to others.

As for democracy don't know. It depends on willingness of people to compromise and quality of their discussion skills.

The first revolt is against the supreme tyranny of theology, of the phantom of God. As long as we have a master in heaven, we will be slaves on earth.

Mikhail Bakunin.
[+] 1 user Likes Szuchow's post
25-03-2016, 10:15 AM
I've honestly never been a fan of democracy, it's a bloody mess and is largely just mob rule. The majority ruling over the minority. Possibly at the local level, but on scale of 300+ million people? Not in my opinion.

A functional Constitutional Republic on the other hand I do rather like.

When valour preys on reason, it eats the sword it fights with.