the value of common sense in science

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
24-02-2012, 02:33 PM
Video the value of common sense in science
In a discussion on math in another section, I was reminded of this video by c0nc0rdance:

There is another video by... someone that talks about democracy in science too (which is a good vid). I'll look for it later.

Defy gravity... stand up. Drinking Beverage
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes craniumonempty's post
24-02-2012, 09:39 PM
RE: the value of common sense in science
Something which is common sense to one may not be to another. For instance, sin2A = 2sinAcosA is common sense to college students, but that may not apply for high school students. So, if you do not understand a certain topic, for instance the use of probability in the Monty Hall Problem or how electrons are matter waves, don't dismiss it as something nonsensical. Understanding a subject thoroughly is what makes it common sense.

Welcome to science. You're gonna like it here - Phil Plait

Have you ever tried taking a comfort blanket away from a small child? - DLJ
24-02-2012, 10:43 PM
(24-02-2012 09:39 PM)robotworld Wrote:  Understanding a subject thoroughly is what makes it common sense.

No, that's just what makes it sense. For it to be common sense, most people would have to understand a subject thoroughly. So most sensible things are not common sense, simply because most people are ignorant of sensible things.

Therefore religion.

ZING!
[+] 2 users Like rook2004's post
24-02-2012, 10:44 PM
(24-02-2012 10:43 PM)rook2004 Wrote:  
(24-02-2012 09:39 PM)robotworld Wrote:  Understanding a subject thoroughly is what makes it common sense.

No, that's just what makes it sense. For it to be common sense, most people would have to understand a subject thoroughly. So most sensible things are not common sense, simply because most people are ignorant of sensible things.

Therefore religion.

ZING!

That's right! It's not so 'common' anymore.

Humankind Dodgy (a total misnomer)
25-02-2012, 03:29 AM
(24-02-2012 10:44 PM)aurora2020 Wrote:  That's right! It's not so 'common' anymore.

I hope that trend continues. To bad this country isn't progressing as much as the States (which is hard to judge because of the politics), but it takes steps.

25-02-2012, 09:22 AM
Video The Tyranny of Evidence...
Ok, I found video about science not being a democracy, and it turned out to be c0nc0rdance also:

Here is another by him:

The relativity of wrong

Well, sorry for my apparent c0nc0rdance boner. He's a great youtuber and puts a lot of work into every video. He follows evidence even if it's contrary to what people think should be. If you aren't already subbed to his channel, then you really should take a look.

Oh, and sorry about the mental image of a boner. At least I didn't say that I splewged jizz all over the screen, tried to hump my screen, or something.. cause who would say that?

[+] 1 user Likes craniumonempty's post